GMU Construction Thread

wrldcoupe4

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

okay let's start off on the main campus (Fairfax Campus)....

Academic V will be a new $17,397,000 Fine Arts building. It will be 87,000sf of new art studio spaces, galleries, computer classrooms, faculty offices, and general education classrooms. It's currently in Design phase.... no renderings yet.

Construction has now started on a 26,492 expansion of the Aquatic and Fitness Center. The $7,027,000 expansion will add new fitness room and create additional locker rooms for use by visiting teams. It is currently home to the CAA Swimming Championships.

P4250013.jpg

P4250001.jpg

Research I will be a 100,000sf research facility for instructional and research laboratories. It will also have a semi-attached tower that will have a rooftop observatory for the Astronomy Dept.

gmu-view-copy-small.jpg

The Robinson Field upgrade will replace the grass field with artificial turf and also upgrade the lighting. It should be finished by the end of this year.

fieldrendering.jpg

Construction will also begin soon on a new 2500 seat volleyball and wrestling venue adjacent to the field house near the soccer stadium. The field house will also be upgraded and expanded. New tennis facilities will also be located nearby.

The 10,000 seat Patriot Center, home of the basketball team and numerous entertainment events including a boxing event i'll be going to in september :), will also be upgraded and expanded...

LEVEL2.gif

southside of arena rendering:

SouthFace150dpi.jpg

westside of arena rendering:

WestFace150dpi.jpg

councourse rendering:

Concourse150dpi.jpg

ill post more later

The biggest development on the Fairfax campus is the Northeast Sector Development:

"At $75M, Northeast Sector Development is the University's largest construction project to date. Planned and executed as a design-build effort, the 450,000 SF mixed-use development consists of:

* Five multistory residence buildings, at 5 to 6 floors each, supporting a total of 1,030 beds.

* Exhibition-style dining facility with a capacity to seat over 500 diners.

* Fitness center with cardio, weight training, and indoor basketball and racquetball courts.

* Retail operations that will include a coffee house/convenience store and wood-fired pizza and pasta restaurant.

* Various recreation and office spaces."

It should be completed by fall of 2008...here are some renderings:

campusmaploc.jpg

mapdrawing.jpg

50.jpg

20.jpg

Dining/Fitness

DiningFitness_WElev.jpg

40.jpg

You can find more info if you want on the gmu facilities management website...there are other smaller projects such as renovations of buildings etc..

GMU facilities

On the Arlington and Prince William Campuses,there is also construction going on....

The Arlington Campus is primarily home to the Law School

To be finished in 2009, Arlington II will provide faculty offices, classrooms, general purpose library, auditorium, and computer labs. Building is 245,000 SF, and parking structure below building is 170,000 SF.

It will house portions of the School of Public Policy, Graduate School of Education, College of Arts & Sciences, School of IT & Engineering, School of Management, College of Nursing and Health Sciences, ICAR, College of Visual and Performing Arts, Instructional Facilities, ICES.

At the prince william campus, planning is underway for the Prince William Performing Arts Center (there is already a Concert Hall at the Fairfax Campus)

It will be a "84,000 GSF facility which includes a 1100 seat performance hall, 1 performance/rehearsal space, 2 rehearsal rooms, dressing rooms, support spaces, and administrative areas. The project is a collective vision of George Mason University, City of Manassas, and Prince William County."

Exterior-perspective.jpg

Rehearsal-Room.jpg

Grand-Foyer.jpg

GMU has also established a preliminary location in Loudoun County and has established a campus at Ras-Al-Khaimah in the United Arab Emirates. The goal is to expand enrollment to more than 2,000 students within the next 10 to 15 years.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'll try to post a link to the master plan.... hey stupid_nut... :lol: did you know that they plan to build a bridge over rt 123, linking the east campus (predominately academic and student housing) and west campus (primarily athletics) for traffic and pedestrians?

okay here we go....

here's a link to both the University Master Plan and Athletics Master Plan which includes plans for an expandible 15,000+ seat Div I-AA football stadium :D

GMU master plans

• 4 weeks later...

Not exactly new building construction, though Krasnow will undergo construction to accomodate the new equipment....

George Mason's Krasnow Institute for Advanced Study announced its purchase of a state-of-the-art brain scanning machine, significantly upgrading the university

• 2 weeks later...

early rendering for a new building for GMU's Volgenau School of Information Technology and Engineering

itebldg2.jpg

"The School of Information Technology and Engineering (IT&E) celebrated its 20th anniversary last Friday night, culminating in an announcement of a $10 million gift from Ernst and Sara Volgenau. The gift is the largest individual contribution in the history of the university and kicks off the newly named Volgenau School of IT&E

Hey Wrldcoupe, Thanks for the updates on Mason...Being an alumnus I'm excited to hear about all of the stuff that's going on up there. I just wish that it was going on when I was there. I graduated last year, a year too soon I guess.

Tell me something, I hear that the school has a sports bar on campus...it's called Damons? The Alumni newsletter was vague about it and a friend and I are curious if there's really a bar. If so, a year too soon again.

Hey stunad... good to know there's another patriot on UP! The newsletter was right... The dining stuff in SUB I was turned into a Full-service Damon's Sports Grill... and yes it has a bar. They are waiting for the ABC license but once it comes they'll be serving anything a full bar serves. There's also a Damon's Express, so you can get some restaurant food on the go (and pay with meal plans)...KFC or Chick-Fil-A are also going in next to the damon's by spring.

I know how you feel about leaving a year too soon. I guess the good news is that itll be great to be an alumnus

It's good to know that...I'll have to stop by the campus and check things out for myself. As you noted, it's good to see Mason coming along. The only cool place to hang out was the ever-so-crowded JC and Sub I was a dump. That's just awesome to have restaurants to go to. I've been telling friends and family that the school was about ten years behind with regards to new dorms and campus amenities. It really sounds like they're not playing around. That mixed-use complex sounds like a cool village concept for the campus. I also like that they've expanded into the other counties, but haven't frogoten about the Fairfax Campus. Because that should always be the centerpiece and the other campuses should compliment it. You watch, in about five to ten years this school will be up there with the private's accross the Potomac. I think that the education is already there, but they've got a reputation to contend with.

Ok Keep the info pumping as you get it. Go Patriots

from Mason's student paper, The Broadside (even though mason's other paper, Expulsion is way better)... a quick excerpt:

Broadside Online

The Fairfax campus of George Mason University is undergoing an extreme makeover. This makeover is intended to give Mason a new image in an effort to attract prospective students. Since the beginning of the semester, construction projects have been taking place all over campus not only to enhance Mason

• 3 weeks later...

While this isn't exactly construction related, it could be... as more research investment occurs here, plans are for a large scale research park on the west fairfax campus. They've already received funding for a Bioweapons research facility at the Prince William Campus...

The goal basically... is to have mason rank among the top 100 research schools in the country within 5 years.

University Asks Legislators to Support Sweeping Research Initiative

"In a meeting this week with Northern Virginia delegates, President Alan Merten called upon legislators to provide additional funding needed to turn George Mason into a world-class research university able to compete in the high-tech and biotech industries that are the foundation of the economic future.

In a plan that asks the state to add $5 million a year for the next five years to George Mason

Construction has now started on a 26,492 expansion of the Aquatic and Fitness Center. The $7,027,000 expansion will add new fitness room and create additional locker rooms for use by visiting teams. It is currently home to the CAA Swimming Championships.

P4250013.jpg

P4250001.jpg

Research I will be a 100,000sf research facility for instructional and research laboratories. It will also have a semi-attached tower that will have a rooftop observatory for the Astronomy Dept.

gmu-view-copy-small.jpg

The Robinson Field upgrade will replace the grass field with artificial turf and also upgrade the lighting. It should be finished by the end of this year.

fieldrendering.jpg

Updates:

*** Real construction has begun on the Aquatic and Fitness Center Expansion... should be complete next year. They've fenced up the construction zones and begun land clearing, etc...

***Returfing of Robinson Field almost complete. They are in the process of laying out the fake stuff...

***Research I has come a long way. The main structure is pretty much complete on the outside, but there is still plenty of interior work to do. Steel is rising for the space Observatory which will connect to the Research building.

Archived