Virginia Beach Stores, Retail, and Restaurants

vdogg

Looks like Pembroke Mall is gonna be around a while.

Target to open store in Va. Beach's Pembroke Mall/ Yard House coming to TC

The retailer Target plans to open a store in Pembroke Mall, the oldest indoor mall in South Hampton Roads, in the fall of 2012. Across Virginia Beach Boulevard in Town Center, a fall opening is planned for the Yard House, an upscale pub, the company's owner said. The move represents the restaurant's expansion into the Virginia market, CEO Harald Herr-mann said.
Edited by urbanvb

With the way the economy has been, I don't see the Pembroke Mall being redeveloped any time soon until there is a call for a massive urban growth in the area. And even then, I think it will be in stages and the city will probably get some sort of faux urban feeling district out of the shell of Pembroke Mall, which would probably work well for Virginia Beach.

• 1 month later...

Future of ex-Giant Square shopping center in Beach up in air

For more than three years the fate of the former Giant Square shopping center has been up in the air. In 2007, Lowe’s bought the roughly 12-acre parcel on Independence Boulevard for $13.5 million with the intention of building Lowe’s Home Improvement Store.

I've been wondering what the hold up is. Looks like Lowes is dragging their feet. Hopefully sooner than later they will make up their mind.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

I'm anxious to see how Yard House does. I just wonder how they'll do with Gordon Biersch right there in Town Center as well...GB's know for its beers as well.

they should do very well, i would think. they are hitting two distinct markets. Gordon Biersch is for people who like the six or so beers they offer, that's it. Yard House will cater to people who want to try something new, who like unique beers, and will have a different type of food. I can't wait to go when they open!

• 5 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 6 months later...

I was in Chimney Hill a couple weeks ago, and a new Roses is about to open in that shopping center, a few doors down from Big Lots. I dunno what it is, but I've always liked that store, and am always pleasantly surprised to see they're still around. 

I believe it opens on the 13th.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Was really sad to see this go. That place had by far the most unique flair of any place in TC.  Hopefully something that isn't just another vanilla chain will open up in its spot.

• 1 month later...

In other news Lynnhaven Mall is getting a make over. I've heard the old Lord and Taylor will become a new entrance area as well as the 2nd story concept for the food court going away. Some food court stores will permanently close. They will somehow build new food court stores where the escalators are outside. And a good source says an A**** store is coming. It's confidential so shh.

Edited by urbanvb

• 3 weeks later...