Hurricane Katrina - the aftermath

NCB

Global Warming is havign a significant impact on hurricanes... not on how long they last, but how powerful they remain while driving inland... To ignore global warming is to be ignorant to weather patterns. Hurricanes will become more severe without proper actions of our government.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

GLOBAL WARMING IS A NATURAL CYCLE, GET OVER YOUR SELF!!!!!!!!!!! All people need to stop with their unresearched ignorance,

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

GLOBAL WARMING IS A NATURAL CYCLE, GET OVER YOUR SELF!!!!!!!!!!! All people need to stop with their unresearched ignorance,

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Exactly.

Also, at the current rate that this global "warming" has been happening (about 1 degree every century), it wouldn't be enough of a change to cause anything very noticeable.

BTW: I've heard the French Quarter is underwater. Any truth to that.

Exactly.

Also, at the current rate that this global "warming" has been happening (about 1 degree every century), it wouldn't be enough of a change to cause anything very noticeable.

BTW: I've heard the French Quarter is underwater. Any truth to that.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

To be fair, since Global warming cycles occur over centurys it really hasn't been proven one way or another how much of an affect humans have had on the process. It may very well be the case that humans accelerate or add to the natural cycle, the jury is still very much out on how much of Global warming is just nature or nature plus humans. Also, it only takes a couple of degree shift in average world temperature to greatly alter weather patterns. As to the french quarter, yes there are now reports that it is filling with water. Yesterday, before I went to bed, I made the statement that New Orleans seemed to fair pretty well in this storm, I fear I spoke too soon. Of all the dire predictions of the scientist before this storm hit it seems now that one is coming very true. I feel for the people of NO and wish you all the best and I pray for a speedy recovery.

You need to stop yelling, it makes you look really stupid.

vdogg is right; the jury is still out as to whether global warming is a real issue or not. But regardless, I think it would be wise to "play it safe" until we have a definite answer. Panicking is definitely not the answer. But writing it off because right-wing think tanks tell you it's not a problem is just as stupid, because the potential consequences are catastrophic.

And above all, we should not assume that we have a license to emit as much CO2 as we want into the atmosphere. True, the amount of CO2 emitted by human activity pales in comparison to the amount produced by natural phenomenon, but the CO2 we're emitting is produced by burning fossil fuels that have been OUT of that natural cycle for millions of years. By converting all that old biomass into CO2, some say that we may be gradually (well, gradual in the scale of human lifetimes; rapidly on a geolocial time scale) affecting that natural cycle.

I'm not saying that's necessarily the case. But nobody's proved either way yet.

Yes, it is a terrible tragedy.

Yes, New Orleans will rebuild, to become better than before.

No, gas will not go to $4.00 a gallon this week. It's still $2.50 a gallon, where I live, as I type this.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes today, but this is whats happening now.

There are 6 refineries down, and it will be awhile before they get back on line.

Lake Charles and Baton Rouge, La are the only refineries working in La. We have lose about 25% of our refinery capacity for a while. On TV , it was reported that it could be a month before these units could be back up and running. Gas supplies will get tighter and higher gas prices. Oil refineries take a while be get started backup.

Hey, yall forgot about me. Just wanted to pop in and say thanks to all our UrbanPlanet friends for their wellwishes and support. Since NCB stayed in Covington, I can guarantee that he's without power. Not sure about Alon504. I'm fortunate enough to have internet access where I evacuated.

But, I figured that yall may want an update on my city after Katrina. I have contacted a family member who is an NOPD officer to get his feeling. They have had a briefing, and the news is bad.

First, the entire eastern part of New Orleans, commonly referred to as "New Orleans East" has been completely submerged under 8-15 ft. of water due to a break in the levee along the Industrial Canal approximately one block wide. It blew out and water rushed in at an extremely fast rate, trapping many people. Water levels reached ceiling level in most homes. Hundreds are trapped on rooftops and attics. Bodies have been reported floating in that area of the city. Casualty numbers are not known. However, it is feared that many more people may have drowned inside their homes and will not be accounted for until water levels recede.

Second, levees along Lake Ponchartrain were indeed topped. Lakeview, which is a suburb just to the north of downtown, and surrounding neighborhoods, is flooded with 4-6 feet of water.

Third, downtown is flooded with anywhere from 1-4 feet of water. Every downtown skyscraper has many windows blown out. Structurally, however, they seem to have fared well. Outer layers of the Superdome roof have peeled off, causing extensive leakage.

In St.Bernard Parish, in the suburb known as Chalmette and surrounding areas, the news is grim. According to the parish president, most, if not all of the 40,000 homes are submerged. Casualty figures unknown. He hoped everyone got out. No specifics here.

Conditions in outlying areas to the south of the city are not known. Flyovers will be conducted soon.

And lastly, the good news. Our beuatiful French Quarter seems to have fared well. It's slightly higher elevation saved it from flooding. And, it's density seems to have protected it from severe damage.

Again, I thank all of you for your support. I know that if NCB and Alon504 were able, they'd say the same. Please come visit New Orleans. We're always happy to have you, and we need you now more than ever. New Orleans will be back... better than ever. Thanks again.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Out thoughts and Prayers are with you guys. I saw the pictures and could not believe how many windows had popped outof the skrapers in the CBD, but agree that structurally the buildings remain "in-tact". The sad part to hear is that so many people could be dead :( . I don't think the gravity of the situation will be realized until later this week when flood waters slowly drop. Again, our prayers are with ALL of you. If you get a chance let NCB and ALON504 know we are anxious for some posts. I hope they are well. It is always good thing to know that your UP buddies out there are all OK.

A2

Global Warming is havign a significant impact on hurricanes... not on how long they last, but how powerful they remain while driving inland
What evidence do you have of this? Did "global warming" cause Betsy which caused similar damage to NO in 1965? Did "global warming" cause the Galveston hurricane in 1900 which killed 1200 people or the 1935 Labor Day hurricane which killed 600 people? I think this kind of speculation is pointless. What they really need in LA is better levees around populated areas and to restore the flow of the Mississippi downriver somehow to allow for renourishment of the bayou areas which are in fact sinking. This allows for more storm surge damage from hurricanes. New Orleans will survive and flourish. May God have mercy on those who perished. And, let's not forget the people of Mississippi who may have suffered worse than those in LA because they got more of a direct hit.

the jury is still out as to whether global warming is a real issue or not.

I agree with this. I think we need to encourage denser cities and more mass transit either way.

All I am saying is you can't control global warming, I'm not yelling about anything I just don't like ignorance, anyways, I am very happy that this didn't turn out as it could have, we are very lucky there is any new orleans left, imagine 30 miles to the west and still at 175 mph, I had been praying for the city, imagining an extention of lake ponchatrain, does anyone know how the storm affected the depth of the lake. the People of new orleans are so lucky, that there is anything left. I remember learning in elementary school the threat this city had to the elements, and wow, I am so greatful.

Check out this site.

http://www.arctic.noaa.gov/essay_untersteiner.html

The north pole has shilfed its axes by 8 degress or more since the 1970s.

The earth axes have shifted many times. The last time was over 30,000 years ago.

You will will see bigger storms, due to the warming of our poles. This is fact from the records they have been keeping. The Gulf waters was 90 degrees, that will fuel one large storm as we have seen.

This is from Woods Hole, Mass

http://www.whoi.edu/mr/pr.do?id=6258

Woods Hole is also saying in a past article, that the Gulf Stream is slowing down. If it slow too much, all of northern Europe will be the big ice box. They will have to more.

Expect more and bigger hurricanes.

ALSO...

Hopefully I am not breaking any Board Rules...

But..

If you guys want to do something, find a local charity that is going to help recovery... Donate time, donate money, donate anything....

(super understatmenet) This is a huge disaster... We all need to do soemthing to help make N.O. just as beautiful as it was before

Josh

Reports are they are finding bodies in the canels in New Orleans.

I think that we up here need to think about sending work parties down there next year to help those people out. It will take this long to get some type of life support down there.

The TV says it is even worse in the towns outside of NO.

I have never seen such flooding and distruction in an urban setting like this before,..

Allthough there is tremendous damage in the city, it could have been worse.. but thats not even remotely an issue at this time,.. To the people in the Metro New Orleans area, your in my prayers....

They are saying that the levees won't be stopped up for days possibly, 20 feet of water in the French Quarter by tonight.  God help them.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Do you have a source for that?

I lived in Marigny/Bywater for years--which is adjacent to the Quarter, and similar in elevation.

Please post any updates you get. I have many friends there.

Do you have a source for that?

I lived in Marigny/Bywater for years--which is adjacent to the Quarter, and similar in elevation.

Please post any updates you get.  I have many friends there.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hope this helps...

"Walnut Bend and the Algiers area is reported to be doing well, with clean water and gas service.

There are several reports that the Uptown area remains unflooded, particularly around Magazine and Jefferson and Mag. and Webster. Similar reports re the Garden District.

Baronne Street downtown is dry.

Canal Blvd. around Harrison is underwater, but a user posts that the water does NOT seem to be rising at all, regardless of what the nat'l. media reports."

Archived