Virginia Beach Stores, Retail, and Restaurants

vdogg

Hard to believe the VB location would close. Just a few weeks ago I had been trying to get in but the wait times were crazy.

Well, the article said the VB one is up for sale, which means to me that it's at least outperforming the ones that are closing. That said, there's new gurantee that whatever new owner they find will keep it as a Smokey Bones. I went there a few months ago and the food and atmosphere were great. It was also busy when I went there.

• 2 weeks later...

I saw that, and was surprised, as I didn't know they were threatened. The place is a bit on the pricy side for lunch, but good food and it's _quick_.

The chain was suffering, but the store itself is doing very well in that location. That is the reason it is being sold vice being closed all together.

• 2 months later...

Baja Fresh is a money losing chain. Wendy's just sold it and the menu has been revamped. It is likely that the new owner has either eliminated under-performing stores or is shedding stores in new markets to concentrate on mature markets like Southern California and DC.

Baja Fresh is a money losing chain. Wendy's just sold it and the menu has been revamped. It is likely that the new owner has either eliminated under-performing stores or is shedding stores in new markets to concentrate on mature markets like Southern California and DC.

The sale is true, but not the cause of the local store closing -- the owner of the local franchise (and that is who it was, not the chain) ran into money problems and that led to the closing of his only two stores -- here and Richmond. Actually was locked out of the one on Lynnhaven for defaulting on his lease.

Too bad -- they had the best Mexican food in VB.

Wonder if there is any corollary to the closing of Rio Grande Cafe in Richmond? Can it be that there is no market south of DC for above average Mexican food? Kinda like Darden bailing out of the China Coast chain when they figured out that they couldn't compete in the Chinese food space with the buffets. There may be markets in Texas and SoCal where people are willing to pay a little more for better quality food. It just might not exist south of DC.

Baja Fresh has gone downhill with their new menu. They give you way less food for the same as you were paying before. For $7, I better get a salad that has more than a couple pieces of lettuce and a couple strips of chicken. I can get a better salad at Quiznos for less money. I'm all for paying higher prices, as long as I get my money's worth.

Baja Fresh has gone downhill with their new menu. They give you way less food for the same as you were paying before. For $7, I better get a salad that has more than a couple pieces of lettuce and a couple strips of chicken. I can get a better salad at Quiznos for less money. I'm all for paying higher prices, as long as I get my money's worth.

Haven't seen the new menu since the one here is closed! Was going through fish taco withdrawl until I found Pelon's at around 35th and Pacific. Malibu Mac's at Red Mill is OK, but portions are too small. Tijuana Flats at Hilltop is pretty good as well -- just no fish tacos.

I think it is interesting that Chipotle is in Richmond, but not here. Qdoba is a complete copy of Chipotle (was founded in Denver by ex-Chipotle employees two years after Chipotle), way before McDs even knew. Interesting that Chipotle, which isn't short of cash, hasn't expanded here.

Oh, well -- have to go back to my old habits -- stop in Fredericksburg on my way back from DC if I want Baja Fresh or Chipotle.

I tried Chipotle for the first time last week in Springfield on my way to a concert at the Jaxx> (Has and anyone heard of Symphony X?) I wasn't impressed. I find Moe's Southwest Grill as good of a quaility or better in food, better atmosphere, and more menu options. Chipotle as burritos or burritoes. Hmmmm, I'll have the burrito... Moes has taco's, FISH TACOS for scm, quesodillas, burritos, etc, etc. THey have a pretty fun psuedo-music modern atmosphere, and a liqour licsence. So, if you in the mood you can a single serving bottle of wine or a Dos Aquis, Sol, or Moe-rita. Try it. You'll like it! :) There's one on 21st in Ghent and the shopping center on the corner of Lynnhave Pkwy and S. Lynnhaven Rd. near Lynnhaven Mall.

Edited by metalman

Moes has taco's, FISH TACOS for scm, quesodillas, burritos, etc, etc. \

Well, you certainly are entitled to your opinion, but you aren't entitled to your own facts. Chipotle has tacos, burritos, and salads, almost everything Moe's has. Moe's has NO fish tacos. Every Chipotle I've ever been in had beer.

Besides, I want to go for the food -- not to get yelled at when I walk in the door. Never trust a Mexican food place headquartered in Georgia.

I think they both are crap. Fast-casual Mexican is... bleah

But on another note, I saw the Target at Hilltop tonight and it looks like they are doing a massive overhaul. Does anyone have any info on whether or not it will be a SuperTarget or is it just going to be a huge Target?

It will remain just a Target, but bigger and more modern, offering a wider selection of items, etc... If you go inside of the store there is a rendering of it...

Not trying to mislead anyone... I swore Moes had fish tacos, guess not, my bad. I have only been in to one Chipolte in Springfield and all I saw on the menu were 4 or 5 big signs behind the works indicating the steps to ordering your burrito. I didn't see anything for tacos, or salads for that matter. But, again it was my first time, so I could have just missed it.

But, opinion related- I still think the decor is cold. At least at the Springfield location.

My wife and I were there last weekend. The food seems to be the same and the same prices with the addition of some more upscale menu items like Tuna steak fajitas which my wife got and loved. The restaurant is very wide open, tall exposed ceilngs and ducting, stained bare concrete floors. To the left side from the door is very modern and contemporary art and decor is paintings and colored glass art. A curved bar is in the center with its wicked fiber-optics lighting. To the right of the main entrance there is a sort of Central American Indian, Mexican, earthy vibe with stars, sun face art, and twisted bamboo plant is sconces on the wall. Further to the right up a few stairs is the bar area with a very long meandering bar, more seating, about 6 premade flavored marguirita taps. That section kinda looks Vegas to me.

We went there for lunch at about two and it was nice and quite. I'll have to go back at night to check that scene out.

Oh...We were eating and I was diping my steak into the white sauce that comes with the tortillas and a big dude at the bar walked over to me say "That sauce is good, huh?" I said, yea. Blah, blah. He was Guadalajara's general manager. He said they are looking to bottle and sell there sauces in stores. I love there white sauce. I'd buy it if they sold it!

Salute,

Metalman

I've been there a few times in the evenings. I'm not that impressed by the bartenders except the fact that they are heavy handed. The waitresses are BEAUTIFUL. They have a no jeans policy after 10 so I am happy to hear that & it has your typical good looking people there.

Went to Gaudalajara's in TC for dinner again today and walk over to the plaza to see if any music was playing. I walked over and peaked through the window at Blanc. From the looks of it, it is a bunch of high end home decor and stuff. I would say the things I saw thru the window were my taste, but they looked like they were up there in price nonethless. And there was a little tiny, tiny dog staring at me through the front door window. It was wearing a silver sequent shirt. :rolleyes:

And right next door was another shop opening up, I believe, tomorrow. Johnston and Murphey, a high end mostly leather goods mens store- Shoes, wallets, jackets, belts, luggage, etc. I spoke to someone standing by the "Ye old Clocke" (maybe the owner, manager) who was telling me about the place.

Stuff is popping up everywhere down there!

Edited by metalman