Harbors Edge Progress

vdogg

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So that would mean it's topped out unless they decided to add more floors! We should hear about it being topped out soon then. Don't they put a tree on top or something when that happens?

Most companies will put fly the american flag when a building gets topped out.

So that would mean it's topped out unless they decided to add more floors! We should hear about it being topped out soon then. Don't they put a tree on top or something when that happens?

Well they are on the 17th floor but "topped out" isn't really there until they put the roof over the top floor. Expect the "topped out" phase to begin next week.

They have completed the 17th floor and were working on the roof when i went to take some pics Sat.

I went on a boat trip along the Elizabeth River through the NIT and Naval Base and took unbelievable pictures of Harbors Edge, Downtown and the skyline in angles that no one up here could get unless they went on the water. The problem is when I took my SD card out of my camera to load onto a camera connected to my pc, i didn't realize my camera went to auto sleep mode so when slipped out the memory card, all my photos got wiped out. :angry:

I went on a boat trip along the Elizabeth River through the NIT and Naval Base and took unbelievable pictures of Harbors Edge, Downtown and the skyline in angles that no one up here could get unless they went on the water. The problem is when I took my SD card out of my camera to load onto a camera connected to my pc, i didn't realize my camera went to auto sleep mode so when slipped out the memory card, all my photos got wiped out. :angry:

That sucks dude and it would have been great to seen those! :shok:

This building is massive, but complements the medical center and EVMS area really well. Both use mid-rise massing and lots of bricks. The new Heart Center is by far my favorite building in that part of town, though I hope I don't have to go there. It's very likely that Harbor's Edge will get a twin brother. All those warehouses and that waterfront just cry for retail shops, mixed use projects, public eateries and waterside pathways. I hope the water frontage doesn't get privatized, which seems to be a real bane of this area. Yes, it's a good light rail stop too.

That sucks dude and it would have been great to seen those! :shok:

Yeah I took those pics this past Saturday morning and man, I wanted to kill someone when I lost those pics. It's hard enough to get on the water like that for free and get those rare views to get pictures.

This building is massive, but complements the medical center and EVMS area really well. Both use mid-rise massing and lots of bricks. The new Heart Center is by far my favorite building in that part of town, though I hope I don't have to go there. It's very likely that Harbor's Edge will get a twin brother. All those warehouses and that waterfront just cry for retail shops, mixed use projects, public eateries and waterside pathways. I hope the water frontage doesn't get privatized, which seems to be a real bane of this area. Yes, it's a good light rail stop too.

It would be nice for it to get its twin brother and has anyone heard anymore news of the hotel thats suppose to be going there? I wonder how tall its going to be

It's very likely that Harbor's Edge will get a twin brother. All those warehouses and that waterfront just cry for retail shops, mixed use projects, public eateries and waterside pathways.

I cannot wait for them to tear down that horrible looking burnt-out warehouse near the PETA builing. The revitalization of that area will not be complete until that eyesore is gone (and hopefully replaced with a mid-highrise structure of some architectural significance).

I cannot wait for them to tear down that horrible looking burnt-out warehouse near the PETA builing. The revitalization of that area will not be complete until that eyesore is gone (and hopefully replaced with a mid-highrise structure of some architectural significance).

They wanted to convert it to condos. Didn't hear much after that article in the pilot about it.

Condos? :huh::( Well that thing is gonna need one hell of a face lift. Did they mention any timescale on this conversion?

The article was really vague and didn't hear much about it after words. The plan might have been abandoned. Not sure but I bet you have the connections to figure it out vdogg! :thumbsup:

I actually quite like that building and would be sad to see it demolished.

I actually quite like that building and would be sad to see it demolished.

Are we thinking of the same one? It's really rundown. Perhaps I'll take a picture of it before I leave town this weekend so I can make sure everyone knows which one I'm referring to.

In the article I think they said they were going to see if it was feasible to convert them into condos. The building is really run down and it would take a ton of money & labor to make it livable. The developer probably found that out and is looking at redeveloping that piece of land. Most of those warehouses along the waterfront take up a lot of space and it would be best to redevelop and follow Urban Design's plan. After all, their plans are tried and true and have hlp make downtown Norfolk what it is today.

Archived