Minneapolis - a growing city

nickmgray

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good pictures.

About 2 years ago during a state tournament when we were staying in a holiday inn downtown, we went in to the bottom of almost every building trying to find a observatory. The only one was in the foshay tower(and it was closed)... but thats worthless because its short compared to the buildings surrounding it on every side. Have they opened a public place on top of any of the big 3 or anywhere higher that the foshay? I would really like to see minny from the top.

Thanks for the Minneapolis Pics... There are times I really miss the Twin Cities enormously, despite how much I like Providence.

Thanks for the photo with the musical notes on the wall. I had wanted to photograph that so many times, and I never got around to it when I lived in MN.

Despite having an excellent skyline, it's actually quite difficult to find excellent vantage points within the city itself to photograph the tall buildings for a variety of reasons. I always found Minneapolis hard to shoot. You did a great job.

- Garris

Providence, RI

(Previously 4 years in Rochester, MN)

To answer the question about the public obervation deck, no there's no place higher than the Foshay Tower. Only exception to this being the Marquette Hotel's Sunday brunch which is held on the top floor of the IDS tower (tallest building in town). It costs like $20, but I heard the view is great.

Highest I've gotten in Minneapolis was when I interned for merrill lynch. The y are on the 42nd floor of the 225 South Sixth Street building (2nd tallest).

The population of the city fell from 521,000 to 370,000 from 1950-1980 and then stabilized around there through the 80s and grew again to 382,000 by 2000.

While the city is growing only modestly, the metro area has increased from 1.4 million in 1960 to 3 million today.

Population of the city is slowly growning with the condo craze that started 4 years ago. Right now there's nearly 50 condo projects in the works or in planning that would create mroe that 10,000 new residences in the next 5 years. Downtown population just passed 30,000. If all those condo's get filled we're probably going to see a downtown population of 45,000.

Great shots... I especially like the ones of the neglected (photography wise) Northeast side of the river, which has some great retail and street level architecture. Kudos on getting that stairway with the church. That's a dramatic view that I can't understand why it isn't one of the most photographed places in the city...

- Garris

What are the two buildings called with the twirling-step-style tops... one is a little bigger than the other but they look the same. Very cool looking

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The Fifth Street Towers. Office buildings built by Opus Corp. More pics of them are here: http://www.emporis.com/en/il/pc/?id=122760&aid=8

Thanks nickmgray for the photos! The lighting in them is terrific and it's nice to see street-level views rather than the usual skyline views. You should try to get some good ones of the new dramatic cantilevers in town: The Guthrie Theater and the new Pelli-designed library.

Archived