A resident of your city is called a ______?

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 1 month later...

Islip is like most any person from Long Island

if you leave the area you say I am originally a new yorker.

mainly because no one ever really know long island or certainly thing something other than what is real on Long Island. so its easiest to say new Yorker.

if you are say in CT or some place where people have some familiarity you can say Islander.

I am from Shelter Island New York on the east end of Lonf Island. the guy who sits next to me at work is from East Islip. we both just refer to it as "the Island" we both also refer to ourselves as Islanders, but usually say New Yorkers, because if you are on the Island you are part of New York.

My little town by the way has a term for locals "Hairlegger"

and East hampton NY, the ritzy Hamptons town has "Bonackers"

I am a Hairlegger, an Islander and New Yorker.

I was once a Potsdamian (Potsdam NY)

I was also a JAFA and a Sepo while living as an American in New Zealand (usually just said I was a New Yorker, not an American)

I am now a Manchesturian (Manchester CT)

or a Hartfordite.

I will never be a Nutmegger

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I live in Bremerton, Washington and some punk rockers in the past derided it, and called it's residents "Bremeloes". These days Bremerton has became as liberal and progressive as Seattle, which is across the water an hour away.

I have no idea what a person from Bremerton is legitimately called-lol

Archived