Harbors Edge Progress

vdogg

True, most of the buildings in the Fort Norfolk area need to be demolished. The only thing in the area that has any historical significance is Fort Norfolk itself, and that is staying.

As soon as things are cleared, more devolopments like Harbor's Edge can be built! :yahoo:

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And speaking of Urban Design Associates, in July they were awarded again by the city of Norfolk to offer urban design consulting services for the 2010 plan.

This was the scope of work the city was requesting:

The City of Norfolk and the Norfolk Redevelopment and Housing Authority need urban design consultant services to assist in developing conceptual designs of appropriate character and quality, identifying and refining overall plan frameworks, and/or to critique such proposals that may be presented to the City and/or the Authority in partnership endeavors. The City and the Authority are seeking the services of one or more urban design firms to assist as requested by the City and the Authority in the implementation of the Plan for Downtown Norfolk 2010, and, in addition, to provide urban design advice, analysis, and design and planning services on selected development opportunities in other areas of Norfolk.

• 2 weeks later...

True, most of the buildings in the Fort Norfolk area need to be demolished. The only thing in the area that has any historical significance is Fort Norfolk itself, and that is staying.

As soon as things are cleared, more devolopments like Harbor's Edge can be built! :yahoo:

I think that it would be amazing if they were able to save the waterfront warehouses and turn them into retail/restaurants down there. Then convert the waterfront itself into some sort of promendade. There is also a huge 4-5 story warehouse that is supposedly going to be converted to lofts.

As the terminus of the LR, I really hope that something like Port Warwick can go in there, at least the area by the huge square. 4-5 story apartment/condo buildings with retail in the bottom. Some modern designs (not all colonial like everything else lol) would be interesting as well.

I think that it would be amazing if they were able to save the waterfront warehouses and turn them into retail/restaurants down there. Then convert the waterfront itself into some sort of promendade. There is also a huge 4-5 story warehouse that is supposedly going to be converted to lofts.

As the terminus of the LR, I really hope that something like Port Warwick can go in there, at least the area by the huge square. 4-5 story apartment/condo buildings with retail in the bottom. Some modern designs (not all colonial like everything else lol) would be interesting as well.

Something along the lines of The Melville in Port Warwick, perhaps? :thumbsup: Somewhat more modern, yet with the same feel.

• 2 weeks later...

I actually quite like that building and would be sad to see it demolished.

The developer wanted to rennovate the building and turn it into lofts however the city put a stop work order on it because they want to redevelop the entire area with new construction. THey said that the building was not structurally sound enought to rennovate. ALso the building is actually located in the right-of -way so that poses another problem. If the building is torn down the lot that is left is too small to develop. The regulations in that district say that only lots of 2 acres or more are considered developable lots. THerefore if that building is torn down the developer could not do anything with the land. However the citry won't allow him to rennovate at this time so who knows what will happen.

The developer wanted to rennovate the building and turn it into lofts however the city put a stop work order on it because they want to redevelop the entire area with new construction. THey said that the building was not structurally sound enought to rennovate. ALso the building is actually located in the right-of -way so that poses another problem. If the building is torn down the lot that is left is too small to develop. The regulations in that district say that only lots of 2 acres or more are considered developable lots. THerefore if that building is torn down the developer could not do anything with the land. However the citry won't allow him to rennovate at this time so who knows what will happen.

I hope they build some tall structures there besides Harbor's edge. Hopefully around the Brambleton edge they will have some 20 story towers there!

I hope they build some tall structures there besides Harbor's edge. Hopefully around the Brambleton edge they will have some 20 story towers there!

The renderings that I saw for Fort Norfolk/Atlantic City shows mostly townhouses, and mid-rise mix use type buildings. It appears that Harbor's Edge will be the only true highrise in this part of Norfolk. I will try to find the rendering again and post it on this website.

The renderings that I saw for Fort Norfolk/Atlantic City shows mostly townhouses, and mid-rise mix use type buildings. It appears that Harbor's Edge will be the only true highrise in this part of Norfolk. I will try to find the rendering again and post it on this website.

I seen that to but it is not a final plan either and there were a couple buildings the size of Harbor's edge towards Brambleton.

I seen that to but it is not a final plan either and there were a couple buildings the size of Harbor's edge towards Brambleton.

The city is looking at a total of 2,000 units in fort Norfolk when it is complete. I'm pretty sure there will be some 20 story + highrises in there just because of the ridiculouse cost of land these days.

I would guess that there will be another Harbor's Edge tower (17 storeys) and perhaps one other high rise residential building and maybe a medical/research office building. The rest of the development will pull from the inexorable march South of the Sentara and EVMS medical empire. Some nice mixed use and retail would round out the development, along with a waterfront walkway and some open areas. Could be a great area of the city.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I find the psychology of that building really interesting, but maybe a bit too obvious. It reminds me of Richmond in the early 20th century. So it makes me think of my grandparents and great grandparents. I like it, but in a peculiar way. I know that it's post modern, but it's way more traditional than most post-modern structures. I'll bet it gets a companion soon--lots of boomers are getting old.

I wonder what's going to be on the 17th floor?

Correction Padman WE baby boomers are getting better!

I think the architecture of Harbor Edge is meant to reflect Port Norfolk's past as an important colonial port. The exterior is sort of Colonial Williamsburgish in its look. That brick colonial style can be seen all over Tidewater from CBN University to the Va. Beach Municipal Building. But on the other hand with its simple lines and lack of ornamentation it sort of has a post modern feel to it. I wonder what the developor of Harbor's Edge is trying to convey with the brick exterior?

Archived