Native American Population in Oklahoma

Mith242

I was hoping someone might have something to say about the Native American population in Oklahoma. I'm also been curious to find out more on how reservations in Oklahoma compare to reservations say in states like New Mexico and Arizona. Anyone have any info they'd be willing to share?

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was hoping someone might have something to say about the Native American population in Oklahoma.  I'm also been curious to find out more on how reservations in Oklahoma compare to reservations say in states like New Mexico and Arizona.  Anyone have any info they'd be willing to share?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

california has the largest indian population at 687,400 and OK is second with 398,200. going by proportion ok is second with 11.3% claiming indian heritage. alaska is first with 18.9%

okc has the largest population for any race or ethnic group in the state except for indians. 17,743 (2000 census) compared to tulsas' 18,551.

I was hoping someone might have something to say about the Native American population in Oklahoma.  I'm also been curious to find out more on how reservations in Oklahoma compare to reservations say in states like New Mexico and Arizona.  Anyone have any info they'd be willing to share?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oklahoma has a larger Native American population than even the census numbers show when people of mixed race are counted, the number of people enrolled in tribes here eclipses the numbers the US census show.

But there are no reservations here like what there are in the west, they don't exist.

Native American nations and people are intermingled throughout the state, the city of Tulsa lies in three different national tribal areas itself. If it was like a western reservation, the city of Tulsa would be split among three reservations.

Archived