Greensboro vs. Winston-Salem

twincity

The Triad feuding has once again materialized. WSSU continues to do big things as the school strives to become an NCAA div. 1 institution and specifically a part of the MEAC, based in Greensboro. WSSU is once again ranked as one of the top public comprehensive colleges in the south by USnews magazine, retaining its status as the fastest growing public university in the state, and moving up in NCAA sports.

excerpts from journalnow.com

Rams, Aggies to renew football rivalry

WSSU will add N.C. A&T to its 2006 schedule as it continues its transition to NCAA's Division I

By John Dell

JOURNAL REPORTER

One of the best rivalries in black-college sports will be back in 2006.

Winston-Salem State will again play N.C. A&T in football. The two schools haven't played since 1999.

Athletics Director Percy Caldwell of WSSU said: "A&T will be on the schedule next year, and we are just trying to get the date finalized. We are trying to see if it will be early in the season or late in the season."

WSSU's schedule for 2006 will have a completely different look as the school continues its move to Division I. This season, the Rams will play their CIAA schedule, Division II Catawba and two MEAC teams, S.C. State and Howard.

Caldwell said he hopes to have as many as eight games next season against teams from the MEAC, a Division I-AA conference in football, and that if all goes well, the only Division II opponent would be Catawba.

Chancellor Harold Martin of WSSU, an N.C. A&T graduate, said that the two schools have missed out by not playing each other in all sports.

"It's been missing in action.... Not playing A&T has been a big loss for us the last few years," Martin said.

WSSU will apply for membership to the MEAC in the spring and won't be eligible for the conference title until 2009, but Caldwell said that scheduling MEAC teams is a must during the transition.

He said he has been working closely with several MEAC schools, trying to firm up dates for next year and beyond. Caldwell said that next season's game with A&T would be in Greensboro.

full story:

http://www.journalnow.com/servlet/Satellit...s=1037645509260

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Isnt the MEAC headqaurters moving to the Hampton Roads area in Virginia? At least thats what I heard. But yea it will be great to see that Greensboro vs Winston-Salem rivalry in the form of sports. I just wish both the city's profesional baseball teams were in the same division of single A so the Warthogs can play against the Grasshoppers.

• 5 months later...

Archived