Roanoke Stores and Retail

soloextreme

...I'm wondering what the state could do to jump start the economic engines for the Roanoke area. You guys need some help attracting some big business there too. It seems to me that the state lacks in helping other metros out other than the capital area.

The best thing the state could do is help us out with a 4 year college. Roanoke is the largest city in the U.S. without a 4 year institution of higher learning. :angry: There is the Jefferson college of health sciences, but it is small and mainly provides associates for nursing. Roanoke college (also small) is 6 or 7 miles from downtown in salem, and Hollins college (also small) is about 6 miles away in the Hollins area of Roanoke county. Virginia Tech is huge and only 25 miles away (as the crow flies), but it is a 40 minute drive away, too far to have much influence on Roanoke.

Roanoke needs a decent sized college (at least 2000 students) closer to downtown. Even if the state could open a satellite campus of a university that would help tremendously. Virginia colleges are unable to grow fast enough to meet increasing demand, and are turning away high percentages of applicants. Why is there no push to open any new campuses? :unsure:

To tie this back into the retail thread, Virginia tech students, if they've been to Roanoke at all, have usually only been to the airport or the stores (mainly at Valley View Mall) not available anywhere else near the school.

• Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The best thing the state could do is help us out with a 4 year college. Roanoke is the largest city in the U.S. without a 4 year institution of higher learning. :angry: There is the Jefferson college of health sciences, but it is small and mainly provides associates for nursing. Roanoke college (also small) is 6 or 7 miles from downtown in salem, and Hollins college (also small) is about 6 miles away in the Hollins area of Roanoke county. Virginia Tech is huge and only 25 miles away (as the crow flies), but it is a 40 minute drive away, too far to have much influence on Roanoke.

Roanoke needs a decent sized college (at least 2000 students) closer to downtown. Even if the state could open a satellite campus of a university that would help tremendously. Virginia colleges are unable to grow fast enough to meet increasing demand, and are turning away high percentages of applicants. Why is there no push to open any new campuses? :unsure:

I seem to recall an effort at some point in the 80s to expand VWCC into a 4-year institution. Honestly, though, with VT so close, I don't think anything will ever happen in Roanoke proper.

Roanoke and Martinsville could both justifiably support small state schools, but the General Assembly is dragging its feet on the idea.

The folks in power in Richmond tend to see Southwest and Central Virginia as cultural backwaters, much like many of the major retail chains. How's that for a segway? ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Russ, you are right, we really need new jobs here for us to take the next step forward. I think most of the small population growth in the metro has likely been form retirees.

A satelite university would do wonders. I agree whole heartedly with mclawsdrive. A major 4 year institution of higher learning would likely help attract business. Unfortunately, Tech is too close for a public school to develop and too far for it to be associated strongly with Roanoke. Perhaps a private school could develop and grow. Maybe JCHS?

Another thing that would help would be increasing access through transporation. Roanoke airport could and should become a larger more full service airport as it is conveniently located between Lynchburg and the New River Valley. Thus it could serve a significant population base. Better airfares certainly are a consideration for business looking to locate here. Perhaps development of I-73 would facilitate access as well. Those are my random thoughts!

A satelite University would do wanders. I agree whole heartedly with mclawsdrive. A major 4 year institution of higher learning would likely help attract business. Unfortunately, Tech is too close for a public school to develop and too far for it to be associated strongly with Roanoke. Perhaps a private school could develop and grow. Maybe JCHS?
There has to be a solution.

If I didn't know better, I'd be convinced that Richmond is a horrible place to do business, and that the only reason it isn't a dust bowl is that the state does EVERYTHING for it.

The state might help Russ, but I'm offended that you feel that the region lacks anything else that makes it competitive.

• 2 weeks later...

CBL & Associates Properties has officially released info on the "The District at Valley View."

The lifestyle center will feature Barnes & Noble, plus fashion retailers and restaurants including Carrabba's Italian Grille, Abuelo's Mexican Food Embassy and Panera Bread. The multi-million dollar project includes the addition and redevelopment of 76,000 square feet of space on the northeast quadrant of Valley View Mall, near the entrance to JCPenney and the main mall entrance. Construction is scheduled for completion by the end of the year.

Full article

Two things I've picked up by asking around:

1) As was stated earlier in the thread, JCPenney plans to remodel its Valley View store, in part because it abuts the new development (and CBL gave them some money to do so). JCPenney Tanglewood will be remodeled too.

2) Also, I talked to a woman at Barnes & Noble Tanglewood today after I read the news. She said that it's still up in the air about what will happen to their store once the B&N in The District at Valley View opens, but they they had no plans to close at this time.

I really hope they keep the Tanglewood B&N open. I can run up there on my lunch break. I think the market could handle two of them. I was really hoping it would be a Border's to add some more variety. Books-A-Million might need to get on the ball though and remodel that store.
It sounds like they might keep B&N Tanglewood open. i know i told the lady i thought they should when I called them. More people need to do that, I think.

I was blown away that it wasn't Borders. With them coming to Christiansburg and a strong Waldenbooks in the mall already, it would have been a logical fit. But I do know this, Books-A-Million is looking really ghetto these days, and it's probably going to close soon. I can feel it. They're letting the place fall apart.

StevenRocks...do tell what rumors you have heard! I would LOVE to hear!
I wish I could. But I can't really tell anything until I get some more concrete info. I would hate to put something out on a public forum that didn't have at least some definate paperwork attached to it. Like I said, stay tuned.

Nobody's talking officially, but there are some really cool things coming soon.

You're such a tease! :lol: I hope that whatever it is winds up being more than mere speculation or rumor. I am intrigued about what it is you know Steven. Can you at least tell us if you think it has a realistic shot at happening?

What do you think the chances are that Roanoke would see a Nordstrom pop up in the next few years??

The one here in Richmond is less than impressive, IMO. I can't imagine one in Roanoke.

Archived