Next city to get a pro sports franchise?

eastsider

Which city will be the next to get pro sports?  

151 members have voted

1. 1. Which city will be the next to get pro sports?

• Las Vegas
    • Norfolk/Virginia Beach
    • Providence
    • Austin
    • Louisville
    • Hartford
    • Richmond
    • Oklahoma City
    • Birmingham
    • Honolulu
    • Grand Rapids
    • Mexico City
    • Monterrey
    • San Juan

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why is the entire state of VA is pro team-less.... You have a couple of metros there that could support a franchise. I remember when the NFL was looking to expand, Richomd, Honolulu, Charlotte, Jacksonville and a few other cities were in the mix for team. Im not sure why (other than close prox. to DC) Richmond didnt land an NFL franchise.

Mexico City would definitly do well in any of the four major sports. NFL in Mexico City would be phonominal. Could you imagine: New York Jets vs. Mexico City Aguilas on NBC Sundy Night Football......the rating would be something serious

The numbers don't lie... Waterbury and Springfield are not in the Hartford metro numbers, but I believe Waterbury is in the Hartford media market. If Waterbury and Springfield were in the metro numbers, Hartford would have close to 2 million people in the metro area.

Also it is more then just "viewing area" Denver for instance has all 4 pro franchises because it is the regional interstate hub (there are Broncos and Avalanche fans in New Mexico, Wyoming, Montana, parts of Zona and Utah and Kansas) while much much bigger Cleveland, Tampa, Houston, Seattle and Los Angeles all don't (well LA is a unique situation) but Tampa is too close to Orlando, Cleveland too close to Pittsburgh, and Houston in the same state as Dallas, Seattle to close to the Vancouver market, similar to Hartford's problems being sandwiched between two huge and well entrenched metros (really three if you think of NY being so big as to field 2-3 pro franchises in every sport). If Hartford and its area were plopped down in say South Dakota they would have a team tommorrow, similar to Denver where for nearly 1,000 miles in every direction there is not a metroplex of equal strength, (Salt Lake City, and Kansas City are both "lessers" with one and two franchises respectively).

Well, let's consider that then. Being right in between Boston and New York was a bonus in the past, actually. When the Whalers would play the Bruins, Rangers, Devils, Islanders, Sabres, Canadiens, Capitols, or Flyers, there would be large contingents of their fans.... all are within 6 hours of Hartford. Even the Penguins would draw Pittsburgh people into Hartford. Now, that's assuming Hartford couldn't fill our own building, which we could, but in a gate-driven sport like hockey, every seat helps. Now, if Calgary hits town in the middle of a snow storm, well there might be a problem....

I hope Hampton Roads does. When I lived there they 7 cities pretty much pulled together for once to try and land MLB,NFL,NBA. I think the pop base is there and the fan support would be there too. There are a lot of out of state people living there that are used to going to a pro game and I know the attendance would be great.

I dont think its easy to support a mlb team. The metro has to be very large especially marketing wise and OKC and Hampton Roads are not really ideal locations for MLB teams. They could support a nba or nhl team but even thats a stretch. San Antonio, one of the most successful small market teams in the NBA obviously, even had trouble selling out there corporate suites. So if they have trouble even doing things like that. OKC will have a lot of trouble so MLB is out of the question.

The Hornets wont be staying in OKC, you can count on that.

I do know that the NFL wants a team in Las Vegas, which isnt a bad idea at all when you think about how the LV is growing so rapidly everyday.

I have also heard that Orlando wants an NFL team, but I dont know anything else about that.

Regarding the media markets, and the DMA's, they may or may not reflect the area's interest in a particular city's sports team.

TV media markets are determined by some forumla--not sure precisely--that takes into account how many of the broadcast network majors, NBC, CBS, ABC, and Fox, have an affiliate in a particular town, or whether that town gets the stations from the larger city.

I believe--again not sure precisely--if the town has 2 or more local affiliates of the majors, it is then counted as a separate TV market from the larger city down the road. Of course, having 1 affiliate or 3 affiliates doesn't mean that the locals in that town are necessarily interested or disinterested in the city's sports franchise.

The sales market for a team, in terms of ticket sales, marketing, etc., may well be different from the TV market.

The only impact I could see would be TV deals, yet if the interest is there in the smaller town, the town's affiliates would cover the city's teams anyway.

Archived