Downtown Pittsburgh Residential Report

tooluther

Downtown Market Survey

The Downtown Living Initative has released their first and second quarter market survey about the status of "Downtown Housing". The number look awesome, and should spur some more interest in the already booming market.

The Trib and Biz Times also had articles on the phenom:

"Downtown Attracts a Crowd"

"New Kind of Housing Boom"

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Finally, someone is noticing. On a side note, hopefully future elections will be won on family planning rather than family values. In the big picture, I think it's a sign of America's population stabilizing in the wake of the baby boomers and college level education increasingly more valuable to financial stability than households with multiple working-class incomes.

Reading those findings felt like a reprieve to me. It's been 8 years already for me to be faced with either splitting a 4 bedroom house with room-mates, apartments the size of a chicken roost, or moving back home to face the generation gap who thinks I should be getting engaged by now. I've been in the military so I'm still a few classes from finishing college, but I'm already keeping tabs on my credit score and eyeing some of those new condos, hoping for the best.

• 2 weeks later...

Not quite the same but definetly a plus for the Fifth/Forbes and Blvd. section of downtown which has been lagging recently, Point Park University (Dennis Miller's alma mater) will be housing more and more students downtown (the old broken window theory in reverse :)). Although they are obviously off the tax rolls the activity, creativity and exotic nature of large student populations are always good things for areas.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05251/567632.stm

• 1 month later...

^^I hope you are correct, even if they must be off for a little while I hope the city/county is wise enough to spin it off soon, but you might be right, they might add to the regions bottom line immediately.

Also another downtown development (hopefully this is the first step in bringing a Giant Eagle, Wal-Mart, Home Depot or Whole Foods downtown, S&T known for its overly "suburban" bank branches around the region opens its first "urban" branch in its history right downtown!

http://pittsburgh.bizjournals.com/pittsbur...tml?jst=b_ln_hl

Archived