Virginia Beach Schools and education

vdogg

To answer a previous question, Va Beach public school starts on tuesday. College already started this week.

ok, ok, since nobody else mentioned it, I guess I will...they don't call it Gang Run for nothin' :D

I'm an alumni from Princess Anne HS. I loved my time there. Yea, there were gangs there too, I'm sure. Nothing I ever really saw, but the type of gangs that just start crap. I just tried to stay cool with everybody there, make friends, not enemies. I was a big band dork, or whatever you want to call us on that end of the building.

I think Va Beach has a great educational system. They provide a lot of services for there teachers. From stress releiving perks to educational advancement. A fully SOL accredited city. Of course teachers could alway be paid more though.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You don't know too much about NPS then. We always had class interruptions and crap and drop out rate is high. Fights in class all the time and we have had riots in school too. Drug dogs all the time coming around classes and being pulled out of class to be wanded.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've seen my share of fights, drunk kids, drugs, srug dogs, metal detectors, etc. At Indy Middle, I said a smart as comment and a kid tried to start a fight with me. A week later he was expelled for having a loaded gun in his locker which he claimed was to scare someone into giving him his drug money back. At Cox, my friend's exgirlfired was expelled after they found weed and acid in her locker. My locker-partner hid weed in ours. We had our monthly fight and at some points weekly fights until they expelled rather than suspended those kids who were usually involved. People talked in class and in classes with weaker teachers there'd be interruptions even in honors and AP classes. No public school is perfect. But knowing a couple kids who went BT and Lake Taylor as well as kids from Green Run and Bayside, I can't say any of those are bad schools. They may not have been as good as Maury or Cox, but they're still good schools.

Right.  I'm asking when was that.  Was it recently or some time ago?  I used Bayside and GR as examples.  Someone who attended those schools 10 years ago had a different experience of someone who graduated last year.  The schools cleaned up.  I know Booker T draws from some of the toughest neighborhoods in Norfolk but is it tough today or was it some time ago?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ya, it's a completely different environment now. I graduated Green Run in '94. When it was kinda at the height of the "Gang Run" or "Gun Run" stuff. Just like russ said about the daily ambulance visits. Green Run had several fights in the hall everyday. I think that was cause it was very very overcrowded back then. Since then, Both Tallwood and Ocean Lakes opened up and I've visited Green Run, since, and the place seems empty compared to how I remember it in my days. Overcrowding makes it tough, and I don't think VB has as much trouble in that area as it used to. Couldn't speak to the situation in Norfolk though. And back then, we didn't look down on Norfolk schools, we were scared of em. :rofl:

I'd still rather go to ANY Hampton Roads school than the best Richmond has to offer IMO.

Hopefully you mean the city proper and not Chesterfield and Henrico's schools... the only school I'd wanna go to in the city of Richmond would be MAggie Walker Governor's School....

I've always heard beach schools were good. Pretty good in sports too (I know definitely in soccer)..... I think the year I graduated, our school's boys volleyball team had to easily whoop some school from Virginia Beach for the state championship :D

It's a pretty big school system too. I know ours had about 60,000 students. how many does the Beach have?

Hopefully you mean the city proper and not Chesterfield and Henrico's schools... the only school I'd wanna go to in the city of Richmond would be MAggie Walker Governor's School....

I've always heard beach schools were good. Pretty good in sports too (I know definitely in soccer)..... I think the year I graduated, our school's boys volleyball team had to easily whoop some school from Virginia Beach for the state championship :D

It's a pretty big school system too. I know ours had about 60,000 students. how many does the Beach have?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I believe 78,000. I'm sure Peninsulakiddo is talking about Richmond City. I don't think any of worst HR schools comes close to being as bad as the best of Richmond City's schools. Easily whoop, huh? Must've been when boys' vball was just started at Beach schools. Didn't take long for Cox and FC to become powerhouses in that sport.

ahh my memory comes and goes it seems.... looks like Monacan had to whoop Tallwood of Va Beach in the semi's and then had no choice but to beat Great Bridge of Chesapeake in the state finals :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey trash-talker, Tallwood won the 04-05 Boys' vball championship. Cox won the 04-05 girls' vball championship.

Baseball: PA

Girls' Bball: PA

Boys' Bball: Woodside def Landstown

Field Hockey: PA def Cox (2 beach schools in the final?!)

Football (D6): Landstown

Gymnastics: no beach school placed in team competition, but Kara Wright of FC won individual title

Indoor Track: no beach schools, but Bethel won girls and Deep Creek won boys

Outdoor Track: Landstown tied Great Bridge for boys and 4 HR schools took top 5 spots in boys and 3 of 5 in girls

Softball: Kempsville

Girls Soccer: Kellam

Wrestling: Cox was 3rd with Great Bridge winning the team crown. 4 Cox wrestlers and 1 Kempsville wrestler won their weight class. GB won 7 weight classes leaving 2 other weight classes for the rest of the state.

Beach schools are tough in sports. But as a region, HR just flat out dominates.

Hey trash-talker, Tallwood won the 04-05 Boys' vball championship.  Cox won the 04-05 girls' vball championship.

Baseball:  PA

Girls' Bball:  PA

Boys' Bball:  Woodside def Landstown

Field Hockey:  PA def Cox (2 beach schools in the final?!)

Football (D6):  Landstown

Gymnastics:  no beach school placed in team competition, but Kara Wright of FC won individual title

Indoor Track:  no beach schools, but Bethel won girls and Deep Creek won boys

Outdoor Track:  Landstown tied Great Bridge for boys and 4 HR schools took top 5 spots in boys and 3 of 5 in girls

Softball:  Kempsville

Girls Soccer:  Kellam

Wrestling:  Cox was 3rd with Great Bridge winning the team crown.  4 Cox wrestlers and 1 Kempsville wrestler won their weight class.  GB won 7 weight classes leaving 2 other weight classes for the rest of the state.

Beach schools are tough in sports.  But as a region, HR just flat out dominates.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I know and a NFL show said there must be something in our water with all the pro stars that come from this area!

ohhh I dunno maybe just billions around the world that make it the most popular sport... it's top event, the world cup draws more viewers than probably all other top sporting events combined... one day rus even you will like fairy ball! lol :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Never! :rofl: Sorry but I just don't find soccer fun. I'm the traditional football, basketball and baseball guy. I love MMA fights too. Actually I like Mixed Martial Arts fighting over everything cause I use to do it in the amatuer level. I watch all of the Pride and UFC fights! They rock dude!

I know this is off-topic but I'm going to the "Battle of Virginia" boxing event at the Patriot Center here at GMU this month... K sorry vdogg!!!!

do Beach schools have trouble with overcrowding?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

All of these schools in this region have over crowding problems. They can't build them fast enough, especially vabeach

All of these schools in this region have over crowding problems. They can't build them fast enough, especially vabeach

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Residential growth in VB has almost stalled. Cpeake and Suffolk are the high growth areas now. VB is focused on diversifying its tax base. I believe VB enrollment has actually dropped a couple thousand. With redistricting, VB was able to solve most of its over-crowding problems by moving students from over-crowded schools to ones that are under-capacity like Green Run. Some schools like Salem, Cox (or FC), and I believe, PA, are in line for additions. Beach schools don't have as many portables as they used to. Cpeake is in really bad shape. Grassfields HS needs to be built to relieve the severe overcrowding at Hickory, whose original purpose was to relieve overcrowding at GB.

Residential growth in VB has almost stalled.  Cpeake and Suffolk are the high growth areas now.  VB is focused on diversifying its tax base.  I believe VB enrollment has actually dropped a couple thousand.  With redistricting, VB was able to solve most of its over-crowding problems by moving students from over-crowded schools to ones that are under-capacity like Green Run.  Some schools like Salem, Cox (or FC), and I believe, PA, are in line for additions.  Beach schools don't have as many portables as they used to.  Cpeake is in really bad shape.  Grassfields HS needs to be built to relieve the severe overcrowding at Hickory, whose original purpose was to relieve overcrowding at GB.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They still have too many portables! Landstown is a new H.S. and its has portables. What is wrong with this picture. There should be no portables on a fairly new school.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

All I have to say is Ghettolake, i mean Meadowlake.

Archived