CONSTRUCTION THREAD: Kroc Center

RestedTraveler

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was at a meeting about three weeks ago in the West End and one of the directors? From the salvation army gave a update on the Kroc center.

The Kroc center is working on a deal with the school system to located an elementary school (as we have been discussing) on the site. This is taking some time to work out but seems to be a great idea. Part of this deal is for the Kroc Center to trade some of its land (for the new school) to the school district in exchange for land on the other side of the Reedy river. As you can imagine this is a complicated deal that will have a great effect on the final design of the Kroc center.

The Salvation Army is still rasing its part of the funding ($15-$16 Million) and is about $1 - $1.5 million away (Should be completed this summer)

The Kroc center will have 5 pools one will be larger that olymic size.

The Kroc Center will have 16 grass, clay and paved tennis courts with stands suitable for large televised tournaments.

The Kroc Center will employ 150 people and expects to be used by 3,000 people per day

The center will break ground this summer (with the school being the big hold up)

Summer? This thing is taking FOREVER to break ground. Just stick a shovel in the ground already.

I can do that. Anyone want to take my photo doing that? We should all do "groundbreakings" for fun kind along the lines of the recent flashmob craze.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flash_mob

and the improv everywhere people!

http://www.improveverywhere.com/home.php

:silly:

Thats not terrible news. I can understand that they are waiting until they raise all the money before they get started. If they can build a school there it would be a REALLY popular school and hopefully draw even more people to live downtown in its district.

But yea, lets get this sucker started already.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Bumping this thread, as I was just talking with someone who heard the final million is well on it's way from a couple of major donors. I would think we should hear an announcement soon that all the money has been riased. :thumbsup:

Will be great to see construction start on this.

Could someone remind me what exactly will be at the Kroc Center? I gather it will be like a YMCA type place on steroids, is that so?

Did I read correctly that there will be a Tiger Woods training facility for kids?

Will there be an ice rink there? Greenville could use another ice facility.

Climbing wall, olympic size pool(s), golf course, basketball, art facilities, computer rooms, educational facilities, etc, etc.

Somewhere back in this thread are renderings of the building. Quite sizable. :thumbsup:

Plus, it is going to provide quality development on the land on the "other" side of Academy. That land is currently undeveloped and rather unsightly, so I am looking forward to the brand-new Kroc Center going up. Oh yeah, and it will do wonders for youth living in West Greenville. :thumbsup:

absolutely. (to everything you mentioned). :thumbsup:

• 1 month later...

I thought this brought us up to 14million. Am I wrong?

The article says "over" 14 million with this donation. I've been keeping a loose tally and I estimate between 500k to 600k remains. Don't have the exact numbers.....maybe somebody does. :dontknow:

Archived