NCB

Latest tracks, photos, and advisories.

at2005125day9kx.gif

at200512strike6po.gif

at200512strike6po.gif

strm12track720x4868ic.jpg

maphuralrt12ltst5nhatoenus600x.jpg

gomexsat600x4050yl.jpg

The 10:00 p.m. advisory has the track further east, not much further, but at least they dont have it moving west of New Orleans, not now at least...

Most tracks have it going just east of or over New Orleans, across the eastern-most part of Lake Ponchartrain, over Slidell, and through Mississippi.

The National Hurricane Center is saying Slidell could have a 26 foot storm surge from Lake Ponchartrain :cry:

This doesnt look good..but tommorow is when things will really happen, we'll really need to watch it then.

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

2am advisory has Katrina jumping up 30mph in maximum sustained wind speed to 145mph with 175mph gusts, making it a strong category 4 storm. Forecasters and models are predicting it to reach category 5 status with the possibility of slight weakening just before making landfall near New Orleans.

at200512_5day.gif

This is pretty much the doomsday scenario that they have theorized for so many years for New Orleans. It has been almost uncanny how many times a hurricane has come right up to the coast and then made a last minute jog to the right. Do not count on it to do the same this time. A CAT 5 is nothing to mess with and I hope those of you who are in this area take this storm seriously. My thoughts and prayers will be with all of our Louisianna/Mississippi forumers.

I hope everyone realizes that this will be the worst disaster in our history.  This is going to dwarf Hurricane Andrew.  From a Floridian, if you live in the path, get the hell out. 

Good luck.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Just watching a weather channel briefing and sustained winds are now up to 175mph! :o

Just watching a weather channel briefing and sustained winds are now up to 175mph!  :o

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm captivated. After last year and remembering Andrew, these storms are no joking matter anymore. Especially one this HUGE. I hope everyone listens to every warning. This is going to be a mess.

I saw on TV, most people are trying to go west. The police was telling people just go north to Mississippi. Looks like Mississippi is going to get it too. Go west young man , go west as fast as you can.

Lets pray the people in New Oleans find a place to stay, and they have something to go home to after the storm is gone.

I think this is obviously a very strong storm and there will likely be a good deal of flooding in NO, but I dont think the entire city will be washed away as some have speculated. You must remember it has been there a long time and weather people have a tendency to exaggerate. NO is not on the coast like Galveston or Miami. They do have Lake Ponchartrain and the Miss River though, but it would take a huge storm surge to get 20 feet of flooding - I find this doubtful. Anyway, I hope I am right. I bet it makes a last minute jog to the east and hits coastal Mississippi or eastern LA too. We will see. Hang in there New Orleans!

It's simple math, really... the city of New Orleans is anywhere from 15 feet above to 20 feet below sea level. The levees are only 20 & 17 feet high on either side, respectively... they are expecting storm surge of 25-35 feet.

Last time I checked, the low estimate of 25 feet is higher than the tallest levee at 20 feet. This means that yes, the ENTIRE CITY will be UNDER WATER... and most experts predict that the ENTIRE CITY could be as much as 15-30 feet UNDER WATER for up to a MONTH!!!

This is a potential disaster of biblical proportions. If you can get out of New Orleans, get out. Do not read my post. GET OUT. I'm not a praying person... but I am praying for each and every one of you. May God be with you.

This is very bad news for Lousiana for those of you who live there get out of there your state builds the same crappy wood frame houses as texas they cant survive such a big hurricane good luck to ya'll. I should be driving through Louisiana next week cause im moving back to florida :) if the interstate is still above water just a price to pay living in such a nice place i heard waves will be 20-25 feet good luck get out of there even though this stuff intrests me cause i wanna be a meteorologist but this is very dangerous.

Our thoughts and prayers go out to the people of the Gulf Coast, especially in and around New Orleans.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks alot nashvol, your words are greatly appreciated.

I, along with many people around here, am going to hunker down, and go through the storm.

Now I do not live in New Orleans, I live in the city of Covington, north of Lake Ponchartrain, and I am above sea level.

Flooding is not a problem for me, wind is the main concern.

If the huricane shifts west and the eye goes over New Orleans, the results could be catastrophic. I am hoping it goes further east, over Slidell and into Mississippi.

I dont wish anything like this on anyone, but New Orleans...cant handle a direct hit from a cat 5.

Im probably not going to be posting anytime soon...the power will probabably go out sometime tonite or tommorow morning.

Power could be off for weeks in New Orleans, it depends on how bad the flooding is.

I hope it wont take that long up here, but who knows..this hurricane could be the strongest to ever hit the U.S. and the costliest...meteorologists here in New Orleans are saying this could put Andrew to shame in terms of damage...I truly hope that they are wrong...

Wish me, along with everyone along the gulf coast the best of luck..Ill be seeing you guys in the coming weeks.

Archived