Hurricane Katrina - the aftermath

NCB

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh my.

I read in either Time or National Geographic magazine a few years ago that all it would take is a good category 4 or 5 hurricane to permanently make New Orleans the next Venice. It detailed the city's history of creating levees and fighting off the rising Mississippi. The magazine predicted that NO could be underwater (in worst case circumstances of course) within 50 years. Well, they weren't off, if this does play out as the worst case scenario.

The magazine said if there were a cat 5 hurricane to hit NO directly, Lake Ponchatrain to the north and the Mississippi River to the south would envelop the city.

I was born in New Orleans. I have family living in New Orleans. My sister lived in New Orleans for a number of years. Best of luck.

Like the other guy said, people tend to exaggerate disasters.

Here's a question:

Do you think that Katrina will be retired as a hurricane name?

It is clearly the worst one we have seen since Hugo at this point.

Just for the record, here a Wikipedia page with notable tropical cyclone names: Click here

My heart goes out to all of you LA forumers. Stay safe!

The Weather Channel was reporting that the eye is 35 miles across. They also said that New Orleans could experience a perfectly clear atmosphere tomorrow for about 3 hours inside the eye. Unbelieveable! I really hope the Superdome holds up, but I hope even more that people heed the warnings and leave completely, if it's not too late. Fox News Channel also reported that the immediate after effects could last for several weeks and include any number of several deadly diseases. I am considering going down afterward to help out if things take a turn for the worst.

HEAD FOR THE HILLS!!!

Just my two cents.

My mom's best friend lives in NO, her husband owns a restaurant called Jacques-imo's. It is really good, great gator cheesecake. But anywho, I really hope they boarded up pretty good. They live in the Garden District, is that above or below sea level?

My prayers go out to all of you Nawlins forumers, your city shall rise again!

HEAD FOR THE HILLS!!!

Just my two cents.

My mom's best friend lives in NO, her husband owns a restaurant called Jacques-imo's.  It is really good, great gator cheesecake.  But anywho, I really hope they boarded up pretty good.  They live in the Garden District, is that above or below sea level?

My prayers go out to all of you Nawlins forumers, your city shall rise again!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm guessing that someone who is more knowledgeable of the region could answer you better, but, to my knowledge, all of NO is below sea level. It pretty much sits in a "bowl" (as it were) between Lake Ponchartrain and the Mississippi River.

Here's a question:

Do you think that Katrina will be retired as a hurricane name?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes. They always retire names after bad storms (ie Hugo)

CNN reported that if the worst happens, and the city floods, the water could be standing for up to 6 months becuase the pumps that keep the city dry would also be flooded, not to mention that the city would be uninhabitable becuase water, sewers, and electricity would not be working.

I sure hope the Superdome holds up, but I fear that it can't withstad CAT 5 winds, and that the roof structure will collapse. They generally don't build things to withstand a CAT 5, becuaes it "never happens." They expect the Superdome to flood, so everyone has to stay in the bleachers.

This is from the National Weather Service. They are NOT known for overexaggerating:

(sorry its in all caps, thats how they do everything)

URGENT - WEATHER MESSAGE

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NEW ORLEANS LA

1011 AM CDT SUN AUG 28 2005

...DEVASTATING DAMAGE EXPECTED...

.HURRICANE KATRINA...A MOST POWERFUL HURRICANE WITH UNPRECEDENTED

STRENGTH...RIVALING THE INTENSITY OF HURRICANE CAMILLE OF 1969.

MOST OF THE AREA WILL BE UNINHABITABLE FOR WEEKS...PERHAPS LONGER. AT

LEAST ONE HALF OF WELL CONSTRUCTED HOMES WILL HAVE ROOF AND WALL

FAILURE. ALL GABLED ROOFS WILL FAIL...LEAVING THOSE HOMES SEVERELY

DAMAGED OR DESTROYED.

THE MAJORITY OF INDUSTRIAL BUILDINGS WILL BECOME NON FUNCTIONAL.

PARTIAL TO COMPLETE WALL AND ROOF FAILURE IS EXPECTED. ALL WOOD

FRAMED LOW RISING APARTMENT BUILDINGS WILL BE DESTROYED. CONCRETE

BLOCK LOW RISE APARTMENTS WILL SUSTAIN MAJOR DAMAGE...INCLUDING SOME

WALL AND ROOF FAILURE.

HIGH RISE OFFICE AND APARTMENT BUILDINGS WILL SWAY DANGEROUSLY...A

FEW TO THE POINT OF TOTAL COLLAPSE. ALL WINDOWS WILL BLOW OUT.

AIRBORNE DEBRIS WILL BE WIDESPREAD...AND MAY INCLUDE HEAVY ITEMS SUCH

AS HOUSEHOLD APPLIANCES AND EVEN LIGHT VEHICLES. SPORT UTILITY

VEHICLES AND LIGHT TRUCKS WILL BE MOVED. THE BLOWN DEBRIS WILL CREATE

ADDITIONAL DESTRUCTION. PERSONS...PETS...AND LIVESTOCK EXPOSED TO THE

WINDS WILL FACE CERTAIN DEATH IF STRUCK.

POWER OUTAGES WILL LAST FOR WEEKS...AS MOST POWER POLES WILL BE

DOWN AND TRANSFORMERS DESTROYED. WATER SHORTAGES WILL MAKE HUMAN

SUFFERING INCREDIBLE BY MODERN STANDARDS.

THE VAST MAJORITY OF NATIVE TREES WILL BE SNAPPED OR UPROOTED. ONLY

THE HEARTIEST WILL REMAIN STANDING...BUT BE TOTALLY DEFOLIATED. FEW

CROPS WILL REMAIN. LIVESTOCK LEFT EXPOSED TO THE WINDS WILL BE

KILLED.

GULFIR.jpg

100 billion? Surely not that...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Andrew cost $32 billion. Due to the real estate this is covering an expert on CNN estimated it would be about twice that so we're looking at $64 billion at least if this plays out.

well, how much do you think a whole city is worth? These assumptions are probably based on a 60-80% destruction rate. That is not too far out at all. We will have to wait and see. Of course we got to hope it is on the low end.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh yes, I forgot about the fact that most of NO is at risk. I was thinking of past major hurricane's damage costs.

They said "it" would come..........I guess this is "it". :ph34r::ph34r:

100 billion? Surely not that...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'd say $100 billion is a reasonable estimate. Hurricane Andrew did about $35 billion in damage back in 1992, which, adjusting for 13 years of inflation, comes out to be over $50 billion dollars in 2005-- and Andrew wasn't even a category 5 upon making landfall in South Florida. Not only is this storm currently much stronger and MUCH larger than Andrew, it has the potential to strike a major city head on, and one that happens to be in the most vulnerable location possible on the U.S. coastline. It then has the potential to wreak havoc far inland and cause massive amounts of flooding all the way up to the northeast. When was the last time Tennessee experienced a tropical storm?

Not to mention that this storm has already caused a great deal of damage in South Florida, and has directly forced the price of oil to surge by $4 to over $70 before the storm has even struck.

plus there are the losses that will be caused by the shutdown of all oil platforms and refineries in the gulf. Economically this will be very interesting, all of the US will be affected.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have heard we can expect gas prices to rise 50

Yep, boys, gas up while you still can, tommorrow expect prices to be $3/gallon nationwide at the least.

One better hopes that people have good insurance. I hope they're smart enough down there to get flood insurance or they're screwed, but none the less the wind will be absolutely devastating.

EVERYONE: Go to www.nola.com to get the latest information, they have great webcams even though some are down, but still you get live video feeds, pics update every minute.

Archived