Virginia Beach Stores, Retail, and Restaurants

vdogg

According to a source from the CBDA, Nordstrom Rack will be going in place of the old Jason's Deli, with Fresh Market fronting the Virginia Beach Blvd side of Sears.  Also, expect to see a redevelopment of the Barnes and Noble site in the future that will complement Town Center.

Good to see Fresh Market making an appearance further west. Currently, both Southside locations are about 25-30 minutes away from me (Kempsville area). While still not particularly close, it's not a lot closer than it was.

On a mildly related note, it would be nice to see a pedestrian bridge to go over Va Beach Blvd to connect Pembroke Mall to Town Center even further. Especially with the light rail being approved, it would be a way to make the area more pedestrian friendly.

According to a source from the CBDA, Nordstrom Rack will be going in place of the old Jason's Deli, with Fresh Market fronting the Virginia Beach Blvd side of Sears.  Also, expect to see a redevelopment of the Barnes and Noble site in the future that will complement Town Center.

I would love to see the entire site east of Constitution bulldozed and made into 4+ new blocks of hi-rise goodness with the Tide station where the Regal is now.

I really hope by "complement" you mean they're gonna get rid of that massive sea of parking and build something flush with the street. Building something urban and walkable over there would be awesome. :)

I would love to see the entire site east of Constitution bulldozed and made into 4+ new blocks of hi-rise goodness with the Tide station where the Regal is now.

From what I've heard, it's almost a foregone conclusion that the Tide station will be at the Regal site. That will then free up the Priority Automotive site for a large mixed use development. :whistling:

It would seem that Hilltop is getting a bit saturated with Fresh Market, Trader Joes and Whole Foods. While demographics are excellent for them there I wonder if there is really a big enough market for all.

I've not heard of the Pemboke Kmart closing but in time I could imagine it might be some type of mixed use space.

Have you been to that Whole Foods? They literally have Walmart level crowds everytime I go there. Please, saturate away. I think the market in that area could use more not less. I'd really prefer they start doing something urban in that area. It'll be hard to accomplish though with those side streets in the way.

From what I've heard, it's almost a foregone conclusion that the Tide station will be at the Regal site.

That's a bit further past town center than I was expecting. I always thought the plan was to put the tide station at the priority site, therefore making it easier to run down Independence towards the base. This is definitely an interesting change.

Actually I've been to WF quite a bit. Indeed that is one busy store. I'd personally like to see Wegmans at TC but I'm not sure if the demographic is there. It's much improved though. I could be wrong.

Edited by urbanvb

From what I've heard, it's almost a foregone conclusion that the Tide station will be at the Regal site. That will then free up the Priority Automotive site for a large mixed use development. :whistling:

So we're basically looking at the constitution option on page 18 of this document.

http://www.vbgov.com/government/departments/planning/TransPlanning/Virginia-Beach-Light-Rail-Extension/Documents/PembrokeMultimodalStationMasterPlan.pdf

I like it. Lots of TOD potential with that option.

That's interesting, everything I've read has Nordstrom Rack leasing with Sears.   Is the Jason's Deli spot owned by the mall or Sears?  i haven't seen specifically if Fresh Market is signing with Sears or the mall but it would seem from your information that they're signing with Sears.  

I do like the idea of redeveloping from B&N to Regal (I've heard Regal or at least a movie theater is supposed to be built into a future phase).  Where does that put Ulta/Five Below/FYE as they just redeveloped that spot?

Years ago there was talk on an urban more independent type theater being built as part of a phase of TC. Not that it seems TC has put on the brakes I don't see this happening anytime soon. Also, I rode by the Hilltop Kmart and noticed the store closing banner. It will be interesting to see what's built there. That is a good sized prime property with an excellent location near the highway.

That's interesting, everything I've read has Nordstrom Rack leasing with Sears.   Is the Jason's Deli spot owned by the mall or Sears?  i haven't seen specifically if Fresh Market is signing with Sears or the mall but it would seem from your information that they're signing with Sears.

I did get a clarification. Fresh Market is signing with Sears and will be directed towards the other side. Nordstrom Rack and DSW will be fronting the mall near the old Jason's Deli site.

I've never been to a Wegman's but from what I hear about them it would be rather neat to see one in the VB area.  As far as the discussion that's been had about The Fresh Market making an appearance at Pembroke, their website has nothing in either their "Coming Soon" or "Announced Leases" section.  Can anyone confirm that this is more than a rumor?

Usually it's difficult to confirm retailers are coming unless they officially announce or as Brennen has said someone told him Fresh Market at Pembroke is coming. Usually the CBDA is a pretty knowledgeable crowd so I would say they're coming.

Wegmans is like a supermarket on steroids, at least the one I visited up in Fairfax County. That one was two stories with a restaurant on the bottom. Like nowhere I've ever been.

Edited by urbanvb

Wegman's will not be coming to Hilltop. At least not to the K-mart site. My source tells me that they took a hard look at the site but decided not to make a move there. They have apparently determined that they need only one location in SHR, and that will be somewhere near Town Center. They will also build one location on the Peninsula.

The K-mart site has already been leased. While my source could not reveal to me who was taking the site, he/she indicated that it will be another big box retailer, with construction starting in early 2016.

I would bet that it is Kroger Marketplace.

Regarding the assertion that Hilltop might be oversaturated in the grocery arena, Whole Foods at Hilltop has exceeded initial sales projections by 250%. That store is grossing nearly $900 per sq ft, or about $35 million a year. That, folks, is DOUBLE the output of Richmond's Short Pump WF! Be on the lookout for Jeff Metzger's June 15th Top 20 Grocers market report in Food World mag.

I agree regarding Wegmans @HQ; however, many local real estate folks think that Wegmans might be missing the boat in only building one store on the Southside instead of one at Hilltop and another at Greenbrier/Battlefield. After all, Richmond is getting two Wegmans within 7 miles of each other. I think the stellar performance of The VB Trader Joe's and Whole Foods, plus the Fresh Market, coupled with our relatively larger population base and competitive demographics, should have convinced them that we also merited two stores down here. Also, treating us almost as equals with the Peninsula is strange. I just hope they bring their "A" store if they're only going to give us one. That would be somewhere approaching 140,000 ft.².

I agree. Just like folks from Norfolk and Chesapeake drive to WF. I think Chesapeake is especially undeserved with high end grocery stores. There is a sizeable affluent population that is not being served in their community. One in Chesapeake would draw from there and Norfolk. And I agree two stores on the Southside would do quite well.

Edited by urbanvb

That reminds me...I was in Lynnhaven earlier this week, and snapped a pic of the new commons area. The doors in the center lead out to the courtyard and movie theater. I miss the food court that used to be upstairs. It's still an open space, but it seems so....."cozy".

Picture quality could be better, but I think you get the idea ha...

post-25048-0-74609200-1432969214_thumb.j

Edited by BFG