City of Champions

bsutter2

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There goes St. Pete's inferiority complex again. Why does St. Pete always feel they are in competition with Tampa? It's Tampa Bay, the Bay Area. Both cities are great and unique, and combined with Clearwater (and all the other locations that help define the area), it is one of the most desirable areas in the country.

otowner, you are right about one thing. I can't wait until the TAMPA BAY Devil Rays win the World Series either.

There goes St. Pete's inferiority complex again.  Why does St. Pete always feel they are in competition with Tampa?  It's Tampa Bay, the Bay Area.  Both cities are great and unique, and combined with Clearwater (and all the other locations that help define the area), it is one of the most desirable areas in the country. 

otowner, you are right about one thing.  I can't wait until the TAMPA BAY Devil Rays win the World Series either.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Im from Orlando. I could care less about any psychological intricacies that exist between Tampa and St Pete residents. Being an outsider to the Bay area, but still a Florida resident, I thought I would give my opinion as to what makes the Bay area a decent place. If Tampa has to rely on sports championships to give itself an ego boost, then whatever, just realize that St Pete has been and always will be the jewel of the Bay area.

I think the sign declaring Tampa the city of champions is small townish. Tampa needs to declare a more original slogan that is more unique to the city's character. Concerning this talk about St. Pete being the jewel of the Bay Area and that it should be the focus of the bay area; To my understanding it never has been. Tampa has always been the center of commerce and government for the entire region. St Pete is historically a resort town especially, catering to those in retirement. Things have changed a lot in St Pete over the years. However, I don't think it will ever be the focal point of the Bay Area. St. Pete does seem to dominate the museum scene for now, but I think even that will eventually equalize. St Pete does have something Tampa can't have though, a short ride to the Beach.

Enough. St pete and Tampa DO NOT operate as 2 seperate enitities. St. Pete has the Museums but one could aregue its the same metropolis. You could say "Tampa Bay" has great Museums. And as far as the main focus is concerned. Its called Tampa Bay not St.Pete Bay. Ask someone from out of state where Tampa is and they will say florida ask someone where St. Pete is and they'll have no clue. Marlins arnt going anywhere. That was just a rumor to get Florida government off their ass. County and city government already put up their money they just need an additional 30 million. They are not going to go to Vegas and wait for all those economic hurdles to occur there when they have already been delt with in Miami. Sorry but the city of champions is a lame and inaccurate slogan. Many other cities have won many more titles than Tampa. Including New York. They need a better slogan such as "Tampa the jewel of the gulf" or something like that.

how about, "Tampa: The City of Insecurity"

pun intended

for real though, i think St Pete makes the Tampa Bay Area what it is and that is what I am driving at, im not trying to separate the two. But just imagine what Tampa Bay area would be without St Pete, Tampa would just be another city with lots of crime, hot weather, too much traffic, etc. Because there are places like St Pete and Clearwater so nearby, people will consider moving to Tampa because those getaway destinations are so close by. Having Orlando nearby helps Tampa considerably also.

As a St. Pete navitve, I know that St. Pete will always be the secondary city in the Tampa Bay area, just like Ft. Lauderdale is to Miami, Oakland is to San Francisco, St. Paul is to Minneapolis, Ft. Worth is to Dallas and so on -- nice cities in their own right, but not the lead cities of their regions.

There could be a lot more regional cooperation in the Tampa Bay area though. I think the internal "rivalry" between the cities and the two main counties is one of the main reasons why the area just can't seem to generate much excitement about itself. Each city is selling itself seperately instead of the area selling itself as a whole.

Anyway..

On the subject, they need to try again with that slogan. It's a bland slogan for what many view as a bland city.

I agree with Jahi98 this area needs to work as one metropolis. It would be great to have one transit system, one expressway authority, one Bay area tourism bureau, etc. Orlando metro is probably a good model of cooperation between local governments. By the way I agree, St Pete and Clearwater help Tampa's appeal in general. The same can be said of Orlando; It's relative closeness to the Atlantic helps it's appeal. I don't think most current Orlando residents would have chosen to live in Orlando if located in Central New Mexico...well unless Disney was there.

Why the hatefest for Tampa ? And I'm an Orlandoan.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Everyone picks on Tampa, well, a lot do. Most of them have never been there, so they write what they think it is like. Or the few that say they have been here, judge Tampa by what they see on I-275 or the area around Busch Gardens. In my opinion, Tampa is the underdog of the larger Florida cities. Not many people know much about it, and when they do come and check it out, they are amazed at what they find.

Archived