Orangeburg photo tour pt. 1

krazeeboi

I came home this past Sunday afternoon, and since it was bright and sunny out, I decided to venture around town and take a few shots before I went to see the relatives. I promised it, and here it is. I'm not a stellar photographer by any means, so take the photos for what they're worth. I also had to resize them, so the resolution isn't that great, but you can get a feel for what I was trying to capture. :thumbsup:

Some history about Orangeburg: The City of Orangeburg was founded by an Indian trader named George Sterling in 1704. The town was named in honor of William IV, Prince of Orange the husband of Princess Anne daughter of George II of England. The City of Orangeburg was incorporated in 1883. It encompasses approximately 6.38 square miles and has a population of 12,765 citizens, according to the 2000 census.

Shall we begin?

At the intersection of Russell (the city's main street) and Doyle, looking west

intersection.jpg

Some shops along Russell (with my car in the foreground with my proud Palmetto and crescent moon decal)

shops.jpg

Looking west on Russell

westRussell4.jpg

A mural on the side of a building

muralfaroff.jpg

A closer look

mural.jpg

westRussell.jpg

Shots of the beautiful town square

townsquare.jpg

Closer look at the monument; I think it's dedicated to all fallen soldiers in the region

monument.jpg

An obelisk memorial (to law enforcement officers, I think)

obelisk.jpg

Some historic cannons. I think they have Civil War significance

cannons.jpg

A closer look at the bricks, noting individuals/groups that contributed to the streetscaping

bricks.jpg

I want to say that this is the old courthouse, but I'm not sure

building.jpg

building2.jpg

First Baptist Church sign

fbcsign.jpg

The church building itself (with a magnificent old tree in the foreground)

firstbaptist.jpg

City hall and Stevenson Municipal Auditorium

cityhall.jpg

Looking north on Middleton

northMiddleton.jpg

Looking east on Saint John Street (old 1920's or so hotel in background)

eastSaintJohn.jpg

Looking east on Russell

eastRussell2.jpg

eastRussell.jpg

Historic Trinity United Methodist Church

trinityumc2.jpg

trinityumc.jpg

Historic Tingley Hall on the campus of Claflin University

tingley.jpg

Attached is a historic marker located in the town square; I wanted to keep it its original size so that the writing on it could be read.

Orangeburg loves Palmetto trees; can't you tell? :P

Look out for part II soon, which will include some photos of Edisto Memorial Gardens! :thumbsup:

post-1529-1125391114_thumb.jpg

post-1529-1125391114_thumb.jpg

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice. I have been to Orangeburg once, but I was young, and I don't recall being downtown. It looks great though... thanks for sharing these photos! I didn't realize how nice looking it was. The stereo type is that it is not what you see here. That is unfortunate.

I'm not exactly sure why it seems as though Orangeburg gets a bad rep statewide...it could be because of the crime situation here that seems to be a little higher than in other cities of similar size. Other than that, I haven't really felt unsafe in Orangeburg. As with any other place, you just have to know which areas to avoid at certain times.

Thanks for the compliments you guys. Since it doesn't seem as though I'll be going anywhere this weekend, I guess I can get started on part II. ;)

No vicupstate, this is the heart of the city, Russell Street; that's the setting of most of the pictures. The other thoroughfares don't look any different than most other cities, as you've stated, but I would say that "center city" Orangeburg looks better than the average 30,000-resident urban area, at least based on aesthetics.

• 2 weeks later...

thanks for sharing kraz!!  it looked a bit deserted to me though.  you mentioned it was a city with 30K people, where are they all?  were the shots just taken in an off time, or did you intentionally get shots without people and cars?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Two words: Sunday afternoon :thumbsup:

Archived