CONSTRUCTION THREAD: Kroc Center

RestedTraveler

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is a street that fronts the rear of the Kroc Center property (don't know the street name). The Greenway trail crosses this street. Noticed this morning that sewer work is going on and new curbs are being put in.....looks like the street is being widened.....the street is currently closed for repaving. I would think this is being done by the city in anticipation of the Kroc Center construction.

DSC04409.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hmm, this has nothing to do with the Kroc Center but it was exciting! My friend's dad has a studio next to this location, just across the river. We were in the parking lot of the studio and this helicopter kept flying over really low, and eventually landed on the concrete slab at the Kroc location. A few people got out of the helicopter and into three BMWs that had been waiting for them and they drove off. And then...the helicopter started taking off again and a big gust of wind came through and he definitely almost went down. Luckily he regained control, set it down, and then was able to take off. Ok, sorry about that but I haven't told anyone that story yet haha.

Is Spring 09 still the start date on this?

I had heard it was supossed to start this Spring, but now I too have heard Spring 09 for whatever reason. This may be the biggest of all DT delay mysteries to me. The money has all been accounted for, and the plans were pretty well decided even prior to that. SO what the hold up is I have no idea. :whistling::dunno::angry:

I had heard it was supossed to start this Spring, but now I too have heard Spring 09 for whatever reason. This may be the biggest of all DT delay mysteries to me. The money has all been accounted for, and the plans were pretty well decided even prior to that. SO what the hold up is I have no idea. :whistling::dunno::angry:

That is strange. We sure do have a lot of "groundbreakings" followed by delays... :unsure:

It could have something to do with the school that will also occupy the site. It was somewhat of an afterthought and approved much later. Until its drawings are complete, I'd think that you wouldn't want to begin constructing for fear of program changes that could ultimately affect the adjacent buildings... but I don't know.

Hmm, this has nothing to do with the Kroc Center but it was exciting! My friend's dad has a studio next to this location, just across the river. We were in the parking lot of the studio and this helicopter kept flying over really low, and eventually landed on the concrete slab at the Kroc location. A few people got out of the helicopter and into three BMWs that had been waiting for them and they drove off. And then...the helicopter started taking off again and a big gust of wind came through and he definitely almost went down. Luckily he regained control, set it down, and then was able to take off. Ok, sorry about that but I haven't told anyone that story yet haha.

My boss saw a helicopter sunday land on Batesville Rd.

I'm guessing the Helicopter, had something to do with the BMW PRO-AM Transfering Celebrities maybe? I think they were asking about Furman Graduation because of the Helicopters seen, thinking it could be secret service personal scoping the area out.

• 1 month later...

City has advertised to pre-qualify contractors for the construction of the AJ Whittenberg school which is slated to start in December 2008. It says site work for the Kroc center and school will begin in August this year.

Excellent to hear! :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I drive by this every day hoping for some vehicles or some sign of life, but still nothing. Does anyone know when the elementry school is slated for completion and whether or not it is a full go or not?

This going to look great with the highrises going up to the East and this development ging up to the West. Can't wait for it to be done.

I drive by this every day hoping for some vehicles or some sign of life, but still nothing. Does anyone know when the elementry school is slated for completion and whether or not it is a full go or not?

This going to look great with the highrises going up to the East and this development ging up to the West. Can't wait for it to be done.

The city has to approve a variance for the project first before it can begin construction. The planning commission has recommended that they approve it. Here is the pdf file for it: http://www.greatergreenville.com/city_gove...WestfieldSt.pdf Elementary school is scheduled for completion in 2010. All funding has been raised for project. Construction will probably begin in October of this year.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Citylife, do you kow if this is gonna start in the next few days?

It's supposed to start construction by the end of this month. The hold up was with getting variance passed by the city. That passed so there's nothing holding up the project anymore. It usually takes a few days or weeks for the construction contractor to get set up and ready to go.

Archived