Virginia Beach Stores, Retail, and Restaurants

vdogg

Heard tonight there are rumors of closing Regal theater at Pembroke to make way for the Target store. That may further explain block 9 of the TC schematic which depicts cinemas above retail.

I don't think this is accurate, as I just came across an application for a conditional use permit to use the theatre space on Sundays between 9:30 - 11:00 a.m. for worship services before the movie theatre opens for the day. The City wouldn't consider an application (which looked like they were looking at approving it) if the theatres were closing anytime soon. I could easily be wrong, though!

I don't think this is accurate, as I just came across an application for a conditional use permit to use the theatre space on Sundays between 9:30 - 11:00 a.m. for worship services before the movie theatre opens for the day. The City wouldn't consider an application (which looked like they were looking at approving it) if the theatres were closing anytime soon. I could easily be wrong, though!

Actually, I am aware of this. This church has been meeting there at Regal and through them is how I heard about the rumors of possible closing of the theater.

Sounds like bad news for sure. I have always wondered how well (or not well) the local store does. The merchandise half seems to never be too busy when I have gone there (maybe I go visit when they aren't?) but the the copymax center seems to do alright. I guess we will have to wait to find out.

Sounds like bad news for sure. I have always wondered how well (or not well) the local store does. The merchandise half seems to never be too busy when I have gone there (maybe I go visit when they aren't?) but the the copymax center seems to do alright. I guess we will have to wait to find out.

Yeah, I have a feeling this is most likely why it's taking them so long to figure out whether officemax is onboard or not. Definately puts things in perspective.

Update: So tonight while I was out I decided to pay a visit to Office Max and 'nose' around a little. I spoke with one employee who was quite friendly and refreshingly knowledgable as well. He said that location is in fact the largest and has the most sales in the district (so what do I know about sales?). He also said they are unsure if they will build a new store or just put a new facade over it. According to him though structually the store needs a lot repair as the roof leaks, the tiles keep coming up and something about a back wall about to give way. :w00t: . So, while it is not settled completely, it would seem the store should not be going anywhere anytime soon which is great.

Update: So tonight while I was out I decided to pay a visit to Office Max and 'nose' around a little. I spoke with one employee who was quite friendly and refreshingly knowledgable as well. He said that location is in fact the largest and has the most sales in the district (so what do I know about sales?). He also said they are unsure if they will build a new store or just put a new facade over it. According to him though structually the store needs a lot repair as the roof leaks, the tiles keep coming up and something about a back wall about to give way. :w00t: . So, while it is not settled completely, it would seem the store should not be going anywhere anytime soon which is great.

You would think they would want to stay near a CBD. That is where they will make their money.

Exactly!

Yeah, if it's the busiest store they aint going anywhere. I'm really anxious to see how they plan on incorporating that strip mall in with these 2 towers, and i'm also anxious to see where the exact location of the towers will be on that property. Renderings, we want renderings! :lol:

Over at Pembroke Mall I noticed today Jason's Deli had opened. It looks like a small place but upon entering I found it to be larger than anticipated. A sign at the door says it seats 188 guests. I found it to be a really upscale but comfortable place with an uptown/downtown feel to it. I really wanted to take some pics inside but managers and the hostesses were everywhere. :whistling:

DSC02707.jpg

DSC02708.jpg

And not to tempt you in the least :P here is an offering from their catering menu.

DSC02714.jpg

DSC02715.jpg

DSC02716.jpg

DSC02717.jpg

DSC02718.jpg

DSC02719.jpg

DSC02720.jpg

DSC02721.jpg

Well, it was nearing luch time today and I so I decided to wander off to Jason's Deli again and check out their offerings. Since I am not a big bread eater I decided to have a baked potato figuring it would be small and filling. I entered the eatery and found lots of employees for such a smallish place. Behind the tall counter I orderd my potato and then proceeded down the line to pay the cashier. After paying I was instructed to give the yellow ticket to the guy behind me who was placing the food on trays. Well, needless to say, I was NOT expecting what was given - a mammoth sized potato!

DSC02722.jpg

Looking around I found most folks ordered half-sandwiches and even those were piled very high with meat and all kinds of trimmings. The Friday crowd were mostly office workers probably in the nearby buildings. It was a very comfortable and relaxed setting which I enjoyed a lot. Most of the seating area is a large room which has a high ceiling. The walls are painted a warm golden color. Thick black crown molding adorned the top of the walls while black bead board finished out the bottom of the walls. The windows were very large and eye level and even though it was overcast plenty of light filled the room. The plaster was deliberately rustic and not smooth and ceiling fans were everywhere giving the place a very old-world appearance. Pictures of buildings and statues and such were everywhere further enhancing the experience. Managers were everywhere asking folks about their lunch. I found the staff friendly and very diverse which was refreshing. Even upon leaving a manager opened the door and asked me to return again. I think I might. :good:

BTW, I did eating 2/3 of the potato. :whistling:

DSC02724.jpg

DSC02725.jpg

DSC02723.jpg

a couple of those have opened in [R-word]

Are there any Five Guys a Burger and Fries down there yet?

There's a Five Guys on Indy next to the Food Lion near Bayside Hospital. Plus I think that there's one somewhere in Kempsville. Coupe is right...they have some of the best burgers out there!

• 2 weeks later...

Well, according to the Pilot, MacArthur appears to be the winner in the Apple store sweepstakes. A few months ago, Apple rumor sites listed Lynnhaven as a future store location and that the mall was shuffling stores around to create a large enough space for Apple in center court. Looks like that may be over.