CONSTRUCTION THREAD: Kroc Center

RestedTraveler

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

I think the most important spinoff will be that properties near the Kroc Center will become much more desirable for new residential development. That happened in San Diego with the original Kroc Center. The elementary school will also help greatly in luring families.

Other than that will be the general boost to existing businesses.

• 4 weeks later...

Was by the Kroc Center site this morning and the site prep is moving along nicely. I noticed there were piles of old brick that had been unearthed. What do companies do with old brick they find at sites? Sell them? Haul them to the landfill? Is there a good local reseller of used (historic) brick? :dontknow:

Was by the Kroc Center site this morning and the site prep is moving along nicely. I noticed there were piles of old brick that had been unearthed. What do companies do with old brick they find at sites? Sell them? Haul them to the landfill? Is there a good local reseller of used (historic) brick? :dontknow:

Somebody correct me if i'm wrong, but i'm pretty sure they can either reuse the brick like they did at Fluor Field or they can grind it up and turn it into concrete, gravel, new brick, etc.

Somebody correct me if i'm wrong, but i'm pretty sure they can either reuse the brick like they did at Fluor Field or they can grind it up and turn it into concrete, gravel, new brick, etc.

Yes, there are companies that buy the old brick and re-sell them. The brick used to build Fluor Field was bought from one of these companies who salvaged them from an old textile mill in Joanna, SC. It's a great historic (textile) tie-in to our city's past. Not sure if it will happen there though, as those bricks were probably buried for many years and may not be in good shape. It would be nice to find out. I am always wary of construction around the Reedy river area in the sense that I don't think much is done to find/identify artifacts from our long historic past around that area. I seem to remember there was a mill and possibly a big carpentry factory there on the Kroc site a hundred years or more ago. I'll have to look at the old Sanborn maps again and check it out.

^ Thanks for the info on the brick greenvillehistorytours.

Wasn't there also an old ballpark / stadium somewhere around the Kroc Center site? Any old photos?

You're thinking of Meadowbrook park, Greenville's minor league park from 1940 - 1972. It burned down in '72, mostly a wood structure.

It was a few blocks north of where the Kroc structure will be: http://maps.google.com/maps?q=%22meadowbro...=1&ct=title

I haven't seen any photos of it online.

Archived