Virginia Beach Stores, Retail, and Restaurants

vdogg

• 1 month later...

I was noticing The Cafe last night when I rode by. The patio really is neat especially at night with the stringed lights they have. They have a great visibility on the corner as well. I'll have to check them out.

Edited by urbanvb
  • Like 1

Found a site plan for Pembroke Mall. HomeGoods is going when Jason's Deli was.

http://madisonmarquette.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/Pembroke-Mall-Site-Plan-2.4.15.pdf

That's a great addition. They have another location near the Target near Red Mill which is quite nice.

The scheme is a great find. I see the bowling alley is also shown. The Fresh Market is very small though and a little disappointing. Maybe it will be larger than it appears. I hope all of this comes to fruition.

Edited by urbanvb

That's a great addition. They have another location near the Target near Red Mill which is quite nice.

The scheme is a great find. I see the bowling alley is also shown. The Fresh Market is very small though and a little disappointing. Maybe it will be larger than it appears. I hope all of this comes to fruition.

I don't think the Fresh Market looks that small The Uptown Alley is 46,539 sq ft per the diagram and the Fresh Market looks to be about 2/3 the size. That would put the FM at about 30K sq ft, which isn't THAT small. It's going to be a great addition to the area.

I find it interesting that Bahama Breeze is absent on this plan though. Is something happening to it that I've missed?

• 3 weeks later...

I find it interesting that Bahama Breeze is absent on this plan though. Is something happening to it that I've missed?

Bahama Breeze is #10.  I doesn't see to show the girth of the patio roof, but the physical buiding itself.

What's happening to the shops displaced by Uptown Alley?

Bahama Breeze is #10.  I doesn't see to show the girth of the patio roof, but the physical buiding itself.

What's happening to the shops displaced by Uptown Alley?

I figured that they probably just didn't include every store on the map. I just found it interesting that Bahama Breeze was one of the omissions. 

Also good find Brennan on the FM's square footage. I looked for it and didn't know where to look. I actually think the FM space looks a bit bigger than Off Broadway. Maybe closer to 25000 sq ft? That's not bad for a Fresh Market.

I agree wholeheartedly. It's really too bad City Walk never got off the ground. That said it's been empty and neglected for years. It will be great for something to go in there finally. It's hard to believe such a prime piece of real estate has sat empty for so long. 

City Walk died with the recession.  Once Sifen bought the site any hope went down the drain.  Hopefully this site staying retail and getting redeveloped will allow the retailers on Constitution to relocate to make way for expansion on that block.  Wegman's would be a great start.

The rumor mill on the Hilltop Kmart seems to be shifting towards a Walmart Supercenter.  IMO, the worst outcome for this site besides vacancy.

Their plan is to sell off or lease the real estate. Liquidating and closing the stores would hurt the value of the real estate and put other tenants at risk. With that said they aren't afraid to close them and leave them vacant. There's been there kmarts and two sears that have have closed and been vacant but the three kmarts have all since been replaced. 

Please,  not another Walmart. They all look the same inside. I was hoping the one at Town Center would look a little different inside since the outside was not your standard facade but it wasn't the case. 

Edited by urbanvb

Please,  not another Walmart. They all look the same inside. I was hoping the one at Town Center would look a little different inside since the outside was not your standard facade but it wasn't the case. 

The one's in DC are your basic Walmart on the inside as well, so I was expecting much on the interior.

I heard on good authority today that the site of the former K-mart at Hilltop will indeed become a Walmart.  Since it is not in TC, I imagine it will have the look of a more traditional Walmart than the TC location.

Also, I would love to see a Wegmans come to TC, regardless of whether that is 'urban" or not.  If true, will be a lot of grocery options right there in the TC area, what with a Fresh Market supposedly coming and the Walmart and then they add a Wegmans to the mix...wow.

Edited by likeminded

So, for all intents and purposes, is the original VB plan for the Pembroke Area no longer valid? I thought all of the land east of where the WalMart is now was specified to be the city's new CBD, ie. high rises and office towers.

Hmmm...I'd say dead is a bit of an overstatement, stifled would be a better word. This was always a long term plan, and to be honest, there simply isn't the development pressure to build that high and that dense on such a large scale....yet. Armada Hoffler purchasing the Constitution property will go a long way towards mitigating this, and stop the local Sifen's dead in their tracks. The east side of Town Center will be developed first, which is fine. Once that is fully developed and light rail is in place then you will start to see true pressure on developers to start building up to maximize space, and these big box retailers will start to fall. The Pembroke plan, when fully built out, presents a downtown comparable to what Charlotte is today. That's a lot considering where we're coming from, and will take a looong time to fully realize. I'm thinking of timescales on the 20-30 year range. Probably more.

Let me add to the chorus on Tupelo Honey Cafe. Great craft beer, great food, and great atmosphere. Decor is superb as well. I think this place is going to be a stand out signature restaurant for Town Center. This place is quite busy and patio is packed and it's only 2 pm. Do yourselves a favor and check it out if you haven't had the chance to.

• Like 1