New 17-story for Gulch

it's just dave

In taking a break from all the bad news coming from the Gulf Coast and in our neighboring southern states, there is some development news for our area.

The Crosland Company of Charlotte bought the Gulch founding company, Armistead-Barkely, back in May. They just announced their first major urban project for the area.

A zoning variance has been requested for a 259,000 sq. ft., 17-story tower with three floors of office space, ground level retail, and for sale residential units. Crosland said they have retail tenants but made no announcement of leases.

The building will rise at the corner of 12th and Division, across from the 18-story ICON which is also awaiting a zoning decision.

Both buildings are slated to get underway in January and set for completion in 2007.

Crosland is involved in developing Providence Marketplace in Mt. Juliet, the 830,000 sq ft retail center underway. Recent tenant annoucements there include Belk, J.C. Penney, and Dick's Sporting Goods, among many others.

The Gulch seems to be moving right along now.

The article is in the Tuesday, 8/30 Tennessean, Business section.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I also hear the same developer wants the lot where the xxx bookstore was across the street. Can we say three towers? That would be nice!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's the "Madam X" bookstore, right? I wouldn't care if they ripped that thing down and turned it into a park or something. :lol:

A tower would be nice, though. :thumbsup:

Right, come live downtown.  Does anyone know what happened to Mr. Barkley's wife?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

"Daddy Yo"

What is your problem?? Why all the negativity? And I am sure most of the posters here do know the tragedy that befell Mrs. Barkley. Regardless it is very tasteless to refer to the incident in such a flippant manner. I think all will stipulate that one must be on guard when d'town but I would venture that there are many middle class

Sounds like a wonderful project! The Gulch is really changing quickly right before our eyes. It's starting to sound like it will become a mini-West End Vancouver or something...although that is probably stretching it a little.

Nashville_bound, it would probably be best to just ignore DaddyYo. He simply hates all things "liberal" with an utterly blind passion. Urbanity generally promotes more liberal views...so...you figure it out.

Absolutely.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

"BNA" and "designspace"

Good advice, normally I try to stay above the fray but his last comment was beyond the pale.

As for liberal vs. conservative...well I am probably to the right of most but I respect other opinions and am more than willing to debate in a calm logical manner. Heck...that is the fun of sites like Urban Planet.

"BNA" and "designspace"

Good advice, normally I try to stay above the fray but his last comment was beyond the pale.

As for liberal vs. conservative...well I am probably to the right of most but I respect other opinions and am more than willing to debate in a calm logical manner. Heck...that is the fun of sites like Urban Planet.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey, don't get me wrong, discussing urban issues shouldn't ever be a "liberal vs. conservative" thing. I don't care what your personal politics are at all. I'm just telling you how I think DaddYo looks at this stuff.

Also, I have had a hard time simply ignoring DaddyYo as well, so i'm not trying to ridicule you at all but rather trying to keep you from going down the path i've gone down before. lol

"BNA" and "designspace"

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey, don't get me wrong, discussing urban issues shouldn't ever be a "liberal vs. conservative" thing. I don't care what your personal politics are at all. I'm just telling you how I think DaddYo looks at this stuff.

Also, I have had a hard time simply ignoring DaddyYo as well, so i'm not trying to ridicule you at all but rather trying to keep you from going down the path i've gone down before. lol

Hey, don't get me wrong, discussing urban issues shouldn't ever be a "liberal vs. conservative" thing.  I don't care what your personal politics are at all.  I'm just telling you how I think DaddYo looks at this stuff. 

Also, I have had a hard time simply ignoring DaddyYo as well, so i'm not trying to ridicule you at all but rather trying to keep you from going down the path i've gone down before.  lol

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I took it in that spirit, no offence taken. (I had read your previous exchange with "DaddyYo" in another thread)

I only mentioned my philosophical slant because some posts by members claiming to be conservative offend me as much as anyone.

-Thanks

Her's some more interesting information on this project and the development slated to get started in the Gulch and downtown's Riverfront Apartments:

Crosland brings welcome addition to Gulch

By William Williams, [email protected]

September 07, 2005

Steve Armistead and Bill Barkley may be leaving The Gulch physically, but they will still remain.

Sort of.

The two developers

Archived