Virginia Beach Arts and Entertainment

vdogg

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cool! How do you like this so far vdogg?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's gonna take some work but I think having this will allow us to discuss a lot more of the Urban issues affecting both cities. I have a lot of ideas for new threads and you guys

are more then welcome to add your own. Also, everything doesn't have to be so condensed. If you see a particular article that your interested in you can go ahead and post a thread for it and not have to worry about me merging it to save space.

Naming Rights

VB's finally sold the naming rights to the PAC.  Nice to see it's local and not a corporate name.  So the Sandlers are only known for Cornerstone?  What about Sandler Foods?  What about the arcade at 31st St that was sold to the city to make way for the Hilton?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I wonder what kind of venue they will have? I'm not a artsy fartsy person but my wife is.

I wonder what kind of venue they will have? I'm not a artsy fartsy person but my wife is.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The renderings for it look awesome. I'm not an artsy person either but I may have to take a visit just to see the place when it's done.

I wonder if they plan on having some kind of fountain or park around there! That would be cool! :thumbsup:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I believe there'll be a plaza in front. On the side of the property will be a 3-story building with offices on the top 2 and stores and cafes on the bottom. I believe the PAC will face the back of Ruth's Chris while the office/retail building will face, across the plaza, the Westin and will be across the street from the Beacon Building.

I believe there'll be a plaza in front.  On the side of the property will be a 3-story building with offices on the top 2 and stores and cafes on the bottom.  I believe the PAC will face the back of Ruth's Chris while the office/retail building will face, across the plaza, the Westin and will be across the street from the Beacon Building.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Will the plaza have a fountain. Something about fountains in urban environments look cool. They make great places to take pics at! I love water and water movement. I'm planning on getting on of those fountain things for relaxation sometime in the future. :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

The performing arts center is dumb.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:huh: I wouldn't call it dumb at all. How many artistic venues do you see in the bottom of tall buildings? 99% of the time these are standalone structures that are meant to be innovative in design. Is the basis of your objection that the PAC is a dumb idea period or are you objecting on tax purposes? The performing arts center, just like everything else in TC, gets it's money from the tif. This is tax generated directly by the businesses in that district. Unless you live in that district this does not affect your tax rate. I think the increased business that will be drawn to TC overall due to the PAC justifies that expense at any rate.

it would be an innovative idea though.... on multiple levels...could come up with some pretty innovative  amenities for residents if it was condos built on top. Burt has suggested this idea in the past.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Innovative to be sure but i'm just not entirely sure it would work. I always imagine that artists and such want their own venue to work with instead of sharing it with other entities, I could be wrong though. I'm sure there is an example of this somewhere in New York or Chicago, but it is definately not a common thing.

well you could have separate entrances etc...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

But it defeats the purpose of it being an artistic venue. Imagine condos on top the Chrysler Museum or Harrison Opera House or the Smithsonian Castle or the Chinese Theater. Yes, there are plenty of PAC and theaters that are incorporated in other structures, but they lose their idendity. The Kodak Theater where they hold the Oscars is at the end of a corridor of stores within the Hollywood & Highland mixed-use complex. The theater gets lost as part of the whole. For a smaller region, these venues should have architectural signifance promoting public art. They should be drawfed as part of a larger building.

Innovatively designed performing arts centers could look as if they are stand-alone structures while topped with towers. I think it's an excellent idea and I wish VAPAF would look into it for Richmond. Why not support the arts with a combination of tax and private money? On the other hand, as vdogg points out, such dual purpose buildings are not the norm even in New York. In Virginia and elsewhere, there may be fire regulations that would prohibit this kind of construction.

just a suggestion...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually, I may be warming up to your suggestion. Last night I was running on 2 hours of sleep in 40 hours, so I wasn't able to imagine your conception. If the tower is on the back half of the theater with the front half jutting out, a balance between artistic value of the venue and utility of the parcel can be found.

I think the point is the high cost to the taxpayers for a luxury item that only a few will most likely use. As more and more of these things are dreamed up to support a hand full of businesses The theater that was in the Pavillion from what I understand wasn't very fancy, and wasn't highly used. Norfolk has the HOH, not really sure that Virginia Beach needs a perf arts center.

But hey, the Virginia Beach taxpayers can pay for it along with the cool looking convention center. Of course, the idea behind the convention center is to drum up business for a number wealthy oceanfront business owners. A bigger joke is the BRT ordeal.

I think the point is the high cost to the taxpayers for a luxury item that only a few will most likely use. As more and more of these things are dreamed up to support a hand full of businesses  The theater that was in the Pavillion from what I understand wasn't very fancy, and wasn't highly used. Norfolk has the HOH, not really sure that Virginia Beach needs a perf arts center.

But hey, the Virginia Beach taxpayers can pay for it along with the cool looking convention center. Of course, the idea behind the convention center is to drum up business for a number wealthy oceanfront business owners. A bigger joke is the BRT ordeal.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The theater at the Pav was highly utilized. Attendence was a different issue. HOH is not meant for the acts that used the Pav theater. Chrysler Hall (2000 capacity) and the theater at Regent (800 capacity) host these types of acts. However, Chrysler Hall is too big and expensive for these acts and the one at Regent already has a solid booking. There is no where else for these groups to go. Being in higher traffic area in a much more visible location (how many people really knew of the Pav theater?) will most likely increase attendence.

As for the new convention center, VB's largest industry is tourism. It will do everything to increase tourism and improve the clientele and hotel quality in the city.

What about rec centers? Should VB have and pay for those? And what about VB paying for garages and infrastructure at TC, Lynnhaven Mall, and the 31st St Hilton?

Archived