Hurricane Katrina - the aftermath

NCB

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hope everyone down there took heed and got tha hell out. I have been through a few hurricanes in NC but didn't experience the real stuff until I moved to Japan. Huge typhoons(hurricanes) are common there. Katrina looks like Typhoon Sinlaku about 2 years ago.. That supertyphoon had winds of up to 155mph but slowed to 135 at landfall. One thing I can say is even though it a sight to see I was a little shaken because this typhoon lingered over the Island for 2 days. I wasn't too sacared because the Japanese build houses on Okinawa to earthquake and typhoon code. Most houses are made of concrete and the walls are at least 6 inches thick of reinforced concrete. God be with those people down there in NO because I know those houses are going to get creamed.

I hope everyone down there took heed and got tha hell out. I have been through a few hurricanes in NC but didn't experience the real stuff until I moved to Japan. Huge typhoons(hurricanes) are common there. Katrina looks like Typhoon Sinlaku about 2 years ago.. That

Fox News Channel's Shephard Smith reported from the French corridor and said that only one in six buildings had been boarded up, but I guess it wouldn't make much of a difference anyway.

Great idea, Spartan. I'd better head out and fill mine up now, since prices are lower than they've been in recent weeks and are likely to skrocket in the next day or two. :cry:

I have no idea how long the initial surge from Katrina will last, but I spoke with a local congressman who said that gas prices are going to steadily rise to over $4 a gallon. That is why South Carolina will become a major factor in the development of hydrogen-based vehicles. :)

My prayers go out to all the people who are trapped in the city/region and won't be able to escape the storm, and also to those that may loose their homes and belongings.

This could very well be one of the biggest natural disasters of our time.

Fox News Channel reported earlier that it was only projected to withstand a category 3 hurricane.  I hope their source wasn't accurate.  That would indicate a potential massive disaster, as Ruso stated. :cry:  We'll just have to wait and see...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Galveston, 1900 is what it reminds me of.

If true, this would indicate a massive failure in planning, but then again, how often do storms like these come up?

Archived