Hurricane Katrina - the aftermath

NCB

Do you have a source for that?

I lived in Marigny/Bywater for years--which is adjacent to the Quarter, and similar in elevation.

Please post any updates you get.  I have many friends there.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Its true the canals and levees are unblocked and wont be blocked up for days according to s FEMA press coference in Baton Rouge.

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Walnut Bend and the Algiers area is reported to be doing well, with clean water and gas service.

There are several reports that the Uptown area remains unflooded, particularly around Magazine and Jefferson and Mag. and Webster. Similar reports re the Garden District.

Baronne Street downtown is dry.

Canal Blvd. around Harrison is underwater, but a user posts that the water does NOT seem to be rising at all, regardless of what the nat'l. media reports."

This indicates, if true, that all of the major tourist and historic sites remain above water. As I said before the French Quarter and Uptown sit on a bluff of sorts adjacent to the Mississippi and their levees are intact according to reports. Unfortunately, the poorer areas of town tend to be in the lowest lying areas and these are probably the areas that are being hit the hardest. I believe the section where the levee burst is in an industrial/black section downriver from the Quarter. It also seems that the suburbs are also hard hit. NOTE: I am not from NO, but I have spent a lot of time there.

Hope this helps...

"Walnut Bend and the Algiers area is reported to be doing well, with clean water and gas service.

There are several reports that the Uptown area remains unflooded, particularly around Magazine and Jefferson and Mag. and Webster. Similar reports re the Garden District.

Baronne Street downtown is dry.

Canal Blvd. around Harrison is underwater, but a user posts that the water does NOT seem to be rising at all, regardless of what the nat'l. media reports."

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks. But that's not the Marigny/Bywater area. I was really inquiring about the post that said there was supposed to be 20 ft. of water in the Quarter, which would have meant the same sort of thing for Marigny/Bywater which is adjacent to the Quarter.

This indicates, if true, that all of the major tourist and historic sites remain above water.  As I said before the French Quarter and Uptown sit on a bluff of sorts adjacent to the Mississippi and their levees are intact according to reports.  Unfortunately, the poorer areas of town tend to be in the lowest lying areas and these are probably the areas that are being hit the hardest.  I believe the section where the levee burst is in an industrial/black section downriver from the Quarter.  It also seems that the suburbs are also hard hit.  NOTE:  I am not from NO, but I have spent a lot of time there.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You're right, a lot of the poorer areas were harder hit. But that's by no means an ironclad statement. Some of the wealthiest areas of town are out by the Lake, and those areas are submerged. And uptown has poor areas that didn't flood.

It's just New Orleans--the poor and wealthy live relatively close to each other.

It's just New Orleans--the poor and wealthy live relatively close to each other.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What's even worse is the fact that 25% are blow the poverty line with the poorest living in the lowest areas.

:o

According to CNN Martial Law has been declared in parts of Louisiana. This is the first time this has happened in the USA since WWII. (again according to CNN). This is due to the looting and extreme violence that is breaking out in NO. In many cases this is becoming more of a danger to the population than the storm.

According to CNN Martial Law has been declared in parts of Louisiana.  This is the first time this has happened in the USA since WWII.  (again according to CNN).  This is due to the looting and extreme violence that is breaking out in NO.  In many cases this is becoming more of a danger to the population than the storm.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's true, they said on msnbc that the entire city of New Orleans (the rest of it) is going to be ordered to evacuate because the efforts to stem the flood were not successful and the remaining pumps were expected to fail soon. They said they're expecting upwards of 15 additional feet of water and that this is the first time an entire major american city will have been evacuated in 140 years. Believe it or not this is not the worse damage. Gulport, Mississippi looks to be almost a total loss from the aerials.

According to CNN Martial Law has been declared in parts of Louisiana.  This is the first time this has happened in the USA since WWII.  (again according to CNN).  This is due to the looting and extreme violence that is breaking out in NO.  In many cases this is becoming more of a danger to the population than the storm.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yea there are reports of looters killing looters. These people can't get it together at all.

That report of even more flooding is quite tragic, the damage is not anywhere near over.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Far be it for me to disagree with CNN, but I was living in Memphis in 1968 when Dr. King was assassinated, I distinctly remember when both Detroit and Los Angeles (Watts) were undergoing major riots, and all of those places were placed under martial law.

Anyway:

http://www.wwltv.com/local/stories/WWLBLOG.ac3fcea.html

August 31, 6:41 P.M. - Efforts to stop the levee break at the 17th Street Canal have ended unsuccessfully and the water is expected to soon overwhelm the pumps in that area, allowing water to pour into the east bank of Metairie and Orleans to an expected height of 12-15 feet.

Yeah, I would figure that both the Watts (LA) and Detroit riots would have been marshall law events, since both involved the National Guard coming in to restore order.

@ sleepy - Didn't the National Guard come into Memphis is 68 too?

I have yet to see pictures of Gulport. I really wish I had taken some pictures of its downtown back last winter when I was there. From what I have been reading the city is in ruins.

According to CNN Martial Law has been declared in parts of Louisiana. This is the first time this has happened in the USA since WWII. (again according to CNN). This is due to the looting and extreme violence that is breaking out in NO. In many cases this is becoming more of a danger to the population than the storm.

This looting is ridiculous. Talk about adding insult to injury. I can understand stealing food or water maybe, but not TVs and clothes and jewelry. It looks like a freaking revolution on TV in NO. What the authorities should do is shoot looters. After a few shootings, people would learn to behave.

As to the flooding, I really hope the worst does not occur. I love New Orleans.

Yeah, I would figure that both the Watts (LA) and Detroit riots would have been marshall law events, since both involved the National Guard coming in to restore order.

@ sleepy - Didn't the National Guard come into Memphis is 68 too?

I have yet to see pictures of Gulport. I really wish I had taken some pictures of its downtown back last winter when I was there. From what I have been reading the city is in ruins.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They did a helicopter flyover on msnbc and the city was basically destroyed save for a few taller, stronger buildings downtown.

My heart goes out to all of those along the Gulf Coast whose lives have been forever changed by the events of the past few days. If I understand what I'm hearing and seeing, New Orleans may not be inhabited as it was for decades to come? :cry: I hope everyone in the neighboring cities and states will look kindly upon the displaced victims and help to meet their needs. We all feel their sorrow, but only they can understand the feelings they're experiencing right now. I am confident that the U.S. will show its greatest strength by pull together through this tragic time.

I have family that live very close to the Yacht Club on a hosue boat. They evacuated to GA.

Is their house gone?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I saw on Fox News that the Yacht Club burned down today. I was supposed to go to a wedding reception there this Saturday.

Unbelieveable! Fox is now reporting shooting going on in DT NO. Two idiots with AK-47s shooting into the precinct HQ and running back into the French Quarter. Really makes me wish I were a geared up in body armor with my own assult weapons to take them down. This can't be tollerated! A police officer was shot in the face yesterday. Other bodies were found with gunshot wounds as well. :angry:

The looting is ridiculous but folks have been under such stress probably many are doing what they normally would not. You have huge amounts of people with no food, no water, no clothing, no house and probably some with killed or missing relatives. In addition they are cramped up, hot, etc. This is really the worst. I just hope the leeves hold up and they can some how get some control to this mind boggling situation. My heart and prayers are with them all.

Archived