CONSTRUCTION THREAD: Kroc Center

RestedTraveler

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

^ :lol:

We're good on this one. Kroc Foundation presented the 50 million check. It is a done deal! :yahoo:

And with that said, I really like the way Kroc goes about this. They pick cities and then give the cities the chance to earn the donation. It isn't an automatic handout. From my understanding, Greenville earned it's portion fairly quickly. Some cities picked haven't faired so well from what I hear. Go Greenville. :thumbsup:

:yahoo:

Guys I think this will prove to be a HUGE peice of the puzzle in years and decades to come. It is not too often a community gets 50mm to build a "playground" for its citizens and their children. But even more, this will be an asset that few places across the nation will share, and will greatly enhance that QOL we always talk about. It will also make great use of currently undeveloped (and wasted) space, and greatly expand DT. And if you think the ball park did a lot to revitalize it's area, wait until this baby is up and running!

The Gville news article was very brief, anyone hear of a time frame for construction?

It's a great thing for the community.

Many downtown revitalizations can cut out the lower end of the socio-economic end of society, and be for older age groups. This is defintely providing a new gateway into downtown towards a poorer end of the community.

It's faith based, so activity there will be holistic, rather than narrowly focused on one part of life.

And for children, it will be a great place to get started in making and achieving goals, which can lead to greater success for themselves and the community at large.

It's a great investment.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Has anyone else noticed that in the site plan the croc center faces away from 123. For an area that really needs a face lift due to being a downtown "gateway area" it seems like a real missed opportunity not having such a beautiful building face out.

It looks like it is facing inward and towards the green area. That is probably best to keep the kids from running out towards the street. If they landscape the Academy Street side nicely it ought to work out fine.

Will the swimming pool be visible from the road, it looks close on the drawing.

Has anyone else noticed that in the site plan the croc center faces away from 123. For an area that really needs a face lift due to being a downtown "gateway area" it seems like a real missed opportunity not having such a beautiful building face out.

You're just looking at one side of the place with that rendring, though. I think if you saw the rendering from another perspective, you'd see that it fronts Academy quite nicely and will definitely provide a pleasant "gateway" entrance into downtown.

I'm looking forward to that tennis center materializing, myself. Anybody else jazzed about that possibility?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived