Winston-Salem Northern Beltway

cityboi

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Beltlines don't necessarily cause sprawl. Beltlines may accelerate the sprawling of development, but sprawl is a phenomenon that has several contributing factors. If DoT or the local communities took a stronger leadership position in the design and planning of landuse immediately adjacent to interchanges, a beltline project could offer folks the benefits of faster commutes and a less congested driving experience. How many of you reading this thread have seen the areas around interchanges transform from conveinent on/off ramps to a congested hassle in a short amount of time?

Beltlines don't necessarily cause sprawl. Beltlines may accelerate the sprawling of development, but sprawl is a phenomenon that has several contributing factors. If DoT or the local communities took a stronger leadership position in the design and planning of landuse immediately adjacent to interchanges, a beltline project could offer folks the benefits of faster commutes and a less congested driving experience. How many of you reading this thread have seen the areas around interchanges transform from conveinent on/off ramps to a congested hassle in a short amount of time?

Well said but only in Maryland you would see something similar like this

• 10 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Property owner tangles with DOT over use of land:

W-S Journal Article

I'm not a real fan of the beltway personally. I'd rather see the money in upgrading our current infrastructure (i.e. US 52) instead of another sprawl road that will eat up the countryside. This road has been proposed since the late 60's and we have yet to see one part of it under construction until at least 2015. I realize it would take years of roadwork to do and the headaches it would cause, but it would prevent us from turning into the likes of Raleigh or Charlotte.

• 5 months later...

The U.S. Department of Transportation announced today that it has approved plans to build the Northern Beltway in Forsyth County. The approval marks the project's final environmental review and allows the state to begin purchasing right-of-way and planning the construction.

http://www.journalnow.com/servlet/Satellit...d=1173354627250

• 5 months later...

Rally for the Northern Beltway!

Excerpt from CofC newsletter:

"NC Department Of Transportation is holding hearings for the Eastern Section of the Northern Beltway. We need your help to encourage DOT to move ahead as quickly as possible for all 3 projects: U-2579A, U-2579, and R-2247. To see project maps and get more information go to www.ncdot.org/projects/wsnb. The Public Hearing is August 14 at 7:00 p.m. at East Forsyth High School in Kernersville. Open houses will be there on August 12 from 3:00 - 7:00 p.m. and August 14 from 4:00 - 6:30 p.m. You can register to speak at the open houses or by calling 1-866-223-0862. Written comments should be sent by September 14 to Drew Joyner, Human Environment Unit, NC Department of Transportation, 1583 Mail Service Center, Raleigh, NC 27699-1583."

I would encourage any of you who have questions, concerns, or just want to know the status of the beltway to attend this meeting. It now appears that the projected cost of the beltway will be around $1.08 billion. :shok: Imagine the improvements we could make to our bus system and the potential jumpstart we'd get on the streetcar system if these funds were diverted to mass transit...

The following link should give us an idea of what to expect from the beltway:

http://www.ncdot.org/_includes/download/ex...project_map.pdf

The terminus at Stratford Road appears to be nothing more than a signalized intersection. :huh:

The I-40/274 interchange (Clemmons): This will be your standard cloverleaf, with the exception of a flyover ramp from I-40 eastbound to I-274 northbound (inner). Think I-95/40 interchange in Johnston County.

The 421/I-274 interchange (Lewisville): A fairly complex maze of roads that resembles the I-85/485 interchange in western Mecklenburg county. There will be lots of land moved to create this waste of space...

The 52/I-274/74 interchange (Stanleyville): This looks very Atlanta-esque with ramps going over ramps and C&D lanes due to interchanges being close together. Yet, this is still a glorified cloverleaf with one flyover.

The Business 40/I-74 interchange (Kernersville): Same as I-40 interchange in Clemmons (cloverleaf with flyover), except this has one C&D lane.

The I-74/40 interchange (Kernersville): This interchange has two, maybe three, flyovers: one from I-40 westbound to I-74 southbound and one from I-40 eastbound to I-74 northbound. As for the third, I'm not sure if it goes over or under I-40. As posted on here before, the Kernersville Road interchange will get converted to a SPUI (single point urban interchange).

The 311/I-74 interchange (Kernersville/W-S): This was designed similar to the G'boro Urban Loop interchange near the airport or the one near Grandover.

From the looks of it, the beltway will be six lanes throughout its course.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www2.journalnow.com/content/2008/au...sed-about-road/

eastern.jpg

- DOT will begin acquiring right of way for the eastern section of the beltway within a few months.

- The eastern section of the project will affect 452 houses, 18 businesses, one church and one farm.

- The DOT will spend $445.2 million on the eastern section.

- Construction is scheduled to begin in 2013 and is expected to be completed within three to four years.

Can we accurately assume that this project will have inflated to $500,000,000 by the time construction rolls around?

I think this is horrible. More roads make more congestion. This beltway will impede the impetus for centralized transit and promote inefficient suburban development.

I'd rather see tax monies used to upgrade the flow of Bus 40 and Hwy 52 in the core of Winston-Salem. Make it easier and cheaper to live near work.

Archived