Latin American cities

Ruso

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have been to Bogota, Quito, Cartagena, Rio de Janeiro, Belo Horizonte & Sao Paulo where I live now.

The three first cities I thought very organized although lacking good rapid public transit while Rio and Sao Paulo are humongus megalopolises with their own assets. Bogota isn't dangerous as you would think while there are many risks associated to the conflict in that region. Quito is set in fantastic surroundings but is a bit boring.

Rio is absolutely stunning (the rich, most visited part of Ipanema, Copacabana, Leblon, Lagoa) while the rest is a huge, dangerous mess. Sao Paulo is also a huge mess although less violent then Rio. Nightlife, restaurants, culture, job market and shopping are much better in Sao Paulo. More people agree, after a while you prefer Sao Paulo's activites over Rio's look.

My two cents.

I have been to Bogota, Quito, Cartagena, Rio de Janeiro, Belo Horizonte & Sao Paulo where I live now.

The three first cities I thought very organized although lacking good rapid public transit while Rio and Sao Paulo are humongus megalopolises with their own assets.  Bogota isn't dangerous as you would think while there are many risks associated to the conflict in that region.  Quito is set in fantastic surroundings but is a bit boring. 

Rio is absolutely stunning (the rich, most visited part of Ipanema, Copacabana, Leblon, Lagoa) while the rest is a huge, dangerous mess.  Sao Paulo is also a huge mess although less violent then Rio.  Nightlife, restaurants, culture, job market and shopping are much better in Sao Paulo.  More people agree, after a while you prefer Sao Paulo's activites over Rio's look.

My two cents.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, I have to accept that Quito is boring. Fortunatelly, these last years, the city has had some extrem changes. Old town has been taken care off, a theme park has been constructed and the night life areas areas have been revived.

But, yes, Quito cannot be compared with tpoher cities in that matter. Hopefully, this will change.

:ph34r:

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I've been to Quito, Cuenca and Guayaquil in Ecuador. I hated Guayquil. I really liked Cuenca and Quito was nice as well.

I've been to Buenos Aires in Argentina and really liked it. Its kind of New York like.

I've been to Santiago in Chile and don't really have feelings one way or another on that city. Over all I guess its a decent city.

I've been to Panama City in Panama. I'm quite fond of this city and enjoyed my stay there.

I've been to Mexico City, Monterey, Cancun and Merida in Mexico. Merida was pretty nice. Monterey was very hot and uninteresting. Mexico City is huge and very dirty, however I've been there 4 times and if you go to the right places in the city its quite nice and enjoyable. Cancun was very nice, but very touristy as well.

I used to live in Guadalajara, Mexico, once in 1998 y a second time in 2000. I loved it! The only bad thing I can say is that I was constantly getting ripped off. Honesty is NOT a value in Guadalajara. Even with several really bad experiences I still love it. Now that's family!

I plan on living in Rio. I have such respect for that city. I was so taken by a beach city that is classy and not filled with cheesy t-shirt shops. It's the opposite of Florida. Even the flavelas are great. I live in the ghetto in the States so they weren't that bad to me. I've been to the slums of Mexico City and nothing can top them for bad. I hope to have a condo en Flamingo or some other lesser beach in Rio sometime in 2008.

Also a notable mention needs to go to Guanajuato, Mexico. The most romantic city I have ever been to. To bad I was single when I was there in 1998.

Cancun was better than I thought that it was going to be.

I didn't like the dry Northwestern coast of Costa Rica. Do dry and not very tropical. PREfer the more tropical side to Costa Rica.

Hot on my list of LatinAmerican cities to go to: Panama, MonteVideo, Buenas Aries y Havana.

• 1 month later...

I've been to Quito, Cuenca and Guayaquil in Ecuador. I hated Guayquil. I really liked Cuenca and Quito was nice as well.

I've been to Buenos Aires in Argentina and really liked it. Its kind of New York like.

I've been to Mexico City, Monterey, Cancun and Merida in Mexico. Merida was pretty nice. Monterey was very hot and uninteresting. Mexico City is huge and very dirty, however I've been there 4 times and if you go to the right places in the city its quite nice and enjoyable. Cancun was very nice, but very touristy as well.

Yeah, usually turists prefer Quito's historical value to Guayaquil's pseudo industrial nature.

I used to live in Guadalajara, Mexico, once in 1998 y a second time in 2000. I loved it! The only bad thing I can say is that I was constantly getting ripped off. Honesty is NOT a value in Guadalajara. Even with several really bad experiences I still love it. Now that's family!

I plan on living in Rio. I have such respect for that city. I was so taken by a beach city that is classy and not filled with cheesy t-shirt shops. It's the opposite of Florida. Even the flavelas are great. I live in the ghetto in the States so they weren't that bad to me. I've been to the slums of Mexico City and nothing can top them for bad. I hope to have a condo en Flamingo or some other lesser beach in Rio sometime in 2008.

Also a notable mention needs to go to Guanajuato, Mexico. The most romantic city I have ever been to. To bad I was single when I was there in 1998.

Lol, unfortunatelly, Honesty is not a value in most of Latin America. Rio seems great, thou I have not been there. A lot of music, sun and hot girls---and in contrast, a lot of poverty, crime and ugly stuff. :blink:

• 3 weeks later...

Argentina- Bariloche and Buenos Aires

Brazil- Rio de Janeiro, Bahia, Ouro Preto

Colombia- Barranquilla, Bogota, Cartagena, Santa Marta, Mompox

Chile- Santiago, Puerto Montt

Uruguay- Colonia del Sacramento

I had planned a trip to Quito and Cuenca, but it had to be canceled. This will probably be next for me in South America.

I enjoyed all of these places in different ways. Santiago wasn't outwardly too impressive, but we had a splendid time there. Rio was fantastic, though there were many parts of it which looked grim. Buenos Aires was terrific as well, though a bit overwhelming to get around. I have traveled a lot in Mexico and the same could be said for Mexico City, though on a scale twenty times greater. One doesn't just go somewhere in MExico City. It takes a tactical command to get there. Still, it's a vibrant and very exciting place. I have only visited Central America from the decks and shore excursions of a cruise ship. As diverting as the excusrsions into Costa Rica and Panama may have been, I can't really say that I have seen either country in any meaningful way.

Argentina- Bariloche and Buenos Aires

Brazil- Rio de Janeiro, Bahia, Ouro Preto

Colombia- Barranquilla, Bogota, Cartagena, Santa Marta, Mompox

Chile- Santiago, Puerto Montt

Uruguay- Colonia del Sacramento

I had planned a trip to Quito and Cuenca, but it had to be canceled. This will probably be next for me in South America.

I enjoyed all of these places in different ways. Santiago wasn't outwardly too impressive, but we had a splendid time there. Rio was fantastic, though there were many parts of it which looked grim. Buenos Aires was terrific as well, though a bit overwhelming to get around. I have traveled a lot in Mexico and the same could be said for Mexico City, though on a scale twenty times greater. One doesn't just go somewhere in MExico City. It takes a tactical command to get there. Still, it's a vibrant and very exciting place. I have only visited Central America from the decks and shore excursions of a cruise ship. As diverting as the excusrsions into Costa Rica and Panama may have been, I can't really say that I have seen either country in any meaningful way.

Hopefully youll be able to know Quito and Cuenca. feel free to ask for anything you might need.

But, wow, you travel a lot. Just for curiosity or bc ofyour job?

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Archived