Well-designed urban drive-thru bank teller?

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Check out the UrbanPlanet Information forum for help with photo posting.

In short,

1. Find a photo host (imageshack.us is one, but there are many others)

2. Upload your photos to that host.

3. Copy the url of the photo.

4. In your post to the site, surround the url with the IMG tags.. ie.

[img=http://www.yourphoto.com/yourphoto.jpg]

athens, ga.

i don't know what the banks are called...

one has a drive thru in it's parking deck. the other is on a corner... under the corner of the building there's a little window. you pull up through a gap in the on street parking, and a little curbcut of sidewalk under the building sort of. then you pull back out onto the other street at the corner.

I like to think that any drive thru isn't well designed for urban areas.  Drive thru's are for auto-oriented suburbs, not well designed urban areas where there is no need for them, and where people aren't so friggen lazy.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Part of attracting people to urban areas is catering to the general populations wants and needs. This means making urban areas at least somewhat auto freindly. If urban areas are to ever fully rebound in most places, they must be asble to attract average people, not only the "creative class."

Because they simply don't want to, I don't. I like cars, individual transportation. I can't stand having to walk to a bus stop, wait for a bus, usuall wait for a transfer anf then have to walk from the bus syop to my destination. Other option, hop in a car and go where I want to, anytime I want to.

Because they simply don't want to, I don't. I like cars, individual transportation. I can't stand having to walk to a bus stop, wait for a bus, usuall wait for a transfer anf then have to walk from the bus syop to my destination. Other option, hop in a car and go where I want to, anytime I want to.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well then you can't complain about gas prices (and I'm not saying that you were, dont get mad)

• 1 month later...

During my co-op years as an engineer in college, I interned at a company that designed and built ATMs at the time. ATMs started as walk up devices and later where put into situations where they could be used as drive up devices. Any atm that is out in the public has to be built pretty much as a small fortress because there may be upwards of a $250,000 inside if it is fully loaded in a busy location. So the design priorities fall into this order.

1. Protect the Money

2. Espense of designing and installing location.

3. Protect the customers (from crime)

4. Accessability from the vehicle. Difficult since vehicles range from Hummers to Miatas.

At one time the banks designed and built their own ATMs but the cost of doing so has made that prohibitive so there are several large firms that do it instead. Most notible are NCR and Diebold(Interbold). When a bank builds a branch, the architecture includes designing a drive thru ATM if it is required. It is more difficult than it would sound since it always involves pavement, space for the cars, usually a structure, devices to protect the ATM from collision, etc etc. Some banks do a better job than other because they will spend more money on the branch. It also depends upon the neighborhood and nearby competition.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I hate drive-up ATMs too. The bank I use on my block doesn't have one, fortunately. It has an indoor walk-up.

But where I work my bank's branch only has a drive-up ATM. I hate it b/c it's installed far too high! I have to get out of the car to reach the keypad. So like FromCityToRural, if I drive there I park in the lot and walk into the drive-thru lane. It's not bad, but it feels silly if I'm standing between cars waiting to use it!

I hate drive-up ATMs too. The bank I use on my block doesn't have one, fortunately. It has an indoor walk-up.

But where I work my bank's branch only has a drive-up ATM. I hate it b/c it's installed far too high! I have to get out of the car to reach the keypad. So like FromCityToRural, if I drive there I park in the lot and walk into the drive-thru lane. It's not bad, but it feels silly if I'm standing between cars waiting to use it!

What's with drive-up ATM's being so damn high now? Do that many people drive huge SUV's and trucks? The one at my bank I can barely reach from my little Saturn, not to mention there's no walk up ATM and it's in a city.

What's with drive-up ATM's being so damn high now? Do that many people drive huge SUV's and trucks? The one at my bank I can barely reach from my little Saturn, not to mention there's no walk up ATM and it's in a city.

They're trying to hit a happy medium between cars and trucks/SUVs, but they're not quite hitting the spot. For trucks it's too low and for cars it's too high. The one I use most often is quite odd, though, because it's just too far away from the vehicle. There's too much protection between the car and the machine, causing a huge gap that forces you to lean most of the way of of your car window to reach it.

These drive-ups are weird. I'd seen them every once in a great while in California, but never as ATM's...they had the air tube thingies where you'd send over your card, and you actually dealt with a person over intercom. It looked pretty awkward and they're getting phased out in Cali. You almost never, ever see them anymore, just walk-ups. So it was that I was surprised (more like appalled) to see that that's all they have down here.

On a side note, I just got a conversion van yesterday. It's even higher than the Bronco was...looks like more walking up to the drive-ups for me. Stupid things.

I WANT WALK UPS!!!! (gee, I hope banks monitor this board :lol: )

Archived