Hurricane Katrina - the aftermath

NCB

God bless everyone in the path of this thing.  I hope it weakens considerably before landfall.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There is a chance that it could, ut not by much. This is becaus ethe water near the coast is shallower and cooler than that in the middle of the gulf.

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Watching the news reports and NO and Biloxi are getting tore up right now. Luckily this came down to CAT 4 before it hit (all though a very strong one at 150 mph). It looks like NO was spared a direct hit but they're still getting winds of 100-120. They're cautiously optimistic that the levys may hold Lake Ponchatrain back but it's really up in the air right now. There has been some damage to the Superdome and some facade damage to a few skyscrapers downtown.

Watching TWC, they have confirmed that the levys in Orleans parish (New Orleans) and another parish have been over topped :( . No idea by how much and how severe the flooding is yet. They have also stated that some buildings have collapsed. They haven't stated whether these are large buildings, small buildings, houses or whatever. It doesn't sound like a good situation whichever the case.

I really wish the best for all those people who couldn't get out of the city and had to wait it out in the Superdome. A report, maybe it was on CNN, had a shot of the lines waiting to get inside late yesterday afternoon. There's definitely an element of economic class involved here, unfortunately. The camera panned past probably a hundred people in line and at most five were white. Let's pray for everyone's safety, but especially those caught most vulnerable -- the handicapped, elderly, and poor people without the means to escape.

Of course it will be bad, but all the news reports I'm hearing say that the various doomsday scenarios we've been hearing about are grossly exaggerated.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Definately not the doomsday scenario but it also didn't hit as a CAT 5 and it didn't hit NO directly. The levy in sector 9 (the french quarter) has been breach so there is flooding there and they're saying some homes are flooded up to their roofs. That being said they say the pumps are still working which is good news because as long as they keep working, whenever this storm subsides, they should be able to clear the water out way quicker than the months time estimates they were previously giving.

Of course it will be bad, but all the news reports I'm hearing say that the various doomsday scenarios we've been hearing about are grossly exaggerated.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, they are most definitely exaggerated. I'm not trying to make light of this hurricane and what could yet happen, but understand that what you see being reported on the WeatherChannel, Fox News, CNN, MSNBC, etc is news...their livelihood...and they want you to watch it.

As a Floridian that went through Charley in Orlando, Frances in Jacksonville and saw the aftermath of Ivan in Pensacola just days after...I feel for New Orleans and its residents, but also understand that I personally watched a newscaster from the WeatherChannel on Jax Beach...while he was on camera...totally, completely over-reacting and over-dramatizing the weather conditions that we were encountering that day on the beach from Frances. As soon as the camera shut off...he miraculously was able to stand upright...with no difficulty.

You're in our prayers New Orleans and we're hoping for the best.

Now being reported on Fox that there is no flooding in the french quarter, but there is flooding in other parts. This appears to be a discrepancy since the governor reported a levy had been breached in that sector. It's probably something we'll just have to wait to see once everything clears out. At either rate, it looks like the worst has passed for them and the winds are now subsiding. All told, NO made it out pretty well.

The most creepy stories are of stranded people calling 911 from their rooftops close to the worst time of the storm. One was a group of ten and the other a mother and three kids. I hope someone got this wrong, but I have a sick feeling there will be deaths reported soon. :cry:

The most creepy stories are of stranded people calling 911 from their rooftops close to the worst time of the storm.  One was a group of ten and the other a mother and  three kids.  I hope someone got this wrong, but I have a sick feeling there will be deaths reported soon. :cry:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Now is not the time for critisism but as a mother I can not begin to imagine what was going through this woman's mind that led her to stay in New Orleans or in a home that may or may not withstand those predicted winds. I dearly hope from the bottom of my heart that this story was not all true. If it is true then I pray to G-d that He brings them through this without harm.

I just can't imagine.

The most creepy stories are of stranded people calling 911 from their rooftops close to the worst time of the storm.  One was a group of ten and the other a mother and  three kids.  I hope someone got this wrong, but I have a sick feeling there will be deaths reported soon. :cry:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The part about a mother and three kids appears to be true unfortunately:

"Across the street, a woman leaned from the second-story window of a brick home and shouted for assistance.

'There are three kids in here,' the woman said. 'Can you help us?' "

Entire article is here:

http://www.breitbart.com/news/2005/08/29/D8C9JQFG0.html

The part about a mother and three kids appears to be true unfortunately:

"Across the street, a woman leaned from the second-story window of a brick home and shouted for assistance.

'There are three kids in here,' the woman said. 'Can you help us?' "

Entire article is here:

http://www.breitbart.com/news/2005/08/29/D8C9JQFG0.html

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I sure hope they all come out of this o.k.

Hey, yall forgot about me. Just wanted to pop in and say thanks to all our UrbanPlanet friends for their wellwishes and support. Since NCB stayed in Covington, I can guarantee that he's without power. Not sure about Alon504. I'm fortunate enough to have internet access where I evacuated.

But, I figured that yall may want an update on my city after Katrina. I have contacted a family member who is an NOPD officer to get his feeling. They have had a briefing, and the news is bad.

First, the entire eastern part of New Orleans, commonly referred to as "New Orleans East" has been completely submerged under 8-15 ft. of water due to a break in the levee along the Industrial Canal approximately one block wide. It blew out and water rushed in at an extremely fast rate, trapping many people. Water levels reached ceiling level in most homes. Hundreds are trapped on rooftops and attics. Bodies have been reported floating in that area of the city. Casualty numbers are not known. However, it is feared that many more people may have drowned inside their homes and will not be accounted for until water levels recede.

Second, levees along Lake Ponchartrain were indeed topped. Lakeview, which is a suburb just to the north of downtown, and surrounding neighborhoods, is flooded with 4-6 feet of water.

Third, downtown is flooded with anywhere from 1-4 feet of water. Every downtown skyscraper has many windows blown out. Structurally, however, they seem to have fared well. Outer layers of the Superdome roof have peeled off, causing extensive leakage.

In St.Bernard Parish, in the suburb known as Chalmette and surrounding areas, the news is grim. According to the parish president, most, if not all of the 40,000 homes are submerged. Casualty figures unknown. He hoped everyone got out. No specifics here.

Conditions in outlying areas to the south of the city are not known. Flyovers will be conducted soon.

And lastly, the good news. Our beuatiful French Quarter seems to have fared well. It's slightly higher elevation saved it from flooding. And, it's density seems to have protected it from severe damage.

Again, I thank all of you for your support. I know that if NCB and Alon504 were able, they'd say the same. Please come visit New Orleans. We're always happy to have you, and we need you now more than ever. New Orleans will be back... better than ever. Thanks again.

Probably not.

Since this is the aftermath thread I wonder how rampant disease and toxic mess will be and if the area will hapitable any time soon.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

New Orleans will be back up and running in 3 months---I hope!

Global Warming is havign a significant impact on hurricanes... not on how long they last, but how powerful they remain while driving inland... To ignore global warming is to be ignorant to weather patterns. Hurricanes will become more severe without proper actions of our government.

New Orleans is in a big trouble. The levees have broken, saw one house on fire.

On TV. 80% of New Orleans is under water.

About 80 people killed in Mississippi.

People we have a big disaster here. Hope we can here from some of the UP folks

down there, when they get a chance.

Do you think New Orleans will rebuild to it former self? How much new development will go into there now?

I think it will be a high risk place to build.

Where is the New Orleans Saints going to play?

So many questions here

Gas could be up to $4.00 a gallion in a week.

New Orleans is in a big trouble.  The levees have broken, saw one house on fire.

On TV.    80% of New Orleans is under water.

About 80 people killed in Mississippi.

People we have a big disaster here.  Hope we can here from some of the UP folks

down there, when they get a chance.

Do you think New Orleans will rebuild to it former self?  How much new development will go into there now?

I think it will be a high risk place to build.

Where is the New Orleans Saints going to play?

So many questions here

Gas could be up to $4.00 a gallion in a week.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, it is a terrible tragedy.

Yes, New Orleans will rebuild, to become better than before.

No, gas will not go to $4.00 a gallon this week. It's still $2.50 a gallon, where I live, as I type this.

Archived