So....

MadVlad

So, all of us being armchair Developers, how the hell do we convey our ideas for the city to someone that A) won't pat us on the head like we're 8 years old, B ) will actually have a shot at getting anything done, and C) will even entertain an idea by some people with enough time to waste on a cool Urban Planet message board?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, all of us being armchair Developers, how the hell do we convey our ideas for the city to someone that A) won't pat us on the head like we're 8 years old, B  ) will actually have a shot at getting anything done, and C) will even entertain an idea by some people with enough time to waste on a cool Urban Planet message board?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

We have pondered this in the Providence board a couple of times.

First, e-mail prominent local figures (Mayor, council-people, etc) and let them know about the board. A few times, some people in government have popped in to the Providence board to let us know they were around.

Another thing we've occasionally pondered doing there is a UP-Providence "letter to the editor" or editorial submission to the local newspaper. Supposedly, an anti-development coalition in Providence just submitted an op-ed piece to the paper about wanting height limitations, and this might prompt us to reply in kind. Letters to the editor and op-ed pieces have long been a place groups have let their agendas be heard. You can do the same!

- Garris

Providence, RI

I've written a few letters to the Courant about various things, not a big fan of it anymore and I'll tell you why. Unfortunately, they have this rule that the writers town must be included after the letter. well, I wrote one about a month ago pertaining to the Park/Main Gateway and the development plans for it. Lo and behold, 2 days later, I receive a letter in the mail. Basically, some guy took it upon himself to look up my address, then write me a letter quoting various things from my letter, but spinning them into some sort of religious zealotry. He also included the most recent copy of "the Watchtower", which is the Jehovah's Witness' newspaper. It really freaked out my fiancee', but really pissed me off. So, unless it's super important, I won't be writing any letters to the editor....

I actually am pretty well connected with our local and state politicians. My mother used to be on the Hartford School board and alot of Politicians have watched me grow up and are waiting for me to make a move. I have some things in the works right now but I am not ready to discuss them publicly. I also have written to the Courant on various topics and got a letter published about a month ago.

Archived