CONSTRUCTION THREAD: The Camperdown

RestedTraveler

And some seem like they will never become a reality, like the Gateway/Federal Courthouse building. :lol:

I know that they are supposed to get some sort of approval and won't start building until 2007 or something, but do we know when to expect some architectural renderings of the Gateway site?

I am hoping that the wait will cause it to be even better and grander than it would've been if they had been able to start construction immediately.

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, the ballpark (PLEASE lets cease using the term "stadium" :sick: ) had one singular tenant: the Drive. Greenridge was a pretty well-organized effort which had major tenants lined up prior to announcing the project. ICAR is your typical research park. There's an overall master blueprint for what the site will become and some big names are anncouned early on when the project is announced and others sign on over time.

Piazza Bergamo is being re-worked at the behest of the City of Greenville's Design and Preservation Committee, having given into the wishes of Dog Owners; hence, the delay.

Unlike the ballpark, Greenridge, and ICAR, the condo/office tower projects (Pinnacle on Main, the Camperdown, the Tower at Falls and Broad, etc.) require some interest (and a certain % of spaces reserved at auction) before construction can begin; otherwise, it's not worthwhile for the developer.

And some seem like they will never become a reality, like the Gateway/Federal Courthouse building. :lol:

I know that they are supposed to get some sort of approval and won't start building until 2007 or something, but do we know when to expect some architectural renderings of the Gateway site?

I am hoping that the wait will cause it to be even better and grander than it would've been if they had been able to start construction immediately.

Good question. My guess would be sometime between now and the middle of this year. I hope it's by the middle of this year at least.

The Gateway site can help downtown take the next step. It can really help connect the arena to the CBD. Currently, that empty spot of prime real estate breaks things up too much.

They can either be bland and create a boring box, or go for something great and make an impact. It will be important, not only for the skyline, but because it truly will be the "gateway" to Greenville via I-385.

Anyone see/hear news of a possible construction timeline?

Not yet, except for the one on their website saying it was supposed to start in the winter of 2005 even though it is now winter of 2006. These development companies need to update their websites more often and tell us when the construction of these things are actually going to start.

• 3 weeks later...

Are Camperdown developers waiting on a certain number of units to be sold before starting? Have they even put any of the units up for sale yet? What is the delay?

Last I heard, a couple of weeks ago, there are a total of 81 units and 47 had been sold....more that half. Should be starting soon. :thumbsup:

Archived