Downtown Chapel Hill & Carrboro development

DanRNC

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What does MENSA stand for?

I can't hardly stand to read the comments on the WRAL.com stories b/c folks on there always seem so spiteful and negative about everything. Even positive news stories get "isn't there anything better to report today then this" or "if I did that I wouldn't make the news" type comments. I hope those folks aren't like that in their everyday life ...

What does MENSA stand for?

I can't hardly stand to read the comments on the WRAL.com stories b/c folks on there always seem so spiteful and negative about everything. Even positive news stories get "isn't there anything better to report today then this" or "if I did that I wouldn't make the news" type comments. I hope those folks aren't like that in their everyday life ...

Mensa apparently means table in latin referring to the high IQ table or whatever...

I feel the same way about the comments on The Charlotte Observer's website, it is a sea of negativity and spite.

• 2 months later...

Not sure if this has been posted here yet, but a plan including renderings for Shortbread Lofts (which will be on Rosemary right behind Mediterranean Deli) is available on the Town of Chapel Hill website. All in all I'd say it's a mediocre design, but it's going to add a lot of people to downtown CH.

Also, a concept plan for the University Square redevelopment which is more detailed than anything I've seen so far is posted. The two buildings closest to Franklin would be torn down and replaced, but Granville Towers would remain in the first phase.

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 8 months later...

The University Square redevelopment project is going before council.

Read the N&O's report here.

The application with site plans and renderings is here.

There will be two five-story buildings facing Franklin Street, and a nine- or ten-story building behind them. The existing Granville Towers buildings will remain (at least for now.)

They seem to be preserving space for an eventual extension of Pittsboro Street which has always seemed like a no-brainer to me. The only thing blocking it is a few historic fraternity house buildings in the way. For a solution, how about moving the frat houses across the street. Expensive? Yes. But the connection would be well worth it, and would be a prerequisite for an eventual light rail extension to Carrboro.

post-823-0-15059900-1352740145_thumb.gif

• 7 months later...

I did not realize this since I do not frequent Chapel Hill very often, but Shortbread Lofts at 333 W. Rosemary is under construction, with completion planned in June 2014.

Downtown Chapel HIll and Carrboro are growing up somewhat lately. The next big projects in the pipeline, I suppose, are University Square in Chapel Hill and possibly other phases of 300 E Main in Carrboro. There are several other stalled boom-era projects in Carrboro that are being kept on life support thorugh extensions of zoning approvals, but I don't really see how they will move forward.

• 9 months later...

Archived