Charlotte's Architecture

UrbanCharlotte

Which new project has the nicest design and will have the biggest affect on the skyline?  

93 members have voted

1. 1. Which new project has the nicest design and will have the biggest affect on the skyline?

• The Vue
    • Avenue
    • Ritz Carlton
    • Epicenter
    • Trademark
    • The Park
    • Courtside
    • Wachovia Project (Unknown height)
    • 230 South Tryon
    • Other (Indicate in reply)

• 8 months later...

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Which one of these projects do you think has the nicest design and will make the biggest impact on the skyline? I think the Vue will. If Wachovia goes higher than expected than that would have the biggest impact. Anyone seeing this happening?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

no, I don't see it happening. Wachovia is more concerned with the bottom line than having the tallest building. But, then again, anything can happen.

The Vue will win this one hands down.

For overall effect on the city, I think it will be the Wachovia project. No renderings have been released yet, so I don't think anyone really knows how it will look visually. I don't think anyone really understands the impact that the Wachovia project will have long-term.

With it we're looking at the creation of a second Square.

I definitely think 4 Wach takes the cake here. True, we haven't seen designs yet, but I think what we will see will be something Wachovia has never done, both architecturally and in terms of scale. So I think it will have the biggest impact. It will move the skyline south and fill in a gap between uptown and southend.

I'm not sure how to answer this because you are asking 2 different questions - right now, I'd have to say the Vue will have the biggest effect on the skyline simply because of its height.  However I think Trade Mark has the nicest design.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

ditto.

although trademark will also have a major impact on the skyline, as it will help the east-west depth almost as much as the vue... but vue's height, imposing structure and spires, and distance from the current building cluster make it trump all the others on impact of design.

epicentre will help the skyline from angles like in first ward, where currently some views really make it look like charlotte's skyline consists of only bofacorp center and hearst tower (and odell). i want to like epicenter's design, and it is certainly nice... but i just cannot get beyond the strange section toward the bottom between the retail and residential parts of the building... it just makes it look weak and ready to topple, which is a disconcerting feeling when looking at a scraper.

I voted for EpiCenter b/c I've been waiting for a long time for the "sag" in the middle of the North-South skyline to be filled in. Also, I used to live on the east side so this would be my perspective (probably won't even be able to see the Vue from East Charlotte.)

EpiCenter will be a monster if it is actually 53 stories!

I'm not sure how to answer this because you are asking 2 different questions - right now, I'd have to say the Vue will have the biggest effect on the skyline simply because of its height.  However I think Trade Mark has the nicest design.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I am with you on that one SC. I love the Trademark Design, but have to agree that the VUE will have the biggest impact overall on our skyline (outside of maybe the Epicenter)

A2

to beat a dead horse...the vue will certainly impact the skyline the most. it isn't quite my favorite in terms of design. i tend to lean more towards the furman projects. still, i wish the envelope would be pushed further in charlotte. i can't wait to see the wachovia deigns, as well as the finished grand/epicentre.

i was driving back into downtown on wilkinson boulevard, and was noticing that impressive skyline when you are around west blvd/wilkinson.... dang, the skyline from this angle will really change dramatically over the next three years.

i did a very crappy job of doing this,but here is a rough job of showing what Vue, Trademark, Epicenter and Wachovia will do for the skyline from the southwest. (this one is from bryant park... the wilkinson view might actually have wachovia filling more of the gap between 1 wach and westin.)

34130106-M.jpg

I think Trademark right now gets best design but I also like the Vue. Depending on what Wachovia does it could certainly take that category as I always think office towers seem to look nicer than residential towers. I'm not sure whether the Vue or Epicenter will impact the skyline more. Imagine walking down College Street after Epicenter's one and maybe two towers are complete. It will completely change the feel of college.

One thing I have wondered about with both the Vue and Epicenter is how necessary is it to have balconies that high. If I lived more than 30 or 40 floors above the ground I don't believe I would ever use my balcony and would rather have floor to ceiling windows with no balcony obstructing my view. I think both towers would also look nicer from an outsider

I think Trademark right now gets best design but I also like the Vue.  Depending on what Wachovia does it could certainly take that category as I always think office towers seem to look nicer than residential towers.  I'm not sure whether the Vue or Epicenter will impact the skyline more.  Imagine walking down College Street after Epicenter's one and maybe two towers are complete.  It will completely change the feel of college. 

One thing I have wondered about with both the Vue and Epicenter is how necessary is it to have balconies that high.  If I lived more than 30 or 40 floors above the ground I don't believe I would ever use my balcony and would rather have floor to ceiling windows with no balcony obstructing my view.  I think both towers would also look nicer from an outsider

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yes, One Charlotte needs to be added to the poll but might as well just wait until trump announces his tower(or 2) also, 300 south tryon should be added i think thats around 32 stories at tryon and third, this is a very exciting time for charlotte it really is amazing that we can have a poll on which new tower will impact or skyline the most as most cities can only hope that their one new tower will look good! we get a whole list!!

• 2 weeks later...

That is so true I'm from Greenville SC and we cant seem to get one project off the ground much less all of the ones Charlotte has going. I'm just glad theres a city like Charlotte so close that when I get the erge to go to a large city its only a little over an hour ride.

That is so true I'm from Greenville SC and we cant seem to get one project off the ground much less all of the ones Charlotte has going. I'm just glad theres a city like Charlotte so close that when I get the erge to go to a large city its only a little over an hour ride.

Archived