Charlotte scores high on cleanliness

Raintree21

Charlotte scores high on cleanliness

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- The Queen City is getting cleaner, according to a study just released by the Keep Charlotte Beautiful Committee.

The group uses national standards to rate the city on litter, graffiti and urban blight, and the rating improved for the third straight year.

On a scale of 1-4, with 1 being the cleanest, Charlotte is now a 1.38. It was 1.44 last year and 1.87 in 2003........

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the street cleans are constantly running around downtown. the areas around construction get very dirty, but before long, the street cleaner runs by, and it is as good as new. Part of the perception of cleanliness also comes from the streets themselves (ie., not just the sidewalks and buildings). the streets downtown get repaved on quite a frequent basis, so the city often looks new. the buildings all look clean because they are almost all less than a decade old, and own by image-conscious banks that clean them.

And, of course, they also have sidewalk cleaners.

i think having a clean downtown has gone a long way to building up a perception of having low crime. i'm not sure what it is, but the dirty an area, the more it seems seedy and high-crime.

I was absolutely surprised at how squeaky clean uptown Charlotte seemed to be when I went there for the Mineta protest a couple months ago. I rode the trolley in, and it almost felt like it was getting ready for "opening day" so everything had been scrubbed and polished, but not a lot of people out and about just yet.

Raleigh doesn't have that same squeaky-clean look but you can tell that they still do a pretty good job on upkeep.

In contrast, go to downtown Asheville, and many places can be downright grungy. The streets are swept infrequently, the sidewalks are old, uneven, cracked, and just plain substandard in many places. The pavement is in poor condition throughout much of downtown. There are also plenty of panhandlers and a good few derelict buildings that haven't gotten the "TLC" they need just yet. But in my opinion, the grunginess makes it feel more genuine - and I don't think Asheville could pull off it's unique homegrown hippie-meets-yuppie thing if everything were immaculate like Charlotte.

Just goes to show that each city has its own special thing going on.

• 4 months later...

I'm fairly new to the boards so this may have already been discussed, but I just thought I'd give you Charlotte folks a compliment real quick.

I travel a lot and have been to many big cities and I have never seen a city the size of yours, as clean as Charlotte is. I dont know what it is, but the city is spotless. The construction sites look like models, the streets are always free of debris, you never see trash, and some how the bums are minimal.

I think a lot of other cities could learn a lot from your reigon. I love coming there and will continue to do so for years to come.

no, new orleans takes teh cake in the trash/dirt catergory.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Solo, I have to agree with you 100%!!! New Orleans is an GRITY city!!! I think the swampy region has some kinda affect on the city. Every street has a different, dingy smell to it & the buildings downtown look old & worn completely out.

the city is below sea level #1 and #2 its sits below and between two bodys of water, the mississippi and lake pontchartrain. everytime there is a real good rain, the nasty water from both bodies of water slowly make its ways to the depths of the quarter and the rest of downtown nawlens. its a given its going to smell like trash. not to mention the 24/7 partying going on.

Solo, I have to agree with you 100%!!! New Orleans is an GRITY city!!! I think the swampy region has some kinda affect on the city. Every street has a different, dingy smell to it & the buildings downtown look old & worn completely out.

This depends on where you are. New Orleans has many beautiful areas too.

Archived