Virginia Beach Stores, Retail, and Restaurants

vdogg

There have been a number of restaurant closures around Lynnhaven Mall recently, including Applebee’s, UNOs, Ruby Tuesday, and Cheeseburger in Paradise. At least three of these chains have reported financial issues company wide (not sure about UNOs) so hopefully this isn’t a statement about Lynnhaven’s restaurant market. 

With that said, Panera is planning on relocating and opening a drive-thru behind BOA, similar to two other locations in VB (Hilltop & Kemp’s River). 

CB in P  is down to only one or two locations nationwide. Hardly a LH dist issue. Both Applebee's and RT's have been closing restaurants right and left.  

A Cooper's Hawk Winery is being built @ 12k sf in front of Maggie McFly's ...which itself is a large, newer ground-up build from CT.  I like it. Meanwhile Las Palmas 2 opened in the former Ruby Tuesdays space fairly recently. Panda Express already opened a new standalone store on the site of the former Applebees...which was razed. I think that speaks well of the demand for land over there. So there is simply a lot of pressure on the sit-down chains right now. Fast casual is the new norm.  those traditional style chains that do not adapt or reinvent themselves will die. 

Edited by baobabs727

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

https://pilotonline.com/news/local/around-town/article_1b231e24-045e-11e9-9e90-3759cd181f17.html

Maybe I'm missing something. But at the beach, esp. during summer, why would you have a place like Taco Bell closing at midnight, esp. when you have places like Peabody's that stay open to last call?

Then again, I could be wrong...maybe the last call traffic is the exactly what they don't want, given the location and how Taco Bell's line wraps around the building at 2 am. But, on the surface, this seems more like VB caving in to the NIMBYs who hate everything.

• Like 1

The Resort Beach Civic League and a number of residents spoke out against the proposed restaurant at a Planning Commission meeting, raising concerns regarding traffic and noise.”

The oceanfront is nothing but traffic and noise during the summer. I hardly think that Taco Bell is going to be the straw that broke the camel’s back. These people will complain about anything. :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I’ve been to Wegmans a couple of times mostly to pick up a few things. I especially appreciated all their gluten free items being all together on one isle and they have the largest selection in any store that I’ve been to. The prices seemed reasonable at least comparable to Fresh Market, at least for the items I buy . The store is smaller than the other Fairfax store I’ve been to but I’ve read the new stores going up are not as large as before. The store was busy both times and an article I read (I think an editorial on Inside Business) stated the Beach store had the 3rd largest number of people shop during it’s grand opening in the chain’s history.

I’ve yet to eat at a Shake Shack but hoping to visit soon.

Edited by urbanvb

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/27/2019 at 3:26 PM, urbanvb said:

I’ve been to Wegmans a couple of times mostly to pick up a few things. I especially appreciated all their gluten free items being all together on one isle and they have the largest selection in any store that I’ve been to. The prices seemed reasonable at least comparable to Fresh Market, at least for the items I buy . The store is smaller than the other Fairfax store I’ve been to but I’ve read the new stores going up are not as large as before. The store was busy both times and an article I read (I think an editorial on Inside Business) stated the Beach store had the 3rd largest number of people shop during it’s grand opening in the chain’s history.

I’ve yet to eat at a Shake Shack but hoping to visit soon.

Great report. I, too, have visited NOVA Wegmans locations over the years. They run 130k-145k sf, whereas ours is 113k sf. Richmond's two units are 115k & 120k sf.  Main difference here vs. NOVA besides some extra space in main level is that they have the huge mezzanine seating area and private room(s). Fredericksburg mezz, in particular, seems like wasted space to me. Not crowded. 

However, you are also correct in your reportage that Wegmans has decided that it can operate more efficiently within a smaller footprint, as 4 of the 5 new stores in The Triangle will be under 100k sf or just a tad over. 95/99k-103k....vs our 113k.

Edited by baobabs727

• 4 weeks later...

Latitude Climbing announced last week that they would open an additional location at Pembroke Mall next summer.  No offical location yet but the former Jason’s Deli location would make the most sense (kind of looks like it in the picture too). 

FD4D1752-3C97-4F85-9479-16EA49F3AAF3.jpeg.750ded40645cc0a47c2f3c61d65fc9d6.jpeg9443E382-6448-44AD-858F-ACF0E645F855.thumb.jpeg.706e754e4e66148e787389ce40c535de.jpeg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, vdogg said:

The Farm Fresh by my house has emptied all their shelves. They're closing for good in a few weeks. I'm especially mad that I missed the 35% off beer day...:angry: This was the only Farm Fresh that was saved in Virginia Beach.

:cry:

MVIMG_20190807_173655.jpg

Was this Diamond Springs or Chimney Hill? I heard some rumors that Chimney Hill was closing.