Virginia Beach Schools and education

vdogg

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cox=Snobs! :rofl:  :P

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Lies. All lies perpetrated by those jealous FC kids. They hate us so much they named their school F Cox. (That would be Frank Cox, for the G-rated audience.) Now, I'm gonna go have my afternoon cavier and champagne and repeat the word "indeed" as I smoke my pipe.

Lies.  All lies perpetrated by those jealous FC kids.  They hate us so much they named their school F Cox.  (That would be Frank Cox, for the G-rated audience.)  Now, I'm gonna go have my afternoon cavier and champagne and repeat the word "indeed" as I smoke my pipe.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm not from Vabeach! I'm from Norfolk and I new about the FC and Cox rivalry. It doesn't help they are about 5 minutes from each other. :rofl: I went to BTW :wacko:

I'm not from Vabeach! I'm from Norfolk and I new about the FC and Cox rivalry. It doesn't help they are about 5 minutes from each other. :rofl:  I went to BTW :wacko:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That 5 minutes is key. Reduces travel time between homecoming pranks. Then again, we never went as far to break windows and spray paint FC on the walls. Spray painting their Darth Vader float green and gold was good enough.

Wait a second. If you went to BTW and still live in Norfolk, then why are you on a VB education thread?

So what do you think about Norfolk Public Schools if you talk down on Green Run? :unsure:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

In terms of education, I think all HR schools are good. Social environment is another thing. But even in that area, local schools have improved a lot. HR schools don't come close to NYC, DC, or even Richmond in terms of dangerous environments. Anyway, all I have to say is "he started it."

In terms of education, I think all HR schools are good. Social environment is another thing.  But even in that area, local schools have improved a lot.  HR schools don't come close to NYC, DC, or even Richmond in terms of dangerous environments.  Anyway, all I have to say is "he started it."

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I wouldn't say that. You must have not been in Norfolk Public Schools then. BTW had gang fights almost daily and two people got shot at school and such. Ambulance was there always picking kids up from getting the sh!t kicked out of them.

I wouldn't say that. You must have not been in Norfolk Public Schools then. BTW had gang fights almost daily and two people got shot at school and such. Ambulance was there always  picking kids up from getting the sh!t kicked out of them.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

When was this? I'm talking about recently. For example, Bayside and Green Run were notorious for gang-related fights/gun battles in the early to mid 90's. Since then, the schools have really cleaned up to point that Green Run had one of the lowest numbers of suspensions in the VB District.

When was this?  I'm talking about recently.  For example, Bayside and Green Run were notorious for gang-related fights/gun battles in the early to mid 90's.  Since then, the schools have really cleaned up to point that Green Run had one of the lowest numbers of suspensions in the VB District.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm talking about Booker T. Washington H.S. in Norfolk. That is where i went to school at.

I'm talking about Booker T. Washington H.S. in Norfolk. That is where i went to school at.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Right. I'm asking when was that. Was it recently or some time ago? I used Bayside and GR as examples. Someone who attended those schools 10 years ago had a different experience of someone who graduated last year. The schools cleaned up. I know Booker T draws from some of the toughest neighborhoods in Norfolk but is it tough today or was it some time ago?

Right.  I'm asking when was that.  Was it recently or some time ago?  I used Bayside and GR as examples.  Someone who attended those schools 10 years ago had a different experience of someone who graduated last year.  The schools cleaned up.  I know Booker T draws from some of the toughest neighborhoods in Norfolk but is it tough today or was it some time ago?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Its about the same dude!

If anyone tries to say that there aren't gang problems still in our schools then I'd like to know what school they go to. I'm in one of the overall richest schools in this region (outside of Poquoson or Lafayette) and I know there are at least a few dozen people involved with gangs. Our freshman class had a drug bust last year (they were in flippin' middle school and they had a huge drug bust! What is that!?).

Schools like Denbigh, Hampton High, and YRA have a lot of problems with fights and gang-related violence still. It's a problem on the decline, but it's still a big problem.

I'd still rather go to ANY Hampton Roads school than the best Richmond has to offer IMO.

GO TABB TIGERS WOOP WOOP.

But it's not like you can't get an education. The problem with inner-city schools is that the gang-related violence is so pervasive that almost everyone is caught up in it either by being involved or by being unable to learn because of constant classroom disruptions and teachers unwilling to teach because of dangerous conditions. Booker T, Indian River, Norcom, Heritage, and Hampton may have tough reps but they're not like Long Beach Poly and Millikan in Long Beach, Ca or Armstrong in Richmond. You can still learn and stay out of trouble if you want. HR schools are either SOL accredited or very close to being accredited.

If anyone tries to say that there aren't gang problems still in our schools then I'd like to know what school they go to.  I'm in one of the overall richest schools in this region (outside of Poquoson or Lafayette) and I know there are at least a few dozen people involved with gangs.  Our freshman class had a drug bust last year (they were in flippin' middle school and they had a huge drug bust!  What is that!?).

At Cox, the closest thing we had to a gang were the Regency Boyz who just acted tough just not in school. Really, our gangs were surfer gangs like the North End Crew and Ultralite (named after the defunct skate/surf store). They were territorial about their waves and always tried to crash parties. I saw tougher gangs in middle school.

I'd still rather go to ANY Hampton Roads school than the best Richmond has to offer IMO.

I reiterate.

I don't mean to say that we compete with the worst that NYC or LA have to offer, but we have our own problems. Mostly drug-related and not violence, but there's more than enough of both.

The problem with a lot of schools around here is that no one wants an education. People choose not to get one and end up in the gangs or they get trapped being hooked on drugs or as alcoholics. It's hard to think of teens as alcoholics or full-blown drug-addicts, but if there are ones that I know personally in York County, hell, there have to be some in Newport News or Norfolk or Portsmouth.

Archived