Downtown Chapel Hill & Carrboro development

DanRNC

There's a new article out about the proposed development at the Cat's Cradle shopping strip in downtown Carrboro.

Apparantly a 'mid-size chain' is planning on including a hotel in the project, right next to the Cat's Cradle's new location. 110 rooms, about $110 a night. They're hoping to break ground early next year on the first building.

I'm glad to here this project is still moving -- I hadn't heard anything about it in a while. I don't know how familiar y'all are with it, but it's a beautiful plan. I have trouble imagining how it could be done better. Not only will it tie in really well with Carrboro (pedestrian plaza/amphitheater, 3 story buildings by the road and 5 stories farther back), they're building it in phases so that none of the current commercial tenants will ever be homeless -- they can just move into the new buildings as they're completed, tearing down the old buildings later to make way for more construction. All but 1 tenant, apparantly, is planning on staying. I've seen renderings in person, but can't seem to find any online...

I really think this project is going to make Franklin/Rosemary seem infinitely more connected to DT Carrboro/Main Street.

Also, I don't think this project has been mentioned -- "shortbread lofts", to be built Rosemary, kind of across from Warehouse Apartments. 168 apartments targeting grad students and young professionals, mixed use with retail along Rosemary. The developer's calling it Workforce Housing, saying there won't be luxury units. Which is awesome to hear.

Here's another interesting on the incredible amount of stuff going on in DT. Chapel Hill's going to see a lot of changes over the next few years.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The mid-priced hotel is a great idea especially for bands touring in the area (they don't have to drive all the way across town to stay in an affordable place). I've had trouble finding renderings as well. Is it true that the Cradle and ArtsCenter will be multiple stories?

I hope franklin street can return to a more lively setting like the past.

Late responding to this one... but... I don't know what Franklin street you're talking about, but the one in Chapel Hill is certainly still lively to this very day, almost 24 hours a day. I wonder how much the activity level has changed since the 1980s, 1960s, 1940s even... probably not a whole lot!

According to the website, this is a conversion of a building constructed in 1937.

This is an unbelievable location, clearly reflected in the $900,000 cost. The 200 block of East Franklin is my favorite part of Chapel Hill.

Also late responding...and I know not part of a Chapel Hill discussion...this conversion reminds me that Cameron Ct, Boylan Apts and Grosvenor Gardens, all from the 1930's, may also get converted to for sale condos.

• 2 weeks later...

I live in the Dilworth neighborhood of Charlotte which is progressive,historic and walkable. I just wish it was bigger. Anyhow..Franklin St is a great resource and its been depressing every time I visit because much of it seems rundown and seedy. Its great that new projects are being proposed. Franklin has the potential to be a larger version of Main St. in Davidson,NC. Its small but clean and full of vibrant and diverse locally owned businesses.

I live in the Dilworth neighborhood of Charlotte which is progressive,historic and walkable. I just wish it was bigger. Anyhow..Franklin St is a great resource and its been depressing every time I visit because much of it seems rundown and seedy. Its great that new projects are being proposed. Franklin has the potential to be a larger version of Main St. in Davidson,NC. Its small but clean and full of vibrant and diverse locally owned businesses.
I don't really want Franklin Street to become Main Street, Davidson, NC. Franklin Street, particularly West Franklin Street, isn't squeaky clean, but far from being depressing to me, the grit is almost part of its appeal. It's old, it's well-used, and it's frequented by people of all races and economic statuses, and a lot of students. There are some signs of gentrification, but it's far from an all-encompasing atmosphere, and that's probably the way it should be.

By the way, if you find Franklin Street to be run-down, seedy, or depressing, I don't even want to know what you think of Carrboro. Imagine that gem of a town without the "grit." If you try too hard to remove everything that does not sparkle you can destroy an area's identity.

That's a fair point and while Main St Davidson does have an overly preppy Rockwell vibe lol...I would point out that the town has some of the most innovative land use and and pedestrian friendly ordinances in the state and the town population is diverse. I think Carrboro is great. The area is thriving and that diversity is what makes it so attractive. Making portions of Franklin St cleaner and more user friendly does not have to equate to losing "grit". The Grove Arcade and Haywood St in downtown Asheville are clean,socioeconomically diverse and thriving.

The Grove Arcade and Haywood St in downtown Asheville are clean,socioeconomically diverse and thriving.
I notice the two areas in Asheville you mention are among the cleaner, more "upscale" locations that downtown has to offer. Asheville's urban side would not have the broad appeal that it does today without somewhat grittier places like Lexington Avenue, Market Street, or Haywood Road (West Asheville) to go along with it.

I have to say that I didn't particularly like the Grove Arcade area in downtown Asheville-too dang homogenous. Yea you have preppies and hippies-but everyone is white and upper middle class (or of middle class upbringing). I just found it well.......boring. Chapel Hill/Carrboro has a vibe that really no other area in NC has.

The Grove Arcade is a beautiful building though.

I have to say that I didn't particularly the Grove Arcade area in downtown Asheville-too dang homogenous. Yea you have preppies and hippies-but everyone is white and upper middle class (or of middle class upbringing). I just found it well.......boring. Chapel Hill/Carrboro has a vibe that really no other area in NC has.
Getting way off-topic here, I agree. The people who own and work at the stores in the Grove Arcade are local and quite a diverse bunch, but perhaps the same can't be said of the people who shop there.

It's tempting to paint the Grove Arcade as a complete and resounding success in every way, because nearly every retail space is occupied, and wow, what a beautiful building. The arcade is indeed a very popular tourist destination, and during some months it could probably survive on tour bus traffic alone.

But outside of a few restaurants that caught on right away, the Grove Arcade that I know was not an immediate success. It has been struggling constantly since 2002 to become established as an amenity for the local population, while still maintaining its popularity as a tourist attraction. For example, the Grove Corner Market grocery store does decent business (and it's getting better) but it's not even in the black yet.

Tying this in with previous posts, I guess this is just an example of how pretty, neat, and clean things do not necessarily or immediately make a better downtown.

This Charlottean to go way off topic..sorry! Lex ave in Asheville is definitely gritty and Downtown Books and Instant Karma...two of my favorite stores are on that block. I hope the encroaching condos don't ruin the street's vibe. Anyhow, from an outsider's perspective some portions Franklin Street could use some sprucing up. Thats all I am trying to say. What is the latest on the gap where the gap used to be?

• 1 month later...
post-5831-1143839607_thumb.jpgI have added a picture of the new inn on Franklin St. called the Franklin Hotel. The image is computer generated but should give some idea of the scale and overall appearance although from street level it seems a lot larger.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Took some pictures today of Chapel Hill.

The Franklin seems to be coming together nicely. I think they did an excellent job with design of this building -- its not that stimulating architecturally, but for its size it blends in nicely while still making everything feel much more urban.

chapelhill006.jpg

chapelhill005.jpg

Here's the nearly completed Rosemary Village -- It looks like some people have already moved into the condos, though the retail spaces aren't finished yet.

chapelhill001.jpg

Though I don't like the architecture of the building, the retail portion's relationship to the sidewalk is almost perfect, in my book.

chapelhill002.jpg

Here's an apartment building that was completed last year. Small, effeciency apartments that are relatively affordable. I think I've mentioned them before:

chapelhill008.jpg

Its not flashy, but it added a lot to the block. The 10 story Greenbridge building will one day be the backround of the left portion of this photo:

chapelhill007.jpg

And this is where I think the shortbread lofts building is going to be (sorry for the bad angle):

chapelhill003.jpg

If its the lot I think it is, that means this great little building will have to go. Please someone correct me if I'm wrong -- this will be a loss to Rosemary, its one of few buildings from that time period on the strip:

chapelhill004.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

More condos near downtown could be on the way. They would be built at the present site of townhouse apartments which have gone downhill in the last couple of years. Its in a great location as it is a couple minutes walk to Franklin St. and located between main campus and Carolina North. Its also great to see that the eyesore known as Northhampton Terrace may bite the dust.

Story

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The Courtyard on West Franklin is currently going through a renovation. If you don't know where this is, its where Penang is located across from the Carolina Brewery. LocoPops just opened up there and 3 other great spots are also located there: 3 Cups (probably one of the best coffee and tea shops around), Sandwhich (great gourmet sandwiches), and Bonne Soiree (European restaurant). Anyways, this should become one of the newish hot spots in West Franklin when completed.

The Courtyard

West End

Archived