The Colt Building

Cotuit

• 1 year later...

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just drove by the Colt Building about an hour ago, the south side of the building along the ground level is starting to look nice. I wonder when the heck they're going to do the upper part of the building, those windows look horrible....

• 4 months later...

I think the Advocate is tame, even (dare I say) fair in this article. This is the most interesting downtown project of the last 15 years (IMO), and it may take time to get right. Personally I can't wait, as a complex of this scale will be southern front in the battle to rebuild downtown.

The Advocate's criticism of downtown development seems to hang on one question: "If you build it, will they come?" That has yet to be seen, and only once the existing spaces are leased-up by some brave urban pioneers will we see mainstream demand. Who knows, maybe a Colt delay is a blessing in disguise, delaying so much supply coming on-stream at once.

I stopped reading at:

"At the complex where workers for Samuel and Elizabeth Colt churned out the guns that let 19th-century Americans more efficiently kill Indians, Mexicans, and each other..."

This is how you report news? I just cannot take the Advocate seriously in any way.

It's bad reporting because it's selective (not to mention foolish and sophomoric). The remark does not provide context. It creates a false context which leads the reader to a point of view that misleads.

Indians were probably the least effected by the Colt Armory. But the writer chooses to put them first to convey a polictical point of view. Colt rifles killed many times as many whites as Indians. They were also instrumental in bringing lawfuness, peace and prosperity to the American west.

In truth, more Buffaloes than humans were killed but the output of the armory.

But why let that in the way of insulting the evil United States of America.

There amy be some truth in that statement, but that's not why that statement was written.

I agree that it is out of context, and I'm sure we have many differing political views coming from different backgrounds. When you are from an oppressed segment of the population you tend to view the world differently than the majority population, which is why the statement did not offend me. I however do not see the point in including it in this report, as it is irrelevant to the current development at Colt, and as you said does not provide context. This is not really a forum, at least not this thread, for political debate anyway. But....

If you are saying that the European treatment of Native Americans, Africans, and Mexicans has been historically acceptable in this country (which I am sure you are not) then I would have to vehemently disagree. Anyone who thinks that this country can do no wrong needs only to look back to the early 60's to see that atrocities based on race were still sanctioned by the US Government well into the the second half of the 20th century. My father grew up in segregated Richmond, VA so I consider myself to be the first truly free man in my family, without government mandated discrimination. Just some food for thought, not really saying that it's relevant, I just went on a rant.

^^And I totally agree. It did not add anything to the report and was just a cheap shot at the forefathers of the country to advance a political belief. Whether you agree, disagree, or are offended the statement it had no place in that particular report.

As for changing the way history is taught in this country and around the world, that's a battle for another day.

Reasonable people understand that there is a middle ground between "this country can do no wrong" (which no one said or even implied - that's a straw man) and American is a terrible couuntry responsible for most of the world's ills (which is the usual Advocate position).

I agree it was just a cheap shot. As such, typical of the Advocate.

I believe most would agree that the Advocate interweaves its liberal message into every article they print, but in this country it is their right. They do not purport to be a journalistic periodical, but rather an opinion-driven lifestyle publication. And the sad fact is that their staff writer is the only "journalist" poking around Coltsville to find out what progress has been made, if any.

We are all adults (for the most part at least), and we should be able to pass over a sentence we disagree with in pursuit of some education on a subject we care about. That said...does anyone have a comment on the project itself?

The Advocate has poor journalistic standards. It cast doubt on everything they print. If you enjoy relentless negativism and gratuitous cheap shots, then this is the paper for you.

As for the Colt project, it is moving forward slowly. But it is definitely moving.

The Colt Project is a great project. From what I'm hearing the prices should be considerably lower than the projects taking place downtown. I think this area will gentrify pretty rapidly once Coltsville and the new development on the site of Dutch Point really start to take shape.

I dislike how that end of downtown has been ruined by "urban renewal" of the 60s and 70s. The street gris was removed in order to build Percival Tower and Charter Oak apartments and the Candycane Building and CL&P eat up acres of land with surface lots. This fringe of downtown Hartford looks like an office park. There is no streetscape. Hopefully, Coltsville will begin to reverse the trend and it can work its way back toward downtown. Losing the Conlan Whitehead Highway and bringing back the Park River down to the Connecticut River in this area would be the link we absolutely need.

On a postive note, the bridge over the CW Highway is completed and looks good! The lit pillars on each end of the bridge look great.

• 1 month later...

It's still alive. Truthfully, I think they are moving at the right pace as this area will not really be able to take off until after Front Street, and the new Dutch Point community are finished to better incorporate the area with downtown and increase property values in that area. Here is the website for all who may be interested.

Colt Gateway

I saw today that the outside of the South Armory (the large currently occupied building) is now covered in scaffolding. Looks like this is the next building to get restored. Given the number of windows in this building, once they have been replaced, it will make a huge difference visually.

• 2 weeks later...

It is about time! As my favorite project in Hartford, this cannot be finished soon enough. Any update on whether or not they will be offering condos at the site?

Looks like it will be apartments:

"Altogether, the buildings will have 238 residential units, which will run from about $1,000 a month for a 600-square-foot apartment to $2,400 for a spacious 1,500 square-footer."

http://www.hartfordadvocate.com/gbase/News...?oid=oid:140162

Also - the National Park Service is supposed to make an announcement in April about whether they'll have a park there.

Is the National Park Service really considering making the site a park...if so wouldn't it be the only National Park in the Northeast besides Acadia? If the National Park Service doesn't make a park there, will the state turn it into a state park?

Archived