Rowe Hotel

GRDadof3

"Don't let Rebecca Smith-Hoffman and her Past Perfect nazis hear you say that. "

What is "Past Perfect?" (I did an internet search, and got antique shops as a result.)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Try past-perfect.net, they are consultants in researching and getting buildings historic status. They led the fight to stop Jack Buchanon from tearing down the present City Hall to build a hotel.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"GR has about 1.3 Million in the new seven county MSA. What are some comparable skylines to other cities in this range?"\

^Not any more... Our MSA consists of Wyoming and GR.. which counts for what I believe to be 800,000 people.

I believe that it was divided into two separate MSAs and then they were combined for some kind of an overall MSA with 1.3M. Before, in the 2000 servey the MSA was only Kent Ottawa and Muskegon which was 1.1 M or something like that. Does anyone know how this stuff actaully works?

All this talk seems a little off the subject of the Rowe, but....

As of 2004 the new GR MSA is: Grand Rapids-Wyoming, MI Metropolitan Statistical Area

Barry County, MI

Ionia County, MI

Kent County, MI

Newaygo County, MI

It used to be Kent, Ottawa, Muskegon, Allegan. Strange to cut these lakeshore counties, especailly Ottawa, considering Jension is a suburb or Grand Rapids.

I believe that it was divided into two separate MSAs and then they were combined for some kind of an overall MSA with 1.3M.  Before, in the 2000 servey the MSA was only Kent Ottawa and Muskegon which was 1.1 M or something like that.  Does anyone know how this stuff actaully works?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

In case you have absolutely NOTHING to do this weekend, this is how they calculate CSA/MSA's :P

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/Hal_lm_c...003_67117_7.pdf

I believe a county in the surrounding area of a city of more than 50,000 gets lumped in if 25% or more of its inhabitants commute to the central city.....

All this talk seems a little off the subject of the Rowe, but....

As of 2004 the new GR MSA is: Grand Rapids-Wyoming, MI Metropolitan Statistical Area

Barry County, MI

Ionia County, MI

Kent County, MI

Newaygo County, MI

It used to be Kent, Ottawa, Muskegon, Allegan.  Strange to cut these lakeshore counties, especailly Ottawa, considering Jension is a suburb or Grand Rapids.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Jenis*** probably doesnt mind being cut from the GR metro, seems they wish more and more independance daily

Jenison isn't a city.  It's one of those "Comstock Park" type of places, that aren't organized governments, just municipalities with post offices and schoold districts.  If i'm not mistaken.  There are alot of those in this area

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Jenison is just a crossroads near Chicago Drive and Meijer. The government out there is Georgetown Township, which handles utilities, fire, etc.. No "downtown" Jenison even :P

Jenison is just a crossroads near Chicago Drive and Meijer.  The government out there is Georgetown Township, which handles utilities, fire, etc..  No "downtown" Jenison even  :P

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I believe Jenison is what is known as a "census designated place". The "center" (the dot on the map) is the intersection at Baldwin/Cottonwood. "Downtown" must be that lovely strip mall by Meijers :sick::P

I believe that it was divided into two separate MSAs and then they were combined for some kind of an overall MSA with 1.3M.  Before, in the 2000 servey the MSA was only Kent Ottawa and Muskegon which was 1.1 M or something like that.  Does anyone know how this stuff actaully works?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Your understanding of the current MSA or "Metropolitan Statistical Area" is correct. However, what was formerly the MSA figure is now the CMSA of "Combined Metropolitan Statistical Area" which is the new seven county, 1.3 million number. It's another example of bureacratic stupidity, but hey, now with CMSA, we go from four counties and 1.1 million to seven counties and 1.3 million. WHATEVER, just use CMSA until they switch up again. :wacko:

But its a residential suburb of GR.. why create a downtown when theres one to continue to build just a stone throw away?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

.....because a local "downtown" serves the needs of a defined neighborhood or smaller community. This is one of the basic tenets of traditional neighborhoods and new urbanism

Relying on one central downtown to serve a huge metropolitan area defeats the mixed-use neighborhood idea. It's no better than the homogeneous housing tracts and subdivisions built in the 1950s - 1990s that require residents to drive miles to a mall or strip shopping area even to purchase a pack of gum.

Granted, each of these does not need to have huge office buildings, massive parking structures and major arts venues -- that role can still be filled by a regional downtown -- but the value of a CBD in each of the outlying areas can't be overlooked.

And, to borrow from another thread...Wyoming, (IMHO) suffers both from the lack of a central "heart" and the lack of defined edges. I hope the whole WyMan thing is a self-deprecating joke that Wyoming is playing on itself. If not, and someone intended it as a serious marketing effort, it's pretty sad.

• 1 month later...

I believe Jenison is what is known as a "census designated place". The "center" (the dot on the map) is the intersection at Baldwin/Cottonwood. "Downtown" must be that lovely strip mall by Meijers :sick::P

Just one correction, Jenison did have a 'downtown' area at one point in time even though it has never technically been a city. It was in the area bordered by Chicago Dr, Main St., Baldwin, and the County line. The County line and construction of I-196 along with suburban sprawl after the war stunted the potential growth and expansion. This along with a of lack of a centralized, incorporated, communal government has let the area develop into nothing but strip malls, box stores, and auto repair shops.

I'm currently doing research into the history of the area but all there really is on the subject in book form is outdated by 30 years. In the grand scheme of things I hope to expand this project to include not only the areas past and present state but the prospects of its future as well with a few of my ideas mixed in along the way. I hope to see the day when Jenison can be considered a true and legit small town and important player in the Grand Rapids area.

Just one correction, Jenison did have a 'downtown' area at one point in time even though it has never technically been a city. It was in the area bordered by Chicago Dr, Main St., Baldwin, and the County line. The County line and construction of I-196 along with suburban sprawl after the war stunted the potential growth and expansion. This along with a of lack of a centralized, incorporated, communal government has let the area develop into nothing but strip malls, box stores, and auto repair shops.

I'm currently doing research into the history of the area but all there really is on the subject in book form is outdated by 30 years. In the grand scheme of things I hope to expand this project to include not only the areas past and present state but the prospects of its future as well with a few of my ideas mixed in along the way. I hope to see the day when Jenison can be considered a true and legit small town and important player in the Grand Rapids area.

Welcome j3shafer! Isn't there a book called "The River's Bend" or "Bend in the River" that covers the history of Grandville and Jenison? Or is that the one you said is outdated. I have only heard about it, and not actually read it.

How did we end up talking about Jenison under the Rowe Hotel thread? Here is that book:

Bend in the River: The Story of Grandville and Jenison, Michigan, 1832-1972. Grand Rapids, MI: W.B. Eerdmans Pub. Co., 1975.

Availalble at the Grandville City Hall

I wouldn't say that tall buildings build the "spirit" 'of a community, but moreso the ego (and maybe pride for some) of a community. Architects and developers don't just build "up" just because of space constraints, but to inspire and show off, basically, IMO. That's why whenever you see advertisements or citypages for cities, they always show a picture of the skyline. 6 of one, 1/2 dozen of another?

Archived