A resident of your city is called a ______?

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No, I believe that it is "New Orleanian"

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yep.

I thought it was Spartanburgers, like your old name.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No. Thats why I changed it. It added too much confusion. That name was more or a reference to the 'Spartan Burger,' which would be a tasty treat if one were to find it.

• 2 weeks later...

Was born a High Pointer (NC).

Have been at various times since then a Raleighite, a Wake Forester, a Chapel Hillian, a Durhamite, and now I live in Hillsborough, which I suppose would be a Hillsborougher? Hillsboroughian? Hillsburger?

The local media just say "Hillsborough resident" when they say it at all.

My family in Orlando used to refer to themselved as Orlandidians, which I always thought was just silly.

There have to be linguistic rules for this, right? Or does it just default to local custom?

Urbanesqe,

Yeah I would be interested if someone could find the actual linguistic rules for this. There are a handful of people that call themselves "Pittsburghians" but the correct term is "Pittsburghers". Which makes me thankful we weren't named after British Priminister Ham . . . oh with Heinz Field in Hamburg with all those Hamburgers watching the game. ;)

Archived