Does MB need an Interstate?

myrtlesquare

Do you think the Myrtle Beach area needs an interstate highway? Explain why, if you can.  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think the Myrtle Beach area needs an interstate highway? Explain why, if you can.

• Yes, US 501 is too congested and it needs to be replaced by an interstate in its path.
    • Yes, but an alternative route needs to be made with existing limited-access freeways, such as the Conway Bypass and the Carolina Bays Parkway.
    • Yes, it would boost our economy.
    • No, a new interstate would hurt the swampy areas, and the natural scenery would be destroyed.
    • No, Myrtle Beach already has alternative routes to leave it besides US 501.
    • No, I fly into Myrtle Beach, instead. Avoiding all traffic.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry about that - listen, I'll contact some folks I know in Washington & I promise you they will build an interstate highway from - how about Greensboro & I'll call the freeway.... how does 73 sound? Also I'll throw in another freeway for the area called.... 74!

But it might be a while until you see anything, ;)

MB needs a limited access east-west connection between I-95 and the US 17 bypass. Utilizing some existening portions of US 501 with some relocations, bypasses and frontage roads would be a great thing. Once US 501 comes towards SC 22 (Conway Bypass), there should be a southeastern route paralleling SC 544 to connect US 17 bypass. US 501 between Conway to SC 31 should be a jersey freeway.

I've read about how the NC governor and others in the past wanted I-20 to extend fron Florence to Wilmington for a truck route to Atlanta among other reasons before SCDOT told them they weren't paying for that. I didn't think that extension would be necessary with the planned constructions of 73, 74 and I-140 in the area.

Archived