New Haven: More Photos!

Garris

Hi everyone,

I visited a friend yesterday in New Haven, who took me for a tour of the city. To say the least, I was impressed. It feels like (and, really, it is) a completely different place than the New Haven I lived in in the mid-90's. You can read my kudos here in a post I put in the Providence board:

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.ph...view=getnewpost

I thought I'd also post some of the photos I took while there. I'll start with a couple of representative shots today and add more as the week goes on.

The CBD from the Green:

nhcbdwithsign4ww.jpg

Retail in 9th Square:

9thsqretail6sz.jpg

Some nice detailing on a historic building downtown:

nhcornicedetailing8vu.jpg

Looking through the trees on the Green:

newhavengreen13hm.jpg

A cool building and neon sign downtown:

nhneonsign4if.jpg

And finally, a nighttime shot of the New Haven skyline:

nhskylinenight10zg.jpg

Enjoy!

- Garris

Providence, RI

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I responded on the Providence thread but these pictures are great. NH is a great city and Hartford could learn alot from what they have accomplished. Also if CT learns how to market itself properly we can all benefit from the combined assets that we have within close proximity in our wonderful state of CT and also Western MA.

New Haven is definatly a great city and also more of a college town then one thinks. In a college book that disucess what students say about there schools talks about how Quinnipiac University students in Hamden head down to one of CT's cultural centers (NH) for entertainment, parties, food, concerts, etc.

Wonderful shots, the choices are just as good as the photograhs.

Chapel Street in New Haven is one of the best blocks anywhere, great restaurants, bookstores, museums, it's lively, friendly and attractive. This is a very nice (and very underrated) smal city.

Wonderful shots, the choices are just as good as the photograhs.

Chapel Street in New Haven is one of the best blocks anywhere, great restaurants, bookstores, museums, it's lively, friendly and attractive.  This is a very nice (and very underrated) smal city.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for the kind words everyone. And TauearnJ, I'd love to visit Tallahassee some time!

Here are three more random images for today... Maybe I'll group things by theme starting tomorrow...

Beerbeer mentioned the Chapel St area, which was always active and vibrant between College and York, even during the bad old days when I lived there. What I was shocked about was how vibrant that area now is between York and Park and "down" towards State St. Amazing. In the mid 90's, there was absolutely zip in those two areas! So, for beerbeer's Chapel St mention, here's a night shot I took of Chapel:

chapel13zs.jpg

Here's another retail signage shot in 9th Square, off of Crown (another totally dead street when I lived in NH):

winebar7rw.jpg

And finally, wrapping up today is a detail shot of the skyline extending "up" Church Street from the CBD:

skylinedetailing1li.jpg

Enjoy! More later...

- Garris

Providence, RI

I have to say you are one good photographer. Are you a professional?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thank you for the kind words! I'm certainly not a professional... Far from it. I'm actually a physician who has long had urbanism as a hobby. I would always wonder why people never took the kind of photos of cities that I would if I knew how. The only place I saw photos of cities I liked were in those cheesy tourism books of local attractions you'd find in hotels or travel magazines on airplanes. So I bought a few books, a camera, and taught myself the basics...

I'm always open to feedback of how to make my photos better. There are some people who post all over the internet who are scary good at all types of photography. One of a zillion examples is here, check out this guy's photoblog:

http://www.disneymike.com/photoblog/archives/2005/08/

His stuff is amazing. He also lists his settings for each photo, which helps us all studying his stuff to learn. Puts me to shame. And good photos should not be "gear" related, as many people think. 3 megpixels, 9megapixels; $200 camera, $2000 camera... As long as you know the basics, the results shouldn't differ that much.

I'm always open to feedback on how to make myself better!

Continuing with New Haven and continuing with the Chapel St. theme, here is the rest of my night photography of Chapel:

Looking down a side alley festooned with restaurants...

chapel23as.jpg

A band plays in a corner Starbucks...

cornerclub2ht.jpg

Scoozi's, in a cool sunken plaza off Chapel below street level, still draws a huge crowd years later...

scoozi6je.jpg

Enjoy! More later...

- Garris

Providence, RI

Thank you Garris, this photo series is spectacular. I hadn't realized how much New Haven has changed in just a matter of a couple years. I was down there in 1999 and it still felt like the "old New Haven." This offers some legitimate hope for Hartford's future.

Thank you Garris, this photo series is spectacular.  I hadn't realized how much New Haven has changed in just a matter of a couple years.  I was down there in 1999 and it still felt like the "old New Haven."  This offers some legitimate hope for Hartford's future.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It sure does. I was there not too long ago and the funny thing is the suburbs are not the greatest compared to Hartford's, but the city is by far more attractive and vibrant in it's urban core. The showcase cinemas I went to sucked, it was little as hell and outdated. We don't even have stuff like that in this part of the state any more. The mall in Milford can't compare to Westfarms or Buckland. The nearest real nice mall is in Trumbull I think or Stamford. They still have alot of work to do in the community as do we though.

No pics of the ugly-ass SBC-East (formerly SNET) HQ?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hehe... You know, it's featured prominently in one of my streetscape shots I'm going to post next week. Its airtraffic control tower type crown makes it look taller than it really is. Yale Payne Whitney gym and Sterling Memorial Library are actually taller.

I actually was somewhat fond of the SBC building. Unlike some 60's-70's modern buildings that take themselves so seriously (see the Yale Architecture building), the SBC building is almost whimsical, a near parody of modernism that has always endeared it to me. It's modernism with a wink and nod...

- Garris

Providence, RI

• 2 weeks later...

wow, I will have to agree with everyone else and say these are some topnotch photos.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks everyone! I'm back from vacation and will start to wrap up the series.

Today, we'll focus on the impressive Courthouse downtown...

courthouse4xy.jpg

courthouse27xo.jpg

courthouse39fo.jpg

And because it was requested, a streetscape with the SBC-East Building in the distance...

streetscape10cy.jpg

More tomorrow!

- Garris

Providence, RI

Continuing...

While I was just photographing the city and not Yale, it is impossible to miss where New Haven and Yale meet...

Here is Yale's skyline looking towards "Science Hill"...

yaleskyline5kw.jpg

The imposing Phelps Gate, one of several formal entrances to the campus...

yalephelpsgate5pk.jpg

Looking towards Yale's Sheffield-Sterling-Strathcona (SSS) Hall from the New Haven Green...

yalefromgreen4pn.jpg

Changing gears to some black and whites, here is a B&W of the old Colliseum parking garage (I like the pattern)...

parkinggarage1lc.jpg

Here is a black and while of the CT Financial Center. I love the way it towers over the lower buildings to the Southeast...

tower0lz.jpg

More tomorrow!

- Garris

Providence, RI

Continuing...

Some miscellaneous streetscape shots today:

Some nice 9th Square restaurant signage... (Providence could use some signage like that)

9thsqretail26iw.jpg

Streetscape detailing, also from 9th Square...

9thsqstreetscape2copy4ww.jpg

The longstanding Cafe Adulis and

adulis0bv.jpg

A cool litle alley...

alley8fg.jpg

Some of the Ye Olde architecture of the banks on Church Street...

churchstbanks1ao.jpg

And finally, the full length of Church Street looking Northwest...

churchstlength4bf.jpg

More later!

- Garris

Providence, RI

Archived