Virginia Beach Stores, Retail, and Restaurants

vdogg

So it finally officially leaked out eh? lol. But looking at the rendering is misleading. Looking at the red dot in the rendering might lead most to believe the store would be located right where that new strip center opened (the old Pizza Hut) but from what I understand they are looking at the old Kroger/Hannaford store or perhaps they are even looking to be included with the City Walk development. The old Kroger and HQ sites have different owners and from what I recall the Kroger site had no interest in being apart of the City Walk development.

wholefoodsmap.gif

They way they worded the article though makes it sound as though this is part of city walk. And since Divaris is working on city walk and the grocer this is likely the case.

The more I think about it the more I think it probably will be located in the center itself. I can't find a certain email I was looking for (thought I posted it here somewhere) but Mr. Divaris said the center would include a high-end type grocery store as well. If I find the email I will post it here.

Here is the excerpt from the email:

"Work on City Walk is going ahead slowly but surely. we have letters of

intent signed with some exciting stores including a great new specialty

grocer. We should start making announcements on that project by the end

of the year."

Edited by guynvb

The more I think about it the more I think it probably will be located in the center itself. I can't find a certain email I was looking for (thought I posted it here somewhere) but Mr. Divaris said the center would include a high-end type grocery store as well. If I find the email I will post it here.

Here is the excerpt from the email:

"Work on City Walk is going ahead slowly but surely. we have letters of

intent signed with some exciting stores including a great new specialty

grocer. We should start making announcements on that project by the end

of the year."

Told u. :thumbsup::yahoo:

Thinking more about it the old Kroger store is really a sore spot. It does not tie in with the CityWalk project which is across the street. Whatever ends up being built there will most certainly have to be a free standing store. And since that plot of land is small whatever is built there will have to take advantage of that. Any ideas of how to redevelop that parcel?

152320489GZsTRA_ph.jpg

Edited by guynvb

I really hope they do tear it down. Unless there are going to have another grocery store there (but hoping Whole Foods will be IN CityView) I couldn't see how this store could fit in. This property is pretty small to begin with but I hope they don't replace it with another small strip center such as the old Pizza Hut property which is on the corner of Indy and VB Blvd.

I really hope they do tear it down. Unless there are going to have another grocery store there (but hoping Whole Foods will be IN CityView) I couldn't see how this store could fit in. This property is pretty small to begin with but I hope they don't replace it with another small strip center such as the old Pizza Hut property which is on the corner of Indy and VB Blvd.

If they're building a mid-to-high rise in Norfolk that's only <20feet wide, imagine what they could do with this property... :thumbsup:

• 3 weeks later...

That's good to know. Any idea on where they'll be located in the mall?

My source is not sure about the location but I am quite sure it will anchor the northern part of the mall where Furniture Liquidators is currently located. I was told earlier in the year they would be tearing down that structure and re-building a brand new store. If you ever visit the mall you will notice most of the stores are doing well except for that northern corridor. Having a Target on that end will give a much needed traffic boost to that immediate area/corridor.

Edited by guynvb

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like Kuhlman and Johnny Rockets will be coming to Town Center.

Divaris Real Estate has announced the signing of a lease with Johnny Rockets for 2,289 square feet in Block 10 in the Town Center of Virginia Beach. Johnny Rockets has 176 restaurants globally, featuring all-American favorites like hamburgers and shakes.

The lease was negotiated by Mary McGovern of Divaris, representing the landlord. The tenant was represented by Jay Burnell and Levi Thomson of DRE

I noticed today Jason's Deli is being built onto Pembroke Mall near the side entrance near Sears. Also, I was told that the old Lord and Taylor at Lynnhaven Mall will be a (another?) main entrance to the mall complete with a fountain and other shops. I don't really have any other details other than that.

Heard tonight there are rumors of closing Regal theater at Pembroke to make way for the Target store. That may further explain block 9 of the TC schematic which depicts cinemas above retail.

That is disappointing. First of all, it means there arent any plans for the columbus theater area, and two, the closer we get to a target coming, the least likely there will ever be a chance of getting rid of that mall. Target really wont add anything to an urban feel.

That is disappointing. First of all, it means there arent any plans for the columbus theater area, and two, the closer we get to a target coming, the least likely there will ever be a chance of getting rid of that mall. Target really wont add anything to an urban feel.

Actually there is a good side to having Target will be that this mall will be less of a typical mall and more of a indoor retail district for Pembroke. Plus if the mall gets a grocery store that will be a great thing for the mall in changing it from just a mall. There is alot of land around the mall that could be home to parking garages, office buildings, residential space, and so on.

While I don't see the mall ever turning into part of the city's urban fabric of that area, I do see it creating a unique retail center that has plenty of chances to expand and grow into something very organic and living.

Keep in mind I do not like the mall and wish they would tear it down for something better, but from talking to the owners of the mall years ago, it is something that is here to stay and grow so it would be in the city's best interest to make the best of it. If it makes you feel better, the Pembroke Mall, Pembroke Office Park, and the apartments behind the office park are kind of like the city center's oldtown. Being that, the city shouldn't get rid of their past, but rather try to work with it to make it better.

While I can emphatize that the mall is not going anywhere, I am glad Target is coming. If the mall is to stay certainly they need to add a major retailer plus the Pembroke area is in need of other shopping choices besides the Big Kmart across the street.

I think that Target would be great for the Pembroke area, I'm a big fan of Target and live in the area around there, so my bias is out in the open. I feel that a "Box Store" was destined for the mall since it was clear the mall ownership wants to stick it out and Target is better than Walmart. I say this for one reason, The Target in Bailey's Crossroads was plunked right in the middle of a cluster of high rises and they did a really good job of fitting it in with the area. They didn't just stick with the "4 walls, a roof, and mega parking lot" concept that keeps urban planners up at night. So if the city is willing to work with them they might get a store that can draw in the traffic that the mall needs and be able to compliment towncenter.

I think that Target would be great for the Pembroke area, I'm a big fan of Target and live in the area around there, so my bias is out in the open. I feel that a "Box Store" was destined for the mall since it was clear the mall ownership wants to stick it out and Target is better than Walmart. I say this for one reason, The Target in Bailey's Crossroads was plunked right in the middle of a cluster of high rises and they did a really good job of fitting it in with the area. They didn't just stick with the "4 walls, a roof, and mega parking lot" concept that keeps urban planners up at night. So if the city is willing to work with them they might get a store that can draw in the traffic that the mall needs and be able to compliment towncenter.

I too live in the area and have been waiting a long time for this to come about. And it's not as though they are adding another big box store as they will be tearing down the Furniture Liquidators store and replacing it with Target. Also, if the theater is going to be razed as well perhaps this is going to be a pretty large store and/or perhaps they will incorporate other shops with it as well.