Should UrbanPlanet have a Chicago Section?

monsoon

120 members have voted

1. 1. Should UrbanPlanet have a Chicago Section?

• No
    • Yes

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Should UrbanPlanet have a Chicago Section?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm a bit biased cause Chicago is one of my favorite cities and the first big city I saw when I was a little kid. Beyond that, I would think it's a great idea anyway :thumbsup: .

Chicago definately needs a forum, I would participate. I'm interested in finding out about projects and chicago, I just don't follow enough to be the one starting the topics and supplying the info. Maybe the reason there isn't a lot of Chicago activity is becouse there isn't a Chicago forum to begin with.

Right. It's hard to see why someone would think that....what with it being 99% of the topics here. <_<

99% of the topics here are not about skyscrapers. We are an urban discussion site and I'd say a good 80% of our topics here revolve around urban issues and not skyscrapers specifically. Maybe that 99% you refer to is around 5% in reality, I suppose you can always skew the numbers however you'd like though.

99% of the topics here are not about skyscrapers.  We are an urban discussion site and I'd say a good 80% of our topics here revolve around urban issues and not skyscrapers specifically.  Maybe that 99% you refer to is around 5% in reality, I suppose you can always skew the numbers however you'd like though.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

And you can skew the language however you like as well. There's a reason there is no section for Fargo, North Dakota. Or Sante Fe, New Mexico. Whatever. If you want to get your knickers in a knot over it, go right ahead. :thumbsup:

Even if we agree to your definition of the site, it's still ridiculous that Chicago took this long to get it's own forum. Not "urban" enough for ya?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

If you add a Chicago subforum on UrbanPlanet, you might want to add a Central Illinois subforum as well. Peoria, Bloomington, and Normal are all growing, which might lead to some urban discussion. You could put Champaign, Urbana, and Galesburg in there as well (any I-74 town :rolleyes:) I don't know if there is anyone besides myself on UrbanPlanet that has lived in these areas, so it might be a while.

Chicago definitely needs its own forum. It's the third largest city in the country and has one of the most impressive skylines in the world. Even if it may not have a lot of traffic, it still deserves its own thread. I mean, in the Georgia forum Augusta and Columbus have their own forum and I wouldn't even expect most people to know about them!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I agree with EbonyGardens, its not a matter of Chicago being a large city and has nothing to do with how much traffic there is on the forum. Almost every thread on the Illinois forum deals with chicago. If a Chicago section was created, it would contain almost all of the same information contained on this forum.

Creating a Chicago forum whould only make sense if, in the future, there are a greater number of threads for another section of Illinois.

I do hope that this forum continues to grow :)

• 4 weeks later...

Having grown up in southern Illinois myself, I say yeah... Chicago needs its own forum. I came in here hoping, by chance, there would be some info about the developments going on in the southern IL area... new minor league ballpark, new developments at SIU, maybe even the long forgotten rumors about a Busch Gardens. But, sadly... I am lost in topics related to Chicago.

I guess that's about right though... honestly... it's always been that way lol. If you tell people you are from Illinois... where do they automatically assume?

So yeah... maybe my hopes of Chicago being seperate from the rest of the state are a little far reaching. Can't say i'm not really used to it... :P

Archived