Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MadVlad

Bushnell Towers/MDC on Main/Gold/Wells

23 posts in this topic

Remember that skating rink that they had in Bushnell Park about 4 years ago? Wasn't there talk about adding a permanent one downtown? I was thinking a good spot would be in the area of MDC/Bushnell Towers. Not sure if there's room, but they could probably fit one there and still have all the underground parking there below it....

I think it would be a great idea as this would draw people downtown.

I kept hearing things about it a few years ago, but then my work got moved to Bridgeport, so I lost touch a little, didn't know if you guys heard anything.

Wow! That sounds really cool. I know in St. Louis they had one in the park that was pretty popular. I think it's a great idea!

I think two skating rinks within a mile or so of each other would be a bad thing (the Trinity College Community Sports Center and Ice Rink is supposed to open Fall 2006...but with our budget problems that date will probably be pushed back until we're not broke anymore)

Well, the Trinity rink will be just a regular rink, the one in downtown Hartford would be an open-air rink, only open in the winter. I don't see the problem....

I agree. Though New York is not a great point of comparison, there are several rinks in urban downtown settings here and they have been very successful. I know the demand exists in the region as Hartford's neighbor, Windsor, puts up a popular temporary rink on the town green each winter.

I agree. Though New York is not a great point of comparison, there are several rinks in urban downtown settings here and they have been very successful. I know the demand exists in the region as Hartford's neighbor, Windsor, puts up a popular temporary rink on the town green each winter.

East Hartford had one on the corner of Main and Governor St. 2 years ago, and it was successful too. They can't have it there now because of construction, and since downtown Hartford is a 2 minute drive away, there's no reason it can't fill the void.

We did have a temporary one in bushnell park if I remember right. Not sure if it was last year or the year before. I know it would be a good seosonal draw though to put a permanent one in the park.

My parents live down in Florida, and Ocala has an ice rink set up each winter, which is very successful. If a city that far south has one... I think Hartford needs to jump on the bandwagon.

Boston has the Frog Pond rink in the common, and Providence has the Bank of America City Center right in the center of the city. This is New England, there should be open air rinks in our city centers, it's a no-brainer. Providence has had some fits and starts in how best to run the rink during the summer. In previous years a skateboard park was set up during the summer, but they are trying to rent the space out for more revenue generating events, concerts and such. It finally seems to be coming into it's own now.

Amen. The rink could be used for roller skating in the summer (like in Central Park) or could be temporary/seasonal (like in Bryant Park). I don't think we need to permanently alter any part of Bushnell Park though. After all, that beautiful open-space will (God-willing) be packed with activity in future years.

I have been to the Bank of America skating rink in Providence and it does wonders for the city. I even read that the rink in Providence is twice the size of the rink in Rockefeller Plaza in NYC.

^I wouldn't be surprised, the rink in Rockafeller Center isn't particularly big, just a major tourist attraction.

There are much larger rinks in Manhattan, namely the Trump rink in Central Park, the new Bryant Park Rink and another uptown in Central Park.

We need to get Trump up to hartford to really get something going....

Downtown Hartford can defintely use a permanent ice skating rink. It could be one more great attraction that would give people another reason to go or be downtown.

I even read that the rink in Providence is twice the size of the rink in Rockefeller Plaza in NYC.

I think it's so funny that they use that as a marketing hook. But for whatever reason it makes people go, "really?! Wow!" so it's good marketing.

That temporary rink in Bushnell Park from about 4 years ago was a huge success. Why the city doesn't bring it back every winter, or build a permanent rink is beyond me. Lack of funds is not an excuse. If we can offer tens of millions of dollars to developers to help bring their projects on line, I'm sure we could easily pony up a couple hundred thousand bucks to build a rink.

I was on the board of the Bushnell Park Foundation when the skating rink was located in the park. Despite its popularity, there was no entity that was interested in paying for/managing the rink. If I recall correctly, Leadership Greater Htfd had some roll in it initially. Obvious to anyone who lives here is the fact that the city doesn't currently have the capacity to manage anything new. The Bushnell Park Foundation is not an entity that manages events or programs. It's not their purpose. There were some mighty efforts on behalf of the rink but none of them succeeded. It ought to be revisited. This is a perfect example of why the players in community development in Htfd become discouraged and ask themselves "Why is it that what other cities manage to do, we cannot manage to do?"

Exactly, that's the problem with this spot, absolutely nothing goes on...