Virginia Beach Arts and Entertainment

vdogg

Hoobo, Norfolk also has the Wells (a real beauty), the Roper (formerly Loew's), Norva (converted to club use) and the Granby, now the Premier. Chrysler seats about 2500, and did quite well, grossing about a million a week with PHANTOM OF THE OPERA which brought in a lot of out-of-towners during its 6 or 7 week run. The Harrison used to be called the Center in my youth and was in a building combining it and another bigger hall backing up to the Center stagehouse.

The PAC in Va. Beach will do just fine. The City is lucky to get it.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hoobo, Norfolk also has the Wells (a real beauty), the Roper (formerly Loew's), Norva (converted to club use) and the Granby, now the Premier.  Chrysler seats about 2500, and did quite well, grossing about a million a week with PHANTOM OF THE OPERA which brought in a lot of out-of-towners during its 6 or 7 week run.  The Harrison used to be called the Center in my youth and was in a building combining it and another bigger hall backing up to the Center stagehouse.

The PAC in Va. Beach will do just fine.  The City is lucky to get it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I just checked the websites. I forgot that the Virginia Stage Company is based at Wells. Also, Wells and the HOH both seat over 1600. BTW, everyone, the name Virginia Opera is correct since they perform at the Landmark in Richmond and in NoVa, as well.

Burt, I think your point just supports mine more. There were too many shows at the Pav theater that existing facilities cannot take the demand if the PAC isn't built. Also, all these other performing arts facilities are either too large (therefore, expensive to rent) or, in the case of Regent, too small for the groups using the Pav theater. These groups need a 1000-1200 seat theater and since the old one was in VB, then so should the new one. Besides, the Sandlers already paid for naming rights.

Where is the Regent?  And isn't there a theatre in Portsmouth called Willets Hall?

And Hoobo, I think the Wells seats no more than half of the 1600 you give it credit for...despite its two balconys.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I was basing the number on info from a historic theater website. Regent is Regent U (CBN). It has an 800-person theater that some were suggesting be used instead of building a PAC.

Actually, I may be warming up to your suggestion.  Last night I was running on 2 hours of sleep in 40 hours, so I wasn't able to imagine your conception.  If the tower is on the back half of the theater with the front half jutting out, a balance between artistic value of the venue and utility of the parcel can be found.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The theater is built on prime real estate. That real estate is now more valuable than ever. So not turning it into money generating property is a loss, outside of the fact that it's a huge expense that wasn't voted on by the tax payers.

In terms of size, who knows if anyone will show up?

I think I should book it and hold some hip-hop concerts there for HRConnect, what do ya think?

The theater is built on prime real estate. That real estate is now more valuable than ever. So not turning it into money generating property is a loss, outside of the fact that it's a huge expense that wasn't voted on by the tax payers.

In terms of size, who knows if anyone will show up?

I think I should book it and hold some hip-hop concerts there for HRConnect, what do ya think?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm so tired of these referendums. We live in a republic not an Athenian democracy. We elect officials to represent us and make decisions. If we don't like them, there's an election every few years to bring in other people. Thanks to the Progressive movement, many governments have a recall option.

Where should a theater be built? In Pungo, perhaps? People want activities. They want entertainment, and a variety of it. Stadiums, arenas, concert halls, theaters, parks, museums, etc. need to be in city centers. They drive after hours life, otherwise downtowns become overgrown office parks. After the novelty of PF Chang's has worn off, why would someone in Kempsville drive to TC when they can go to the restaurant around the corner? These facilties keep people coming back. I would hope that people have something called culture.

Suppose it was a completely private development through a non-profit and its operations were supported by an endownment, would you be against it? I mean, it's still not generating money and this valuable property could have been used by a develoment that actually generated tax revenue. Would you be against this private enterprise?

Finally, have you ever been to an event at the Pav theater? Did you perform an audit of ticket sales and audience head count? On what are you basing your naysaying comments? If no one attended these shows the Pav theater would have sat empty. BTW, it's a PAC not the Boathouse.

I thought I would add my 2 cents about VB. These comments are my own thoughts and feelings. I find this city pretty much void of character and culture. I think it is sad that the state's largest city has hardly any soul and is an endless sea of strip malls. It has a highly transient population and in addition it's largest contributer to the city's coffers is tourism. What we have here is lack of cohesivness (sp) because of this. My neighbors hardly even speak to me nor do they seem concerned (not that I am overtly concerned about this but they could be a little more friendly). Anyway, all that to say I feel the TC does add a sense of space and place in this ocean of suburban development. This may seem a little weird but ever notice how couples hold hands while in TC? There is an intimacy there not found in many places in VB. Also, I feel the PAC is another great way to draw people as well as all that the TC has to offer - and more is on the way. A little culture surely cannot hurt anything. I am glad the city is embarking on this endeavor and I am quite sure the best lies ahead.

I think this city has character, but not an urban charactar (yet) :) Our city's chararctar is the beach, the ocean, postcard sunsets and sunrises, miles of sands, surfing (I know we have no waves, but oddly we have ECSC). Our character is that of a beach city. The TC is definately adding to our resume.

The cities culture is that of a fishing and sea fareing community (as is most of hamton roads), and abundance of history (this oldest place in the "New World"). I love history and I've been a bunch of the local historic sites. They are gorgeous! Like the Adam Thoroughgood House (about the 2 old brick house in America) I know it's widely known as the oldest brick house in the US, but upon researchers further investigation, they found out that the year stamp on the slab in fron of the house was more or less a ground breaking. The house was actually built a few years later, Meanwhile an ealier brick house was built somewhere just outside of HR, I believe.

Also, the Lynnhaven House, Old Donation Church are part of the historic begining of our area. I kinda see all that as part of the culture of the city

Also on the topic of culture, ethnicly speaking, I'm mostly Italian and I guess being so I look for the Italian 'hot spots' in the city and HR for that matter. There are a good amount of great Italian restaurants, pizza joints, and bakeries that I look out for. And I'm not talking about those high brow big box corporate italian places. I'm talking, blue collar home made, treat you like family, proudly owned Italian joints.

And as a musician, I am also a bit aware of whats ebbing and flowing musically. While the local rock scene totally blows around here the classical/theater/symphony, etc scene is very, very strong and active with so many oppourtunties to have a great evening with. Jazz-there's a small core of jazz musician around here, but there are very good. While I'm speak more of HR in general, the VB PAC will be a great and welcome addition to our performing arts culture around here.

I know I'm not making a poinient point (that was redundant) Forgive me, it's late. But, I know our character doesn't slap you in the face like NYC, or Vegas, or Chicago. But our ID has different roots and I think we share and add our character to the other surrounding city's to make an area that is very diverse in landscape, amenities, and lifestyle. But very similar in heritage and history. And that's why I actually enjoy this area (HR) alot.

PS-I am very happy we (VB) are getting our own urban core and urban character.

Metlaman

PPS-I'm tired. I'm going to bed now.

I think we always have had culture just some not other cities cultures. I'm tired of hearing this area being compared to other cities. I think we need to brew some originality. We don't want to be a carbon copy of some where else but give a reason for people to come here and visit. What makes us a cool place is that you can go to 7 different areas and have 7 different cultures so this is a plus to our area. Pennisula flavor is different than that of the Southside. Vabeach is different than Norfolk. Its amazing the change in a 20 minute drive. The more we grow the better this will get. We have taken along time to still be behind the times. I think also I think the type of jobs in the area help with culture. If you have higher paying jobs your culture will tend to go with high end entertainment. So maybe if we get some more of the higher white collar jobs maybe we will have a great balance!

• 5 months later...

Mt. Trashmore opening $150,000 Vert ramp at skate park...Soon to unveil plans for second skate part in Woodstock area. These will put VB on the map in the skatboarding world.

http://home.hamptonroads.com/stories/story...00200&ran=93203

Sweet! This area has a very strong skater scene. Shoot I use to have a Santa Cruz Tom Knoxx board. We use to go up to WW Houston boys club and watch the guys skate the half pipe there. I've been waiting to see something like this come to Vabeach :thumbsup:

This area has always has a very strong skate scene. Though not the best, but famed in certain ways in respect to the ECSC competitions and Mt. Trashmore half pipes. The Windsor Woods Boys was the legendary skate team of Va. Beach and there logo, a 'W' pitchfork, can be seen in many a Powell Perelta-Bones Brigade video spray painted on skate ramps across the US. I especially remember seeing it in the Bones Brigade, "Ban This".

I used to skate in my junior high to early high school days and alway look up to my brother. He was an absolutely awesome skater. He won a ECSC skate competition in '93 and competed in various other comp, and skated in local demos. I slowly started disolving from the sport after I got a hipper on the mini half pipe...IE- I landed on my hipbone from a fall from the rail. I remember seeing WHITE as I was going into near shock from the pain. Eventually I ended up stopping altogether in leu of drumming and music. :) I still think skating should be an Olympic event!

This area has always has a very strong skate scene. Though not the best, but famed in certain ways in respect to the ECSC competitions and Mt. Trashmore half pipes. The Windsor Woods Boys was the legendary skate team of Va. Beach and there logo, a 'W' pitchfork, can be seen in many a Powell Perelta-Bones Brigade video spray painted on skate ramps across the US. I especially remember seeing it in the Bones Brigade, "Ban This".

I used to skate in my junior high to early high school days and alway look up to my brother. He was an absolutely awesome skater. He won a ECSC skate competition in '93 and competed in various other comp, and skated in local demos. I slowly started disolving from the sport after I got a hipper on the mini half pipe...IE- I landed on my hipbone from a fall from the rail. I remember seeing WHITE as I was going into near shock from the pain. Eventually I ended up stopping altogether in leu of drumming and music. :) I still think skating should be an Olympic event!

I'm hoping my son will get into it. I love watching skateboarding and I'm 30. I still have friends that skate. I guess if Tony Hawk can continue why not them. :D

How old is your son?

Even in the old Bones Brigade Vids. everyone seem super young- Tony Hawk, Mike McGill and crew, but Lance Mountain too me seemed to be the old guy of the bunch :) But at that time he was probably in his late 20's to 30.? That's not old at all-I'm 26 :D

Rus, have you seen Dogtown and Z Boys? I caught it at the NARO when it came out about 3 years ago. It is a great documentary. Even my girlfriend who wasn't particularly a fan of skating really enjoyed it. I haven't had a chance to see the second Dogtown film.

How old is your son?

Even in the old Bones Brigade Vids. everyone seem super young- Tony Hawk, Mike McGill and crew, but Lance Mountain too me seemed to be the old guy of the bunch :) But at that time he was probably in his late 20's to 30.? That's not old at all-I'm 26 :D

Rus, have you seen Dogtown and Z Boys? I caught it at the NARO when it came out about 3 years ago. It is a great documentary. Even my girlfriend who wasn't particularly a fan of skating really enjoyed it. I haven't had a chance to see the second Dogtown film.

He is 6 years old. I haven't had a chance to see those movies or videos. I watch some the Xgames and such. I went down to the Oceanfront the year they had auditions for the Xgames.

• 4 months later...

After going to premiere this past weekend in Norfolk I had an epiphany. We really need to add more diverse entertainment to the Pembroke CBD. I'm really hoping that the builders of City Walk have at least some to plans implement an entertainment district on par with Granby. I want clubs, not the touristy oceanfront clubs but the hip and trendy ones that tend to attract the young urbanite. As a local, I tend to steer away from the Oceanfront clubs and i'm sure i'm not alone in this. I feel at times that this city is almost afraid of its youth, but it's the younger people in these urban districts (generally early 20's to early 30's) that keep things dynamic and fresh. The Fan and shockhoe bottom in Richmond are 2 other districts that I think we can learn from as well. Maybe i'm way off on this but in order for "downtown Virginia Beach" to truly become the place to be we're going to need something beyond comedy clubs and bars, even the PAC won't satisfy that need.

After going to premiere this past weekend in Norfolk I had an epiphany. We really need to add more diverse entertainment to the Pembroke CBD. I'm really hoping that the builders of City Walk have at least some plans implement an entertainment district on par with Granby. I want clubs, not the touristy oceanfront clubs but the hip and trendy ones that tend to attract the young urbanite. As a local, I tend to steer away from the Oceanfront clubs and i'm sure i'm not alone in this. I feel at times that this city is almost afraid of its youth, but it's the younger people in these urban districts (generally early 20's to early 30's) that keep things dynamic and fresh. The Fan and shockhoe bottom in Richmond are 2 other districts that I think we can learn from as well. Maybe i'm way off on this but in order for "downtown Virginia Beach" to truly become the place to be we're going to need something beyond comedy clubs and bars, even the PAC won't satisfy that need.

I know what you mean Vdogg. The city walk developers will have to somehow lure independent business owners to take a gamble on creating new ideas for the Town Center/City Walk area. The difference between downtown Norfolk and Virginia Beach is that VB town center is too corporate, whereas each restaurant, bar, and club on Granby Street has its own unique feel and flavor that you can't get in any other city. Where is all the non-corporate support for Town Center?!

As a nondrinker I don't frequent bars but it would seem there is a demand for the more of these upscale kind of establishments for the working professional. The Red Star Tavern seems to fill sort of a void for that in TC and it is a nice place. I have eaten there a couple of times. I have walked and even drove by late and have noticed people walking in late on the weekends. Perhaps the Gordon Biersch Brewery will also serve as another meeting place.

Archived